vaccinations for South America

swmrgrl

Do you need to get a yellow fever vaccination? From the info I have sound it indicates it is recommended but not legally required at this time. It also shows there is no risk of this disease in Chile, Falkland Islands and Uruguay. We're not going into jungles or rivers, but city type excursions. What have other travellers been vaccinated for when doing the South America cruise?

Things certainly could have changed in the last four years, but when I did the Rio-Santiago cruise there were no vaccination requirements. I don't even recall any such suggestions.

You are going to some marvelous places. Have a great time.

If you are taking the Amazon Cruise or are going up the Amazon. A Yellow Fever Vaccination is required. We had to have one for our Nov 04 Amazon Cruise. Your travel agent should be able to tell you what shots you need for your cruise. Penny

We also had to have the yellow fever shots on our Amazon cruise in Oct '05. We just looke up a passport health locally and they took care of all the shots and paperwork. The way I understand it is not that Brazil or even the USA requires the shot it the Carribbean countries that you visit afterwards that require it.

Trisha

You don't say exactly where you will be sailing, but back in 2001 we took the cruise from San Diego to Rio. We had to get Yellow Fever shots because they were required by Peru since we had visited Ecuador before arriving in Peru. I don't think that any of the other countries on our itinerary required the shots.

The good news is that the shots, despite all that we had heard about them, didn't hurt or cause any problems and the vaccination is good for ten years.

I agree with grannynurse that it would be a good idea to check the CDC website to make sure.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Valerie:)

We are starting in Rio and ending in Santiago. I've checked our local health advisory board and it shows as highly recommended (I'm in Canada), but several people I have talked to had the Yellow fever shot in prior years. They indicated the problem was coming back into the US after being in SA if you didn't have this vaccination. I wonder if it was becuase they went to Iguazu Falls? I am going to check out the US site and see what it says. I am very appreciative of the help offered here.

We are starting in Rio and ending in Santiago. I've checked our local health advisory board and it shows as highly recommended (I'm in Canada), but several people I have talked to had the Yellow fever shot in prior years. They indicated the problem was coming back into the US after being in SA if you didn't have this vaccination. I wonder if it was becuase they went to Iguazu Falls? I am going to check out the US site and see what it says. I am very appreciative of the help offered here.

The U.S. CDC WEB site is : http://www.cdc.gov/travel/cruiships.htm

When we did the same trip you are doing RIO to Santiago yellow fever was not required..The US does not require yellow fever, but some other countries might require it if you are going to Iguazu Falls..Check this site &/or call your travel agent or HAL..Have a wonderful cruise..It was awesome & would like to do it again..We are going to the Amazon in April & had to get the yellow fever shot as GrannyNurse pointed out..

If you are going down the west coast of So. America and ending up in Brazil, you have to have yellow fever shots to get into Brazil, but not if you were only going from Santiago to Rio (or reverse). I got them before going to Iguasu though, as it is recommended (though not required for either Argentina or Brazil). Both yellow fever and dengue fever are endemic to that area. The shots are good for 10 years, and I had no side effects other than a lighter wallet (nearly $200 total).

The World Health Organization http://www.who.int/ith/en/ or the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/travel/vaccinat.htm has the best information on immunizations required for international travel, but you can also check the websites for the individual country's embassy's in the USA.

Archived