Piraeus Port Information re NCL

casofilia

29 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Where does the Jade dock in Piraeus?

Does NCL provide transport (a shuttle) from/to the ship to/from "downtown" Piraeus?   Especially on a Sunday?

https://www.ncl.com/port-of-call/cruises-to-athens-piraeus

29 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Does NCL provide transport (a shuttle) from/to the ship to/from "downtown" Piraeus?   Especially on a Sunday?

Not unless you pay for it under their shore excursions, I am planning on taking a taxi.  

Athens & Piraeus Open Air Sightseeing Debark Tour

Edited by ISLABONITA

11 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@ISLABONITA

Thank you.   However there are 3 cruise terminals in Piraeus, I wondered which NCL used for Jade so I can see the walk time to the "downtown" Piraeus if there is no free transport.

Not a walkable distance , especially if you have luggage.  25 min taxi ride, Cruise ships dock at the New Passenger Terminal, one mile from the center of Piraeus and eight miles from Athens.Map from Piraeus Harbour to Athens

Edited by ISLABONITA

@ISLABONITA

I want to get to PIRAEUS "downtown" not into Athens!!!

There are 3 Cruise Terminals in Piraeus; "C" is the furthest from "downtown".

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Piraeus+City+Hall,+Platia+Korai,+Pireas,+Greece/Cruise+Terminal+C,+Pireas+185+38,+Greece/@37.9400858,23.6338603,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x14a1bbe867eda0b9:0xfe346812bbbfc092!2m2!1d23.6470417!2d37.9419918!1m5!1m1!1s0x14a1bbd729ccbc7b:0x9782000d8cc13faa!2m2!1d23.6294576!2d37.9391154!3e2   shows the time/distance from "C" to "City Hall".   I am hoping that the Jade is NOT at "C" but at "B" or, even better "A".

1 minute ago, casofilia said:

@ISLABONITA

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Piraeus+City+Hall,+Platia+Korai,+Pireas,+Greece/Cruise+Terminal+C,+Pireas+185+38,+Greece/@37.9400858,23.6338603,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x14a1bbe867eda0b9:0xfe346812bbbfc092!2m2!1d23.6470417!2d37.9419918!1m5!1m1!1s0x14a1bbd729ccbc7b:0x9782000d8cc13faa!2m2!1d23.6294576!2d37.9391154!3e2   shows the time/distance from "C" to "City Hall".   I am hoping that the Jade is NOT at "C" but at "B" or, even better "A".

OH sorry, misread your post.  Well I am sure you can get an answer by googling it.

11 hours ago, casofilia said:

@ISLABONITA

Thank you. "What's in Port" talks about "Free Shuttles" but there is no more information.   I presume it means from the Island ships docks.

The port provides a free shuttle bus from Terminals B and C over to Terminal A where all the public transportation services are based.  So if you're on a ship that arrives at B or C,  you would get off the ship and get on the shuttle to Terminal A.  From there, you can proceed out the front door and go where you want.  I'm not sure what your definition of "downtown Piraeus is.  From Terminal A, it is about a 20-30 minute walk to the Piraeus metro station, if that's where you're going.  I did the walk twice on a B2B several years ago.  I walked at a decent pace (I wasn't lallygagging around on the way there!).  There was a small group of maybe 20 people (all strangers) who headed off to the metro station on foot together from the ship -- we were in the first shuttle bus off the ship.  

Mike, we cruised on the Jade last year. There is no guarantee it will be the same this year but she used Terminal B for the full season last year.

Depending on your location in Athens, there is a bus X80, which travels between the port and central Athens. There are few stops but they include the cruise terminals A and B, one on the main road near the Acropolis and one in Syntagma Square. The cost was €4.50 but may have increased. It's main purpose is for day visitors but I have heard that embarking/disembarking cruisers also use it.

This is an old link but may lead you to something more current.

https://news.gtp.gr/2018/05/10/bus-line-x80-links-acropolis-athens-center-piraeus-port/

• Like 1

I just had that exact question two days ago!  I called up NCL with this question. Which pier in Piraeus does Jade dock at? Miaoulis (“Pier A”), Alkimos (“Pier B”) or Thermistocles (“Pier C”)? We are about 90 days out. 

The answer from NCL rep that I know is knowledgeable, was that they do not know yet.  I have no idea when NCL will know, but I assume it should be at least several prior to the sailing.  All piers are on the southern portion of the harbor.  For more info, see https://www.olp.gr/en/services/cruise-terminal

On 3/17/2022 at 10:24 PM, casofilia said:

I just had that exact question two days ago!  I called up NCL with this question. Which pier in Piraeus does Jade dock at? Miaoulis (“Pier A”), Alkimos (“Pier B”) or Thermistocles (“Pier C”)? We are about 90 days out. 

The answer from NCL rep that I know is knowledgeable, was that they do not know yet.  I have no idea when NCL will know, but I assume it should be at least several prior to the sailing.  All piers are on the southern portion of the harbor.  For more info, see https://www.olp.gr/en/services/cruise-terminal

On 3/17/2022 at 10:48 PM, ISLABONITA said:

I am deeply disappointed in NCL's answer about Piraeus port of call.  

Of course, I know that we will embark in Piraeus.  Any moron with Google can find the port city.  That is NOT the problem.

What I, as well as others, including @casofilia wants to know, is just exactly where do we embark (or where will the ship dock)?  The port is huge: it covers 39 km2.  Where do we go to get on the ship?  

Do better, NCL.

On 3/17/2022 at 11:24 PM, casofilia said:

@ISLABONITA

Actually, Pier B is further away from the metro than the Pier C. 

From east to west, along the southern shore of the harbor, it is

metro station 37.948°N 23.647°E,

Pier A 37.939°N 23.636°E,

Pier C 37.939°N 23.629°E, and

Pier B 37.936°N 23.624°E

But, if there are shuttles between the piers, as @MeHeartCruising posted, it makes little difference.

1 hour ago, pdmlynek said:

In the Excel spreadsheet located on the page linked in the above message, you can see which terminal each ship is scheduled to dock at.  The Norwegian Jade appears to be assigned to Terminal B almost all of the times she docks.  However, she is assigned to Terminal C for one cruise each in July, September, and October.  

Of course, I'm sure the Port of Athens has the right to move them around as needed to accommodate business needs.  

@casofilia @pdmlynek

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

In the Excel spreadsheet located on the page linked in the above message, you can see which terminal each ship is scheduled to dock at.  The Norwegian Jade appears to be assigned to Terminal B almost all of the times she docks.  However, she is assigned to Terminal C for one cruise each in July, September, and October.  

Of course, I'm sure the Port of Athens has the right to move them around as needed to accommodate business needs.  

@casofilia @pdmlynek

Wow, thanks!  That is so great that you've found it.  I totally missed that. (I guess it is similar to when I look for orange juice in the fridge and I can't see it.)

• Like 1

I would just mention that the public #843 bus is another option for moving around Pireaus (such as from any of the port areas to the train station) for those who do not like long walks.  I believe that if you have a valid train ticket (such as from Athens to Pireaus on the Green Line) you can use that ticket on the bus if you do not want to walk to/from the port.

Hank

• Thanks 1