Tell a Newbie How to Get the Extra Voyagers Discount

Av8tor

We status matched to Diamond (Black) just before covid hit.  Now, we're finally ready to actually cruise again and I'm not sure how the voyager discounts work.  On the US website, I can search for them (such as 5%+15%) and see a bunch of cruises without logging in.  Selecting one and starting a mock booking, I found an 11 night caribbean cruise Dec 2022 in Yacht Club for $3229pp.  

I think that's the full fare price before any discounts because when I log in with my Voyagers Club #, the same cruise shows $3067pp which just reflects the standard 5% discount.  

How/When does the extra 15% discount get added??

Thanks,

Paul

I'm just looking for now and trying to find out how to "see" the extra 15% discount if that's even possible without actually making a real booking.

As I test, I was looking at Mera - 11 nights - Dec 4, 2022

You must click on the 5+15% link in the voyages selection and search cruise and date. If you find it, the 5+15 will reflect immediately. If it is no listed, no 5+15 available (unsurprising). 

For Mera 11 nights from Dec 4 the full 5+15 is available and will immediately deducted on step 1 of the booking already. But maybe not for every market that I don´t know. 

9 hours ago, Av8tor said:

We status matched to Diamond (Black) just before covid hit.  Now, we're finally ready to actually cruise again and I'm not sure how the voyager discounts work.  On the US website, I can search for them (such as 5%+15%) and see a bunch of cruises without logging in.  Selecting one and starting a mock booking, I found an 11 night caribbean cruise Dec 2022 in Yacht Club for $3229pp.  

I think that's the full fare price before any discounts because when I log in with my Voyagers Club #, the same cruise shows $3067pp which just reflects the standard 5% discount.  

How/When does the extra 15% discount get added??

Thanks,

Paul

YC Royal Suite deals r available 👍

535E76AE-661F-40D9-8C80-062AEA3D4CBA.jpeg

Firstly the cruise needs to be listed for the extra discount as others have said.

We got a better Voyager Selection price than the (5%+15%) by talking to MSC booking agent.  She entered all cruise details and voyager number and price was even further reduced, due to being a pensioner.

On 3/20/2022 at 11:00 PM, perakcruiser said:

You must click on the 5+15% link in the voyages selection and search cruise and date. If you find it, the 5+15 will reflect immediately. If it is no listed, no 5+15 available (unsurprising). 

This feature is not working on USA MSC site currently.

Only discount shown is 5%

. Even if it appears you are on 5+15 voyages section.

Voyagers Selections cruises not loading.

I guess calling is the only option.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, phissy said:

This feature is not working on USA MSC site currently.

Only discount shown is 5%

. Even if it appears you are on 5+15 voyages section.

Voyagers Selections cruises not loading.

I guess calling is the only option.

Thanks for that.

In your experience, If the cruise is shown on the USA 5+15 webpage, will an agent be able to give the extra +15% or are the listings on each 5+10 or 5+15 not even accurate?

58 minutes ago, Av8tor said:

In your experience, If the cruise is shown on the USA 5+15 webpage, will an agent be able to give the extra +15% or are the listings on each 5+10 or 5+15 not even accurate?

So far, I've been able to add it to every cruise that was eligible. Even if it wasn't 5%+15% when I booked, I was able to add it later when it did become 5%+15% and it wasn't a cancel/rebook. The 15% discount was added to my already lower price. Sometimes, booking early will give a lower price but not the 15% discount. If the date is later added to the 15% discount dates, the deal might not be as good if the base fare has also gone up. 

If the new fare is higher, I keep what I have and add the 15% discount.

If the new fare is lower, I cancel/rebook and take the 15% discount. 

It's best to know your numbers before you call. 

I did call this morning, pacific time. Quick connect to an agent.

Needed to change cabin back to our original selection.

Agent was very nice and changed it back, as it was still available.

Received new booking confirmation with our original booking number.

Noticed under price details, they charged us another deposit for this cruise.

Called back and quickly got another agent. They could not explain additional YC Deposit added to our booking. Due date for payment is todays date. 
So, I can see that accounting is a mess. No wonder others are being charged more after final payment. Ours is now additional $798

While I had agent on phone, asked to check if our cruise was Voyagers Selection cruise with 5+15%.
She did confirm that indeed it was and said our TA had to call to get it repriced.

Price for this cruise is now much less than when we booked last summer.
$9940 when booked, now $8815.

So early booking is not always the lowest.

TA working on it now.

Both times, agents were very nice and responsive. 

Edited by phissy

On 3/24/2022 at 8:25 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

So far, I've been able to add it to every cruise that was eligible. Even if it wasn't 5%+15% when I booked, I was able to add it later when it did become 5%+15% and it wasn't a cancel/rebook. The 15% discount was added to my already lower price. Sometimes, booking early will give a lower price but not the 15% discount. If the date is later added to the 15% discount dates, the deal might not be as good if the base fare has also gone up. 

If the new fare is higher, I keep what I have and add the 15% discount.

If the new fare is lower, I cancel/rebook and take the 15% discount. 

It's best to know your numbers before you call. 

If you do that with a YC booking, wouldn't the deposit be forfitted?

55 minutes ago, Av8tor said:

If you do that with a YC booking, wouldn't the deposit be forfitted?

So far, I haven't lost any deposits BUT some other forum members have lost theirs. For a long time, the confirmation PDF has had strange terms such as "Cancellation date(No penalty):...3 years before you booked" for YC deposits. More recently, MSC seems to be enforcing the "For Yacht Club, a non-refundable deposit..." part now.

I'll just crunch the numbers and determine what the best option is if the deposit is not going to be refunded. It's annoying that the website isn't showing the 5%+15% price but I can figure out what it would be once the full discount is applied. 

• Like 1

UPDATE

Today, MSC has 5 + 15% back up and working. 
Noticed , that when looking at Voyagers Selection,

5+15 is the only category showing and it is now functional.

Good news, everyone should check against their bookings. iMHO.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, phissy said:

UPDATE

Today, MSC has 5 + 15% back up and working. 

Thanks.

I just checked and the numbers work as they should. 

40 minutes ago, phissy said:

5+15 is the only category showing and it is now functional.

I noticed that 5%+15% was the only option a couple of days ago but it still wasn't working correctly. I guess these things get corrected in stages.

On 3/21/2022 at 12:02 AM, Av8tor said:

As I test, I was looking at Mera - 11 nights - Dec 4, 2022

On 3/20/2022 at 10:30 PM, Av8tor said:

Selecting one and starting a mock booking, I found an 11 night caribbean cruise Dec 2022 in Yacht Club for $3229pp.  

Now shows as $2,607.42pp  ($3,229 x .95 = $3,067.55)  ($3,067.55 x .85 = $2,607.42).

• Like 1