Going on shore without an excursion

mjramey79

Hello, new to cruising here and I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before I take my first cruise in July in italy. With the easing of some of the covid restrictions in Italy, can we now go unsure without booking an excursion? I haven't found any resources that gave me a definitive answer and I was hoping that someone here might help. Thanks for any assistance that is given.

Italy has eased the restrictions around cruise ship passengers, but cruise lines are the one that have the final say.  You're best off checking with your individual cruise line -- and be prepared to hear various answers as they probably aren't sure yet what they'll be doing in July.  As a matter of fact, I am still waiting for Celebrity to publish their requirements for pre-boarding testing, shore excursions and the like for the European season -- and my cruise leaves April 21!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjramey79 said:

Hello, new to cruising here and I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before I take my first cruise in July in italy. With the easing of some of the covid restrictions in Italy, can we now go unsure without booking an excursion? I haven't found any resources that gave me a definitive answer and I was hoping that someone here might help. Thanks for any assistance that is given.

NCL is no longer requiring to use their excursions to go on shore and you can book independent options. 

16 hours ago, tvlworm said:

NCL is no longer requiring to use their excursions to go on shore and you can book independent options. 

Did you hear this from NCL directly? I’m cruising from Italy in June and can’t find a direct answer on their website to save my life. 

1 hour ago, kellymccrea said:

Did you hear this from NCL directly? I’m cruising from Italy in June and can’t find a direct answer on their website to save my life. 

Awesome—we are too 🙂 

this section of the NCL shore excursions FAQ previously had Italy listed as a country with shore excursion restrictions. This was removed a couple months ago. 

D982C42D-7806-4870-985D-3E5A27787FF8.jpeg

880B276B-28BD-486F-BE16-5795220CEBA3.jpeg

On 4/3/2022 at 8:17 AM, tvlworm said:

Awesome—we are too 🙂 

this section of the NCL shore excursions FAQ previously had Italy listed as a country with shore excursion restrictions. This was removed a couple months ago. 

D982C42D-7806-4870-985D-3E5A27787FF8.jpeg

880B276B-28BD-486F-BE16-5795220CEBA3.jpeg

I saw that too, but thought it was maybe because no ship was sailing into Italian ports so that’s why it wasn’t on there, and that restrictions might appear again once ships start sailing there. Hope you’re right!!

I called NCL shore excursions and they told me that we are still required to use their tours to leave the ship. I then called the tour company I reserved tours with in Italy and was told they have tours Sunday &.Monday from the port. Didn't get the name of the ship.

Just spoke to an NCL rep on their chat, and after being initially told that NCL excursions were still required in Italy, I finally got this response:

"Thank you so much for your patience while I gathered that information for you. I do apologize, it was just updated while I was assisting that guests no longer need a shore excursion to tour Italy. You are also able to explore Spain and France without an excursion being booked Also, within three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port. If a guest is unable to provide proof of a negative result at the time of embarkation, testing will be available at the terminal at the guest’s expense."

Hope this helps! Been trying to get an a straight answer for days!

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 10:50 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Italy has eased the restrictions around cruise ship passengers, but cruise lines are the one that have the final say.  You're best off checking with your individual cruise line -- and be prepared to hear various answers as they probably aren't sure yet what they'll be doing in July.  As a matter of fact, I am still waiting for Celebrity to publish their requirements for pre-boarding testing, shore excursions and the like for the European season -- and my cruise leaves April 21!

Cruisemom, I think you are doing the inaugural on the Beyond. We are cruising on her May 26, out of Rome. I will be watching your post regarding the celebrity shore excursion restrictions, and Covid testing requirements boarding, and disembarking in Spain.

i hope you will post some live reports.

I also hope you have an amazing trip.

2 minutes ago, Cookie002 said:

Cruisemom, I think you are doing the inaugural on the Beyond. We are cruising on her May 26, out of Rome. I will be watching your post regarding the celebrity shore excursion restrictions, and Covid testing requirements boarding, and disembarking in Spain.

i hope you will post some live reports.

I also hope you have an amazing trip.

No, I'm not on that sailing but I am on the Silhouette departing Southampton April 21st. A little annoyed that we have so little guidance from Celebrity regarding requirements and restrictions... 

The cruise is R/T Southampton but does have ports of call in France, Spain and Portugal. I will try to remember to post but when I am on board ship I am usually all go go go. LOL.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

No, I'm not on that sailing but I am on the Silhouette departing Southampton April 21st. A little annoyed that we have so little guidance from Celebrity regarding requirements and restrictions... 

The cruise is R/T Southampton but does have ports of call in France, Spain and Portugal. I will try to remember to post but when I am on board ship I am usually all go go go. LOL.

I'm cruising on the Celebrity Constellation in July and also find it annoying that they have not Celebrity has not provided much info on requirements and restrictions.  I'm hoping that will change once it gets closer to embarkation.

37 minutes ago, mjramey79 said:

I'm cruising on the Celebrity Constellation in July and also find it annoying that they have not Celebrity has not provided much info on requirements and restrictions.  I'm hoping that will change once it gets closer to embarkation.

I'm sure they will have more info available by then, plus reports from previous cruisers.

I just happen to be on their first European cruise of the season and they seem a bit .... uprepared.