What happens if only one person cancels in a double occupancy cabin?

PSR

I know this has been discussed before and I should know the answer, but could not find any info with a search. I also know that if one person cancels, but the other one wants to still go on the cruise, the fare is (probably) doubled. My question is: can you use the unrefunded amount of the first person to apply to the second person's cruise fare, or does HAL keep the  first person's fare and require you to also pay more to reach the fare for a single person?  For example, Person 1 pays $3000, Person 2 pays $3000 to equal $6000 for the cruise. If Person 1 cancels after final payment, there is no refund. Person 2 then owes (let's say) $3000 more to stay in the cabin. Does Person 2 have to pay another $3000, giving HAL $9000? This does not make sense, if Person 1 allows Person 2 to use their unused fare. I could not find the answer in HAL's Cruise Contract.  I hope my question is not confusing. 🤔

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dobiemom said:

I’m not sure about the math, but I am certain if Person 1 is Passenger 1 on the booking and cancels, the whole reservation is cancelled. 

Whoops! Sorry, Person 1 was not meant to be the original booker; I guess I should've reversed the numbers...I do understand that if the original booker cancels, that would cancel the whole trip. I'm just trying to find out if the original booker can use the fare paid by the 2nd passenger in the cabin to pay for the amount required for a solo booking.

Edited by PSR
  • Like 1

I think this is a question about insurance. Check your policy for language about single supplement. Typically the person who cancels must file a claim for reimbursement provided he is canceling for a covered reason. The remaining person is charged a single supplement because he is now sailing solo in a cabin meant for two. Many policies provide for this situation, but you must pay any fees and file for reimbursement.

• Thanks 1

Can’t answer as to insurance implications (did not have any) but a few years ago this happened to me on a HAL Alaska cruise. When my cabin mate cancelled after final payment, I did not pay any extra fare and in fact received back the port charges for the cancelled person. I was always paying for both fares so did not harm the other person. The HAL cost of the cruise with both people had already been paid so they did not view it as two separate fares collected. 

Would  be different if cancellation occurs before the full fare becomes nonrefundable but still should receive credit for the nonrefundable portion and then pay the difference. 

Incidentally, they also reduced on board credit previously stated since there was only one person in the cabin, even though I paid full cabin fare. Look at your confirmation to see if the OBC was per person or per cabin, it you have OBC and it was per person you will lose amount allocated to the second person 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Ready2go11 said:

Can’t answer as to insurance implications (did not have any) but a few years ago this happened to me on a HAL Alaska cruise. When my cabin mate cancelled after final payment, I did not pay any extra fare and in fact received back the port charges for the cancelled person. I was always paying for both fares so did not harm the other person. The HAL cost of the cruise with both people had already been paid so they did not view it as two separate fares collected. 

Would  be different if cancellation occurs before the full fare becomes nonrefundable but still should receive credit for the nonrefundable portion and then pay the difference. 

Incidentally, they also reduced on board credit previously stated since there was only one person in the cabin, even though I paid full cabin fare. Look at your confirmation to see if the OBC was per person or per cabin, it you have OBC and it was per person you will lose amount allocated to the second person 

THANK YOU! This is just the info I needed. I am paying for both fares, so have the same situation as you. I was pretty sure I had read this before, but couldn't find the info. Now my mind is at ease and one less thing to worry about!!! And I will copy it for my records...😀

My traveling partner had to cancel our upcoming Pacific Coastal cruise after final payment was made.  Cruise was rebooked as a single at the current rate.  Ended up owing another $197.00 payable within 24 hours. 

Next time will not cancel and let the second traveler be just a "no show".

• Thanks 1

PSR, maybe you could call HAL and ask them as a hypothetical “what would happen if…” then you could be sure. For clarification given previous comment, my second person was a no show, I did not cancel ahead due to timing. 

On 3/22/2022 at 4:35 PM, Ready2go11 said:

PSR, maybe you could call HAL and ask them as a hypothetical “what would happen if…” then you could be sure. For clarification given previous comment, my second person was a no show, I did not cancel ahead due to timing. 

Thank you. From previous reading (but I couldn't remember all the details that you provided), I have gathered that if one passenger decides not to go, the best decision for the passenger still going is to declare the 2nd person a "no show", rather than a cancellation. Crew News in post #7 above yours describes what can happen if you actually cancel guest #2.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 4:45 PM, PSR said:

Thank you. From previous reading (but I couldn't remember all the details that you provided), I have gathered that if one passenger decides not to go, the best decision for the passenger still going is to declare the 2nd person a "no show", rather than a cancellation. Crew News in post #7 above yours describes what can happen if you actually cancel guest #2.

I think it depends, I have seen a lot of reports of getting a refund on port taxes and fees. But maybe these would go back as an OBC if someone was a no show?

• Thanks 1