Cruising Gluten Free on Virgin Voyages

Ladyshopper23

We recently got back from the Mermaiden voyage on Valiant Lady. My husband and I are both coeliac, and we booked the cruise as a way of testing out Virgin to see if they'd be any good for us as gluten-free cruisers.

I've written up our experience in my GF travel blog, so if anyone is interested, or knows a Coeliac or gluten intolerant cruiser, please have a look or feel free to pass on.

https://glutenfreetravelwithme.com/virgin-valiant-lady-mermaiden-voyage-18-03-22

18 hours ago, johnnylikely said:

OMG I didn't realise they were as bad as it sounds- I thought they really took care of dietary requirements better....

On the face of it they do. I imagine for people that aren't gluten free, they would look at menus and thing there was lots of GF choice. It's only when you get down into it and realise that app menus and paper menus don't agree, servers and people behind the counter don't agree and don't seem to have the knowledge they should, and that things are labelled wrong that you realise there is a problem.

I did try really hard to be as fair as possible in my blog, and if I didn't have the added "complication" of being vegetarian (not that that should be a complication, but it clearly was combined with being GF) my experience would have been better, like it was for my husband. 

The sad thing is, they have the potential to be great for specific dietary requirements, but they have quite a bit of work to do to get there. 

Edited to say, thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I really appreciate it. it can be difficult to find information out about how cruise lines deal with gluten-free eating, and that's what led me to start it.

Edited by Ladyshopper23
More info
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

On the face of it they do. I imagine for people that aren't gluten free, they would look at menus and thing there was lots of GF choice. It's only when you get down into it and realise that app menus and paper menus don't agree, servers and people behind the counter don't agree and don't seem to have the knowledge they should, and that things are labelled wrong that you realise there is a problem.

I did try really hard to be as fair as possible in my blog, and if I didn't have the added "complication" of being vegetarian (not that that should be a complication, but it clearly was combined with being GF) my experience would have been better, like it was for my husband. 

The sad thing is, they have the potential to be great for specific dietary requirements, but they have quite a bit of work to do to get there. 

Edited to say, thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I really appreciate it. it can be difficult to find information out about how cruise lines deal with gluten-free eating, and that's what led me to start it.

No probs- it was a great info you put together! A/ Cos I really thought they were on top of their game with that but also I like to eat gluten/dairy free if possible. I can eat them but if I have too much then my skin/tummy gets bad. I didn't realise they had gluten free options with the sandwich area- defo trying that!

It does make me concerned for those who have serious/deadly conditions tho, if you and your hubby were getting mixed messages didn't that affect ur coeliac condition? Thanks!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, johnnylikely said:

No probs- it was a great info you put together! A/ Cos I really thought they were on top of their game with that but also I like to eat gluten/dairy free if possible. I can eat them but if I have too much then my skin/tummy gets bad. I didn't realise they had gluten free options with the sandwich area- defo trying that!

It does make me concerned for those who have serious/deadly conditions tho, if you and your hubby were getting mixed messages didn't that affect ur coeliac condition? Thanks!

I actually don't have an official Coeliac diagnosis. I did have the test, but didn't realise you had to eat so much gluten for 6 weeks beforehand (it wasn't explained to me). I won't ever be eating gluten again to get another test! After the test  I then went gluten free due to my Hashimoto's disease, but I eat as if I am Coeliac (so no cross contamination, may contains etc). When I tell a server or waiter I'm Coeliac, it's just because it's easier, as it's a term they recognise and easier than explaining the above! So, I don't actually know if get any traditional coeliac symptoms or not, but it does effect my thyroid and the antibody levels. I'm certainly not about to purposefully eat gluten to test out whether I get those symptoms! Obviously silent coeliac is a thing too for a lot of people, so they can be coeliac but not have any outward symptoms when they get glutened, but of course the damage is being done inside.

