Electric Car for 3?

Takoyaki

Planning to be in Bermuda in April and would absolutely love to rent an electric vehicle to do some sight seeing on our own terms, but we are a family of 3 and all I am seeing is 2 seaters. I am also 6'2'' and a bit chubby if that changes anything. any advice?

TIA

16 minutes ago, Takoyaki said:

Planning to be in Bermuda in April and would absolutely love to rent an electric vehicle to do some sight seeing on our own terms, but we are a family of 3 and all I am seeing is 2 seaters. I am also 6'2'' and a bit chubby if that changes anything. any advice?

TIA

You are only seeing two seaters because there are only two seaters available. The electric cars for rent in Bermuda are limited by law to the two seat minicars and by law to only two occupants. So even if you were a family of three small people it would not be allowed.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You are only seeing two seaters because there are only two seaters available. The electric cars for rent in Bermuda are limited by law to the two seat minicars and by law to only two occupants. So even if you were a family of three small people it would not be allowed.

Thanks!

I was thinking that may be the case but I saw some 4 seaters for sale and got confused. May just consider renting 2 or a scooter and a mini car then.

Appreciate the help!

On 3/15/2022 at 3:14 PM, Takoyaki said:

Thanks!

I was thinking that may be the case but I saw some 4 seaters for sale and got confused. May just consider renting 2 or a scooter and a mini car then.

Appreciate the help!

For safety, skip the scooter and go for two of the electric cars. Far too many accidents due to narrow, curved roads and lack of left hand driving skills with scooters.  Plus, having a little extra space in a vehicle for a beach bag or shopping items will be appreciated. Our last trip to Bermuda, prior to C-19, we resesrved and picked up our vehicle at the Hamilton Princess.  Turned left out of the parking lot and headed along the road to be sure we were familiar with the handling of the vehicle. It's more like a golf cart, driven on the left side of the road. I've driven in the UK and found the mimi vehicles far easier to manage - still need to concentrate and mind the round-a-bouts. The rental place loaded the map APP onto my phone and I plugged the phone into the vehicle's USB port. At night, we parked the mini against a massive wall that had a bank of chargers, located behind the first group of shops as you return to the Dockyard. Overall, a great way to explore the island, one which I would do again.

Darcy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruising to Retirement said:

Can you rent the vehicle at the dockyard?  How much was it roughly, did you rent it for the entire time you were in Bermuda or just a day?  We are on Norwegian Joy - arrive on 5/18 at 9am- 5/20 3pm...Anh advice is appreciated...  

There is another company rental place at the Dockyard, slightly larger mini, but  more $$. I think it was affiliated with Oleander, the cycle rental company. When we rented ours we called and confirm through Current Vehicles, a Twizy. At that time they only had pick up at the Hamilton Princess. We took the first ferry across the Sound upon our arrival in Bermuda. We kept the vehicle the entire time on the island, returning it the morning of our cruise return, then ferry back to the Dockyard. Google search for current rates. 

When we got to the Princess, we watched people get "road tested" by driving out of the parking lot and back in. It was great fun to have the freedom to explore on our own terms and stop when we wanted to look at sights, quick visit to a beach, enjoy the aquarium, visit a shop and drive along side streets.  We got to the Swizzle Inn, parked at a charging station [the apps show all the places], have a drink and light snack, then headed to St George, follow the signs for parking. Prior to leaving home, we did our own map, and knew what we wanted to see and what tourist site to avoid.

Darcy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WatchHill said:

There is another company rental place at the Dockyard, slightly larger mini, but  more $$. I think it was affiliated with Oleander, the cycle rental company. When we rented ours we called and confirm through Current Vehicles, a Twizy. At that time they only had pick up at the Hamilton Princess. We took the first ferry across the Sound upon our arrival in Bermuda. We kept the vehicle the entire time on the island, returning it the morning of our cruise return, then ferry back to the Dockyard. Google search for current rates. 

When we got to the Princess, we watched people get "road tested" by driving out of the parking lot and back in. It was great fun to have the freedom to explore on our own terms and stop when we wanted to look at sights, quick visit to a beach, enjoy the aquarium, visit a shop and drive along side streets.  We got to the Swizzle Inn, parked at a charging station [the apps show all the places], have a drink and light snack, then headed to St George, follow the signs for parking. Prior to leaving home, we did our own map, and knew what we wanted to see and what tourist site to avoid.

Darcy

Just googled Bermuda Rental Car, looks like $191. for a full 24 hours and they have a location right at the Royal Naval Dockyard, seems like a neat way to get around the island... You did not have any problem with Charging stations throughout the island?  How long time wise did a decent charge take?  Thank you for your assistance.. 

Sounds like Oleander for the rental. The vehicle was fully charged when we got it, just gave it an hour charge while we were having a rum swizzle, and then continued to explore the island all day, returning near dusk. We then just did an overnight charge, plugging it in along that wall close to where you enter the dodckyard area.  Best to ask when you rent to confirm how long a charge takes, though probably  a few hours would do. There are lots of charging stations throughout the island, be sure you have their road map app that shows all the places. 

Lock in that rental ASAP, dont' wait untilyou arrive as they'll be all taken.

Electric vehicles are the way of the future and the future is now. I'm seeing more and more places to charge a vehicle in our area, SE MA - even saw a new  bank of them at a major truck stop off 495 and US Rt 1. 

Darcy

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2022 at 3:30 PM, WatchHill said:

At night, we parked the mini against a massive wall that had a bank of chargers, located behind the first group of shops as you return to the Dockyard. Overall, a great way to explore the island, one which I would do again.

Darcy

I was wondering what we would do with it at night or if you just return it. Is there a charge for parking it there? So, when returning to the dock, it's behind the first set of shops?

18 minutes ago, KristieB said:

I was wondering what we would do with it at night or if you just return it. Is there a charge for parking it there? So, when returning to the dock, it's behind the first set of shops?

When you return to the dockage area, we took a left turn, behind the shops, and parked beside a huge very tall old fortress wall. There were multiple charging stations along that wall, so we plugged in for both nights that we had the vehicle.  Given all the places  we explored on the island, I don't recall paying for any parking. For reference, check with the place you rented the vehicle as they may have a separate parking location, though any place in the Dock Yard is still an easy walk back to the ship. 

Darcy

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, KristieB said:

There are no parking charges at the Dockyard. The different electric rental companies have parking spots for their vehicles with chargers for their type of vehicle. The lot for Oleander rentals is nearby the Clock Tower Mall on Camber.

image.thumb.png.1386b73c6788ddfa61087a7aebcd26c1.png

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2