BinaxNOW testing question

famof4togo

Chiming in to say it's a real good idea to have an extra on hand....  b/c sometimes the person taking the test forgets to ensure his laptop has plenty of battery left on it and the computer will die in the middle of the 15 minute waiting period.... which means you have to start over.  Ask my husband how he knows  🙂 

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, b8nkr said:

Please forgive me as I am still trying to understand….but, why not just take the test at Walgreens or cvs and get the results from them?

I couldn't find a rapid test option at any CVS or Walgreens near me a few months ago when I started to research what I needed to cruise, so I ordered a box of these kits.  (This was at the height of omicron when testing was very hard to come by.)    Things have improved since then but when it was time for my cruise, I still couldn't find a convenient location for the rapid test so I just went ahead with the e-med test and it was great and easy to do from my own home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, b8nkr said:

Please forgive me as I am still trying to understand….but, why not just take the test at Walgreens or cvs and get the results from them?

Those test and appointments are drying up fast. Other than the home proctored test I’m afraid There won’t be any other options when we cruise at the end of April.

• Like 1

Successfully navigated the home proctored test last night, after some hiccups. Looking at (I guess OLD) videos, it appeared like it could be done on a laptop. I soon learned that's no longer the case. I was having connection issues with their (and apparently my) video/audio. My home internet is robust - but for some reason last night the connection via my phone was glitchy. I switched to 5G and all was well. I'm glad I didn't get further along into the process and have the connection drop initially - I'd rather not open up another test if I don't have to.

We have 4 tests remaining, and 3 more Carnival cruises between now and Sept (we'll need 6 tests for that, plus backups) so time to order more tests!

Tom

• Like 1

@Tom-n-Cheryl I need to complete our 3 tests before Sat. for Vista. We used a laptop Christmas Day with no problem. I had read some had trouble with their phone camera switching from front to back. Why would a laptop not work now?

Edited by mondello
Correction

15 minutes ago, mondello said:

@Tom-n-Cheryl I need to complete our 3 tests before Sat. for Vista. We used a laptop Christmas Day with no problem. I had read some had trouble with their phone camera switching from front to back. Why would a laptop not work now?

I saw no option for that - it only kept referring to "the app" for mobile - so I assumed it was streamlined (could be wrong)!

26 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I saw no option for that - it only kept referring to "the app" for mobile - so I assumed it was streamlined (could be wrong)!

You've been on so many cruises I thought you could test in your sleep. I put the Navica app on wife's phone and it sends me to eMed to test. I'll be done by tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, mondello said:

You've been on so many cruises I thought you could test in your sleep. I put the Navica app on wife's phone and it sends me to eMed to test. I'll be done by tomorrow.

The easiest (and least expensive) testing option for us has always been a walk-in place just a mile or so away from our house. We'd go there, get tested (several times) and walk out with the results and no bill -- they fully accepted our insurance payment. When we went to get tested for our 3/11 sailing, they then began adding a $50 copay per person (I guess the $185 they received from BCBS for each of our previous tests was insufficient...).

So - into the world of home testing we go!

Tom

• Thanks 1

We also will be entering the home testing circut. I have read many comments and only have one question left. The after process. Once the test is done,  assume an email is sent? Do you get a QR code? What is the process for showing this test result for the cruise. Thank you in advance.

Patricia

Just now, nol4am said:

We also will be entering the home testing circut. I have read many comments and only have one question left. The after process. Once the test is done,  assume an email is sent? Do you get a QR code? What is the process for showing this test result for the cruise. Thank you in advance.

Patricia

They sent an PDF via email within a few minutes. I printed that out, and captured an image of it to upload to the Verifly app - which was accepted in under 10 minutes.

Tom

I’m glad to read all this information as I’m planning on using a proctored test for my April cruise.  Walgreens and Rite Aid in our area aren’t testing non-symptomatic people and I would have to drive 50 miles to a testing center and pay $49.  I’d rather use the BinaxNow proctored test.  Someone reported having problems using a laptop.  I’m planning on using my iPad.  I’m assuming that will work fine, right?

For what's it worth - when I first was connected to someone (out of the 4 I spoke to - all with Indian accents - a couple that were challenging to understand), they had me scan the box code and then my driver's license. Once she saw that she said that my middle name was not entered into the app, and that might cause a problem - suggesting I disconnect and then go back and edit my name -- adding my middle name after my first where the app asks for "FIRST NAME", I started to say "well, why doesn't the app have a place for a middle name - since most people have one..." lol, then I thought, nope - roll with it.

So, I went in and added my middle name. Cheryl started hers in the meantime and was told the same thing. At that point I said just go forward with it as is. Again, if they perceive this is an issue (enough to evidently bring it up every time), then put in the DARN space for us to add a middle name in the app... geesh. Stuff like that just makes this more fun than it has to be.

Tom

35 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

They sent an PDF via email within a few minutes. I printed that out, and captured an image of it to upload to the Verifly app - which was accepted in under 10 minutes.

Tom

Verifly is not accepting my emed test result qr code. I'm vaxxed and boosted so did proctor test this morning. So frustrated

18 minutes ago, txgranny said:

Verifly is not accepting my emed test result qr code. I'm vaxxed and boosted so did proctor test this morning. So frustrated

I'm not putting much stock in Verifly, others have tried it and still needed to bring all the documentation. 

1 hour ago, mondello said:

I'm not putting much stock in Verifly, others have tried it and still needed to bring all the documentation. 

I'll bring printed. But on verifly it says 72 hrs do another covid attestation after upload of neg test.

Just a few comments:

I absolutely did not understand my proctor with his thick accent.  My wife interpreted for me.  If not for her, I would not have been able to complete the process unless they allowed a change of proctor.

On the deal with the cell phone camera automatically switching from front to back:  can not confirm, but both wife and I felt like it switched on us at a point that we were to perform a certain action, like maybe taking a picture of our license or something.  At least that was our recollection.  Both our proctors acted like this had never happened before.  Most important, though, it did not nullify our tests.

If using a laptop, set your camera up before beginning your test.  Make sure that it captures both you and the box as it sits flat on the table.

If using a smart phone, and you have an available helper, let the helper hold and operate the camera once you are live with the proctor.  Before you are live, you need to have control of the phone as you answer some questions.  Do a dry run so that your helper knows the best position to hold the phone so that you and the test box (sitting flat on the table) are clearly in the frame.

If using a smart phone, but you don't have an available helper, make sure there is a way that you can set up the phone, with you and the test box clearly visible, so that you can perform actions as directed without have to hold the phone.

Make sure your area is well lit, but angle things to avoid glares.  I had some issues of light reflecting off my drivers license as the camera tried to capture the image.

All in all, I might prefer the in-person testing (especially since my insurance specifically covers it).  But like some, there are times it is difficult to find a place doing rapid tests, and there have been occasional issues on getting the results of the other kind of test in a timely manner.  But, home proctored testing is still a good, viable option.

• Like 3

This is the one "fly in the soup" concern I wish we could get rid of. Just another box to check, tough to do with the time frame and airline reservations, etc.   If you have Vaccine #1 shot, Vaccine #2 shot and Booster...then I think showing a valid CDC card should be enough.

• Like 1