Typaldos Lines

Anyone remember this Greek line? I had a friend who was a travel agent in the 1960's and now I have the items. A couple are unique as they are signed by the Owner of the line. One is a Christmas card and the other is a New Years Card which is unique as has a picture of one of the ships on a copper sheet in the card. There is also a signed business card by the Line's owner. I also have a nice luggage tag and a nice lil pewter keychain in the shape of a ship's wheel. 

athinai_by_wildelf34_ddp7gjp-pre.jpg

anitag.jpg

d8tnj4t-3978a255-4fdf-418f-bc83-1f78c4805a1e.jpg

typaldos_line_athinai_souvenir_and_signed_card_by_wildelf34_d8xcov1-pre.jpg

typaldos_new_years_card_by_wildelf34_d8xcpvj-fullview.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Never heard of them.  The Line must have operated solely in European waters.  

Yes and also ended being destroyed to a lot of safety and legal law suit issues finally ending the line. 

The Typaldos Lines name endures in legal contract law stemming from the lawsuit Anglo Continental Holidays Ltd v Typaldos Lines (London) Ltd.

In that case a trip was advertised for the Atlantica (with two swimming pools and spacious accommodation) but the line substituted the much smaller Angelika. Typaldos Lines also shortened a two-day call at Haifa, Israel to just eight hours. The line referred to a clause in the passenger contract that indicated, "..steamers, sailing, rates and itineraries are subject to change without prior notice." The court ruled that the substitution was a radical departure from the performance of the contract and granted monetary damages to the plaintiffs. Lord Denning said: "In my opinion a steamship company cannot rely on a clause of this kind so as to alter the substance of the transaction. The case is still cited in legal opinions regarding injury to commercial reputation.

In 1968 the Typaldos Lines owners were arrested and the company disbanded after the Greek government investigation of the SS Heraklion incident found them guilty of manslaughter and negligence and document falsification. The company's ships were taken over and sold except for two, including SS Athinai, who attracted no buyers and were subsequently laid up.

Ship Disaster Heraklion: Capsized and sank 8 December 1966: The death of over 200 people. Her demise was one of the greatest maritime disasters in Greek history.

Twelve of the company's fifteen ships had failed inspection. Haralambos Typaldos (company owner) and Panayiotis Kokkinos (general manager) were sentenced to jail.

*Gives you interesting history of this messed up line, I have these items from.

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2022 at 9:28 PM, norboy76 said:

*Gives you interesting history of this messed up line, I have these items from.

I was aware of some of the shoddy early history of some of the Greek and Italian lines.  Learning what I did, when I began to have the resources to cruise, I did not consider these companies in choosing the cruise line to begin my cruising adventures.  

On 3/31/2022 at 4:15 PM, rkacruiser said:

I was aware of some of the shoddy early history of some of the Greek and Italian lines.  Learning what I did, when I began to have the resources to cruise, I did not consider these companies in choosing the cruise line to begin my cruising adventures.  

Not related to this company but thought might find this interesting. It's the ship immigration card and a postcard for the ship one of my grandmother's came over on in 1929. The *Baltic America Line* SS Lituania

ss_lituania_immigration_card_by_wildelf34_dar5b7l-fullview.jpg

SS Lituania Postcard.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, norboy76 said:

It's the ship immigration card and a postcard for the ship one of my grandmother's came over on in 1929. The *Baltic America Line* SS Lituania

What a nice artifact to own!  She arrived in Canada just as the Great Depression was about to begin.  Do you have any knowledge of how that impacted her as she began to settle in her new home?  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

What a nice artifact to own!  She arrived in Canada just as the Great Depression was about to begin.  Do you have any knowledge of how that impacted her as she began to settle in her new home?  

Not really as she wasn't good with english, but from what I found out, she would buy a house, fix it up and resell when she wanted to move. My mom told me they moved a lot, and her parents (my mom's parents) never owned a car, always the bus or us to get them around.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Its interesting to read about this Greek Line....during the 1960's there was THE GREEK LINE that sailed out of NYC - it was notorious for bad food & dirty conditions onboard - but they were fun cruises.  We always sailed on the Italian Lines & Cunard & French Lines which had better conditions & food all round.

Interesting enough - I was told many years ago  -somewhere along  the way the old GREEK LINE morphed into CELEBRITY CRUISES w Greek Officers  - in the early to mid 1990's we did a cruise to Bermuda on the ZENITH - there was a storm - the Home lInes ships & a NCL ship stayed in NYC harbor for a day to avoid the hurricane - the ZENITH sailed directly into the storm & it was hell for 24 hours - even the ships hull was dented from the waves...we were a day late into Bermuda - never again would I  or will I sail on Celebrity.  I believe the captain was even brought on charges for endangering the welfare of the passengers & crew.

On 4/16/2022 at 9:24 AM, RICHARD@SEA said:

Its interesting to read about this Greek Line....during the 1960's there was THE GREEK LINE that sailed out of NYC - it was notorious for bad food & dirty conditions onboard - but they were fun cruises.  We always sailed on the Italian Lines & Cunard & French Lines which had better conditions & food all round.

Interesting enough - I was told many years ago  -somewhere along  the way the old GREEK LINE morphed into CELEBRITY CRUISES w Greek Officers  - in the early to mid 1990's we did a cruise to Bermuda on the ZENITH - there was a storm - the Home lInes ships & a NCL ship stayed in NYC harbor for a day to avoid the hurricane - the ZENITH sailed directly into the storm & it was hell for 24 hours - even the ships hull was dented from the waves...we were a day late into Bermuda - never again would I  or will I sail on Celebrity.  I believe the captain was even brought on charges for endangering the welfare of the passengers & crew.

I've been on 2 Celebrity cruises, my mom and dad did 6 cruises with Celebrity. The Summit, Solstice, Equinox, Infinity and Constellation. I had a friend who was a travel agent and I have a small nice sized collection of items for the Greek Line: Ashtray, menus, brochure, rates price list, postcards, 2 souvenir spoons, a daily program, a greek line pen, a fold out brochure that opens up into 1 big square and 2 decks of playing cards.

Edited by norboy76
updated info
  • Thanks 1