ArriveCAN

Babr

I asked this question on the Canada ports of call  forum. Several people looked at it, but no one has answered. I hope someone here can help.

Do all passengers arriving by cruise ship from the US need to upload travel information into ArriveCAN in order to visit a port or disembark at the end of a cruise?

Do I need to enter the information in a defined time period or can I do it before leaving home? I had not planned to buy a wi fi package, but I am reluctant to upload passport numbers and other personal information from a public signal in port.

I plan to spend the night at an airport hotel before an early return flight to the US. Are there procedures in place if pre-flight test is positive, such as designated hotels for quarantine?  I don’t have a quarantine plan because I don’t know what is available or allowed.

So far, the cruise line has not provided any information. I’d appreciate your advice.

41 minutes ago, Babr said:

I asked this question on the Canada ports of call  forum. Several people looked at it, but no one has answered. I hope someone here can help.

Do all passengers arriving by cruise ship from the US need to upload travel information into ArriveCAN in order to visit a port or disembark at the end of a cruise?

Do I need to enter the information in a defined time period or can I do it before leaving home? I had not planned to buy a wi fi package, but I am reluctant to upload passport numbers and other personal information from a public signal in port.

I plan to spend the night at an airport hotel before an early return flight to the US. Are there procedures in place if pre-flight test is positive, such as designated hotels for quarantine?  I don’t have a quarantine plan because I don’t know what is available or allowed.

So far, the cruise line has not provided any information. I’d appreciate your advice.

Here’s a little of what might be a start for your plan….but it is limited to coming into Canada, from a Canadian’s perspective on recent changes.   Also know that the details you’re asking are subject to change…  and might not be available just yet to the cruise line you are planning. Cruise resumption into Canada is only recent, as are the testing amendments to arrive here. Check travel.gc.ca regularly for info. I can’t say any news on US citizens returning to the US but TMK they're still subject to test….you can check that on your side….Canadians and internationals still need to.  And to address your own itinerary be prepared to look into insurance to cover you for cost of any quarantine when you are planning your trip (as we do when we might be quarantined in the US). Some cruise lines have been covering quarantine, but as of March 1 a lot changed. Alternately, if you have friends or family in Canada then you could ask them if they’re available to help you with quarantine and then say Yes if you have such an arrangement (you will be checked in on to be sure). They can not be health care workers, etc. The rules on that are on the ArriveCan app. Which very likely applies to cruisers. Though I think….that once the app is completed the job is done and you’re ready for disembarkation in Canada. The next step is flight home. Maybe this is enough info for you to begin to check all this out. 

ArriveCan is mandatory for almost all people entering Canada.

You can create an ArriveCan account and enter passport and vaccination data anytime. This can be done at home. See https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

Before arrival you log in and create a trip record that is submitted. If you have already created traveller records you will not have to re-enter their data.

There is some uncertainty as to when cruise passengers will have to complete the trip information. The announcement about resumption of cruising suggested passengers would have to complete thee process before embarkation. The ArriveCan pages indicate that marine arrivals can be done up to the time if arrival. Hopefully clarity will be achieved before any large cruise ships embark on voyages that include Canadian ports.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I’ve been trying to research it through the travel.gc.ca website, but the requirements were not entirely clear to me. Apparently, the test to enter Canada is being dropped April 1, but the test to fly back to the US is still in place in spite of pressure from the airlines to discontinue it.

I do have insurance to cover quarantine, I just don’t know how to answer the question on ArriveCAN about a quarantine plan. Will any hotel accept COVID positive? The cruise line will have no responsibility once I have disembarked.

The potential problem is the pre-departure test at the airport. If I can’t board the flight, I need to know my options and how to get the test results confirmed by a doctor in order to satisfy insurance requirements for reimbursement. Right now, I just see myself standing on the curb with my suitcase, trying to figure out how to comply  with rules from two governments and an insurance company.

I’ll just have to wait and keep checking.

20 minutes ago, Babr said:

Thanks. I’ve been trying to research it through the travel.gc.ca website, but the requirements were not entirely clear to me. Apparently, the test to enter Canada is being dropped April 1, but the test to fly back to the US is still in place in spite of pressure from the airlines to discontinue it.

