Dyea Dave Tours, Skagway

kjpabl

Good afternoon, my DH and I toured Skagway and the Yukon in a Dyea Dave tour van with a trip back down to Skagway via the WP&Y RR from Frasier on our last Alaskan cruise back in 2011. I have waited to reschedule, and we are finally heading back to AK on a Princess ship out of Seattle this July. I wanted to reschedule our Skagway trip as we are bringing our daughter and grandson with us this time and he loves trains. But when the Canadien government finally opened for cruise passengers, and I tried to contact them their website is gone, and their phone is no longer functioning. Did the cruise pause put them out of business? We really enjoyed the personal attention and the small group tour we experienced with them. If they are done, is Chilkoot Tours a viable alternative?

Yes he passed away, but the company is still in existence.. Found them on Facebook and awaiting word whether or not they will be doing the tours this year.  We are hoping they will be able to since they should be able to cross the border into Canada now.  This was their most recent post from March 15:

Hi!
Frank is going to be home this coming Sunday and will drive to Canadian Customs to see what they are planning. Then we will know for sure!!

Edited by puppymama1
  • Like 1

I too looked them up.  I was booked with them for 2020 which, of course, didn't happen.  (That was supposed to be my first cruise, which is now going to be this summer.)  Then I learned that Dave passed away and also saw, like you, that the website was gone.  I did also find their Facebook page.  It sounded to me like they are hoping to book people for this summer but aren't ready yet. 

Thank you to all who replied. I am sorry to hear of Dave's passing. I will check their Facebook page, and also look into Chilkoot Tours. When we toured Skagway last, we took Dave's van up to Emerald Lake with 2 other couples. So, there were only 6 of us along with the driver and she stopped anytime one of us asked to take pictures. There was a stop in Carcross for lunch and checking out the "world's smallest desert".  On our return journey my DH and I along with one of the other couples boarded the WP&Y RR at Fraser to get back to Skagway. We rode the same train as all of the "ship excursions" did. We watched the tour busses pull up at Fraser and unpack all their passengers and load them onto the cars 'reserved' for them. However, they were packed into the cars all together and the 4 of us got a car to ourselves. We could hear and see the passengers trading off time on the platform to take pictures, while my husband and I and the other couple had our platform (and car) entirely to ourselves. It was truly special. We did get to meet Dave at one point. He was very happy and enjoyed chatting with several of us. One reason I would always prefer doing independent excursions.

Thank you for recommending Chilkoot... We just booked the Yukon Klondike Adventure tour with them.  Still no update on Dyea Dave's Facebook page, no reply to the message I sent them, and it doesn't even look like they have read the message yet... It made us nervous , and we wanted a more reliable, stable company, so we went with Chilkoot... Hopefully this is the year we finally get to see Alaska! 

Emerald Lake is the reason I had originally booked with Dyea Dave tours back in 2020.  I really like the idea of seeing it, and the Princess excursions don't go there. But, I have now booked a Princess excursion b/c I want the ease of it with my first cruise.  I hope I'm not really missing out then.  I could always cancel I suppose and rebook with something like Chilkoot......

9 hours ago, quack2 said:The interesting part of the drive to me is the opportunity to see bears along the highway.

This is why most people go. Emerald like isn’t the greatest sight most have seen, but it’s a reason to go further into the Yukon to see wildlife and other scenery.

• 3 weeks later...

After seeing the news about the Skagway railroad not doing rail tours into Canada (from April 7) I checked Dyea Dave tours' facebook page.  There was a post there from April 2 saying they aren't doing tours in 2022 due to all the uncertainty.  I tried to get that to link her but my computer isn't obeying.  If you go to FB and search for Dyea Dave Tours you'll find it.

On 3/22/2022 at 10:39 PM, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

That's pretty much why I gave up Emerald Lake for the convenience of just taking Princess' tour.  I've seen the "Emerald Coast" of Destin, FL now and that was green water too.

I have seen Emerald Lake 2x on a Princess tour after lunch. They would often do it if there is time. It was never on the itinerary though.

For those going on Princess - just ask the guide if it can be added.

Edited by Coral

I ended up booking a similar tour with Chilkoot Tours & Charters. Unfortunately, I just received an email stating the WP&Y RR has cancelled all Frasier or Bennett train departures for the 2022 season. We are currently trying to decide between a few other tour options they offer.

• 2 years later...