Denied boarding in Barcelona

Cruisesfun65

Just a heads up - triple check ALL updated requirements for boarding.

4 Members of our party were denied boarding the Grandiosa this morning because their booster shot was too recent. We were not aware of the booster requirements (Schengen country), but it is what it is.

Just a warning for everyone else to check check double-check every single sentence on the Covid updates.

This is what I see on their website regarding Schengen countries cruising in the Med. 

First bullet point - these guests indeed have both European vaccine shots.

I suspect the port agents were looking at bullet point nr 3, that you need a European booster if you have had two NON European vaccine shots.

They were most probably confused by this and these guests are missing their trip.

Screenshot_20220402-080729_Samsung Internet.jpg

3 minutes ago, styles27 said:

How many days after their initial vaccination did they receive their booster? Less than 28 days maybe? 

They have 2 shots of the required EMA approved vaccines. So, according to the 1st bullet point, a booster is not even required for them.

1 minute ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

They have 2 shots of the required EMA approved vaccines. So, according to the 1st bullet point, a booster is not even required for them.

Oh that is just awful for them. What a confusing mess. 

Here are the rules (from MSC UK website):

„If more than 9 months (270 days) have passed since receiving the two set of vaccine shots, a booster vaccine will be required to embark. If the booster was done before expiration of the second vaccine (therefore within nine months) it is not necessary to respect the 14 days waiting period before boarding. However, if the booster is taken after nine months from the second dose, it is necessary to have had the booster at least 14 days before the departure date. Guests who received a booster vaccine are exempted from the 9 months restriction.“

link: https://www.msccruises.co.uk/health-and-safety-measures/mediterranean

The rules are the same as the EU green pass (EU vaccine certificate). 

Edited by 8420PR
Add source link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 8420PR said:

Here are the rules (from MSC UK website):

„If more than 9 months (270 days) have passed since receiving the two set of vaccine shots, a booster vaccine will be required to embark. If the booster was done before expiration of the second vaccine (therefore within nine months) it is not necessary to respect the 14 days waiting period before boarding. However, if the booster is taken after nine months from the second dose, it is necessary to have had the booster at least 14 days before the departure date. Guests who received a booster vaccine are exempted from the 9 months restriction.“

link: https://www.msccruises.co.uk/health-and-safety-measures/mediterranean

The rules are the same as the EU green pass (EU vaccine certificate). 

Thank you for this. This is from the UK website. Since we booked through the US website I'm searching on MscCruisesUsa.com and simply cannot see these requirements. 

Are these rules you posted for guests from Schengen countries?

• Like 1

Those are the Schengen rules, but as far as I can see they are the same and non-Schengen. 

If it helps, I am fairly sure the booster rules are the same as those required to enter Spain - I don’t think it is MSC specific. 

Edited by 8420PR

27 minutes ago, 8420PR said:

If it helps, I am fairly sure the booster rules are the same as those required to enter Spain - I don’t think it is MSC specific. 

Not quite. As the guests did enter Spain and already spent 2 days in Barcelona. 

Still waiting for someone to chime in re MSC US website on this.

1 hour ago, ChC said:

Travel Requirements Mediterranean | MSC Cruises (msccruisesusa.com)

Click on: U.S. Residents & Non-Schengen Residents

VACCINE REQUIREMENTS: 

All guests 12 years and older must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the time of embarkation. To be considered fully vaccinated:

• Your final dose in a 2-dose series of the Pfizer, Moderna, or Novovax vaccine or a single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine must be completed at least 14 days before embarkation.
  • If your final dose was administered 270 days (180 days for Italian residents) or more prior to the final day of your cruise, you must also complete a booster shot at least 14 days before embarkation.
  • A “mix-and-match” combination of the above list of vaccines is accepted.
  • Please note: 2 doses of a non-European Medicines Agency (EMA) approved vaccine plus a European Medicines Agency (EMA) approved booster (including Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson and Novavax) will be accepted for embarkation only if the booster shot was given within 6 months of receiving the second vaccine shot and administered at least 28 days after receiving the second vaccine shot. 
  • Guests who recovered from COVID-19 and received only one shot of the vaccine are considered fully vaccinated, as long they have received their vaccine, and have recovered from COVID-19 within 180 days prior to the final day of your cruise and have a verification certificate or QR Code confirming as such.
  • Guests must present their original vaccination card or certificate reflecting all required vaccinations at the pier upon check-in.
  • The vaccination certificate must be valid for the duration of the entire cruise.

Thank you, but as mentioned we're from a Schengen country.

This information is not on the MSC US website when you click on Schengen countries. 

Edited by Cruisesfun65

I assume the US MSC website has incorrect information for Schengen residents - the 14 day booster rules apply (also seemingly to Norwegian Cruise Line as well, based on above post).  Maybe you can contact MSC (or your travel agent if booked through one) and ask for a refund or credit note.

My personal experience has been positive:  this April I have 3 short cruises booked, and for 2 of them I get almost weekly emails from MSC reminding me what I need.  The 3rd cruise was booked via a Travel Agent and I haven't heard anything from them yet.

I have some sympathy for MSC, as they have to comply with the rules for all the EU countries they visit which are changing frequently.

3 hours ago, ChC said:

I think the problem might be that you have booked from MSC USA. You suppose to book from the country where your residence is. When you book from the USA site, the back end system will recognise you as US residence regardless which passport you hold. If you have a member profile that has a different country of residence, sometimes it can override. But for non-member or member has no recent history, the system will recognise you as USA passengers. So, even if you are from Schengen country, but MSC USA booking will restrict country of residence as Puerto Rico or USA. 

Does that make sense?

The vaccine information is a centralised source, so it is the same every region's website. What matters is your passport country and residence country. If you book from non-Schengen country directly from MSC, you will be recognised as non-Schengen market passengers. 

Thank you. The complication is that we reside in the Caribbean but have a Schengen passport.

From our resident country we are required to book through MSC USA.

And as previously mentioned, the requirements for Schengen countries cruising in the Med is very simple on the MSC US website, not requiring a booster if you have had 2 EMA approved vaccine doses.

Screenshot_20220402-080729_Samsung Internet.jpg

I think the root problem is incorrect information on the MSC US website.  I hope they or your travel agent can make things good somehow.

I can see the mess caused by having to book through MSC US website - not nice for you!   In any case, overseas territories in the Caribbean are considered non-Schengen by MSC (as they are in fact not part of the Schengen agreement) - see the foot note here:  https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/Assets/countries-allowed-to-embark-MSC-Cruises.pdf

1 hour ago, 8420PR said:

I think the root problem is incorrect information on the MSC US website.  I hope they or your travel agent can make things good somehow.

I can see the mess caused by having to book through MSC US website - not nice for you!   In any case, overseas territories in the Caribbean are considered non-Schengen by MSC (as they are in fact not part of the Schengen agreement) - see the foot note here:  https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/Assets/countries-allowed-to-embark-MSC-Cruises.pdf

Thank you. In this case our passports are from the Netherlands and we are considered Schengen .

Good morning.  It appears that people were denied boarding in Barcelona this weekend for not being "fully vaccinated".  Some people hadn't received a booster and some had received a booster but less than 14 days prior to the cruise.  The definition of "fully vaccinated" means less than 270 days since the primary series.  A booster is required if it has been more than 270 days.  But if your booster is more than 270 days from primary series, it needs to be at least 14 days prior to boarding.  There is no expiration date on the booster shot.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2842447-denied-boarding-in-barcelona/#comment-62954381

Edited by yogini06
  • Thanks 1