I do have insurance to cover quarantine, I just don’t know how to answer the question on ArriveCAN about a quarantine plan. Will any hotel accept COVID positive? The cruise line will have no responsibility once I have disembarked.

The potential problem is the pre-departure test at the airport. If I can’t board the flight, I need to know my options and how to get the test results confirmed by a doctor in order to satisfy insurance requirements for reimbursement. Right now, I just see myself standing on the curb with my suitcase, trying to figure out how to comply  with rules from two governments and an insurance company.

I’ll just have to wait and keep checking.

No pre-entry test required of fully vaccinated travellers to visit Canada as of April 1st.

Cruise lines must make arrangements for quarantine. I would simply cite the ship and/or cruise line as the quarantine plan.

Does insurance require a doctor's letter or is a positive PCR test result document sufficient? 

While a negative test is required to fly into the US, no test is required to enter by land or sea. 

Edited by broberts

Thanks for explaining the part about ArriveCAN. I can set up the account now assuming it will be required and enter the rest of the information as necessary. I was hoping I could do it all before leaving home since none of it is time sensitive now that entry testing will not be required.

Good idea just to name the cruise line as the quarantine plan. I knew they were responsible for having a plan, and I will be under their supervision for the duration of the trip. It is that last minute test at the airport that complicates things.

Yes, the insurance company requires a doctor’s confirmation of diagnosis in order to treat it as an illness and conform to the language of the policy. I am not familiar with the health care system in Canada. Do I go to the emergency room of a hospital? Urgent care center? Public health doctor associated with quarantine? Do the testing sites have a doctor in house?

4 minutes ago, Babr said:

Thanks for explaining the part about ArriveCAN. I can set up the account now assuming it will be required and enter the rest of the information as necessary. I was hoping I could do it all before leaving home since none of it is time sensitive now that entry testing will not be required.

Good idea just to name the cruise line as the quarantine plan. I knew they were responsible for having a plan, and I will be under their supervision for the duration of the trip. It is that last minute test at the airport that complicates things.

Yes, the insurance company requires a doctor’s confirmation of diagnosis in order to treat it as an illness and conform to the language of the policy. I am not familiar with the health care system in Canada. Do I go to the emergency room of a hospital? Urgent care center? Public health doctor associated with quarantine? Do the testing sites have a doctor in house?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the BC healthcare practices. You might find http://travelclinic.vch.ca/ useful. 

I would hope that the cruise line would provide some guidance, if not assistance.

40 minutes ago, broberts said:

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the BC healthcare practices. You might find http://travelclinic.vch.ca/ useful. 

I would hope that the cruise line would provide some guidance, if not assistance.

I would hope so, too. Perhaps I’m just getting ahead of myself, and more information will be coming from them.

In the meantime, you have been helpful. I appreciate your information and suggestions.

Until the government updates ArriveCan to include cruises this is all speculation because we don't know exactly what information they will request.

But for current entries to Canada, including day trips, they do ask for an address for a quarantine plan. Find a nice hotel that you wouldn't mind staying at and use that address. You don't actually have to have arrangements to stay there, you are just saying you would plan to stay there if you were forced to quarantine. 

I also expect the cruise lines will make some arrangements for post-cruise testing as long as the US requires it to fly back, given the bulk of passengers will need one for that purpose. 

Edited by cmich068

Thanks for input. I will wait until after April 1 to complete Arrive CAN. Perhaps it will be updated to reflect the change in testing and expected influx of cruise passengers.

I will be flying out the morning after disembarkation in order to get a better flight - one that does not have me arriving home in the wee hours of the morning. That will be too late to take advantage of the ship’s testing because they will provide it the day before arrival. I’ll have to test at the airport to meet the one-day requirement for flying.

I’ve decided to take a self-test on the ship. If it is positive, I will report it so that the ship can implement its shoreside quarantine plan for me. I have insurance to help defray the costs, but it would be helpful to have the ship arrange transportation and suitable housing.