My husband went gluten free to support me (he does the cooking at home!), but in doing so his acid reflux almost instantly cleared up, as did his bloating after eating. So it's likely he had some kind of existing intolerance. He has had a couple of dodgy tummy problems recently when out with work, and did wonder if he'd had some gluten contamination somewhere, but he couldn't be sure.

I do try and avoid saying I'm Coeliac just because I feel like a bit of a fraud saying it, as I'm not actually diagnosed. But when trying to explain to people, whether typing up the blog or on a post like this, or talking in person, sometimes it's just easier to say it (one word is easier than a whole long explanation each time!). My Hashimoto's disease leaves me feeling quite unwell on a daily basis, so going gluten free seemed like a no brainer really in a bid to try and help. 

Anyway, back to Virgin - definitely try the sandwiches! It was a little bit surprising to us that the safest place in The Galley seemed to be the sandwich counter, but there you go! My husband had the PB&J and loved it. They're not huge though, so if you're hungry go for two! 😄

It must be doubly hard for you being dairy free as well. That wasn't marked anywhere, and I've noticed that on all other cruise lines. Must be a right pain for you.

On 4/5/2022 at 3:40 PM, Ladyshopper23 said:

I actually don't have an official Coeliac diagnosis. I did have the test, but didn't realise you had to eat so much gluten for 6 weeks beforehand (it wasn't explained to me). I won't ever be eating gluten again to get another test! After the test  I then went gluten free due to my Hashimoto's disease, but I eat as if I am Coeliac (so no cross contamination, may contains etc). When I tell a server or waiter I'm Coeliac, it's just because it's easier, as it's a term they recognise and easier than explaining the above! So, I don't actually know if get any traditional coeliac symptoms or not, but it does effect my thyroid and the antibody levels. I'm certainly not about to purposefully eat gluten to test out whether I get those symptoms! Obviously silent coeliac is a thing too for a lot of people, so they can be coeliac but not have any outward symptoms when they get glutened, but of course the damage is being done inside.

My husband went gluten free to support me (he does the cooking at home!), but in doing so his acid reflux almost instantly cleared up, as did his bloating after eating. So it's likely he had some kind of existing intolerance. He has had a couple of dodgy tummy problems recently when out with work, and did wonder if he'd had some gluten contamination somewhere, but he couldn't be sure.

I do try and avoid saying I'm Coeliac just because I feel like a bit of a fraud saying it, as I'm not actually diagnosed. But when trying to explain to people, whether typing up the blog or on a post like this, or talking in person, sometimes it's just easier to say it (one word is easier than a whole long explanation each time!). My Hashimoto's disease leaves me feeling quite unwell on a daily basis, so going gluten free seemed like a no brainer really in a bid to try and help. 

Anyway, back to Virgin - definitely try the sandwiches! It was a little bit surprising to us that the safest place in The Galley seemed to be the sandwich counter, but there you go! My husband had the PB&J and loved it. They're not huge though, so if you're hungry go for two! 😄

It must be doubly hard for you being dairy free as well. That wasn't marked anywhere, and I've noticed that on all other cruise lines. Must be a right pain for you.

Ah gotcha, interesting the effects of gluten. I can eat it and dairy without huge huge consequences and I don't gorge on VV as it's served meals - other lines when it's buffet I go nuts oops lol

But dairy and gluten have a negative effect on me, so in my daily life I try to avoid- cruises are my exception lol

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, johnnylikely said:

Ah gotcha, interesting the effects of gluten. I can eat it and dairy without huge huge consequences and I don't gorge on VV as it's served meals - other lines when it's buffet I go nuts oops lol

But dairy and gluten have a negative effect on me, so in my daily life I try to avoid- cruises are my exception lol

Thanks for sharing!

No problem. 

A lot of Hashimoto's and underactive thyroid symptoms are similar to the non traditional coeliac symptoms, and a friend who has a coeliac daughter mentioned it to me to consider. I really wish I'd known enough about the process for the blood tests, and the fact you need to eat the equivalent of at least 2 slices of bread every day for 6 weeks beforehand. My Dr never told me anything about that. I did know you still had to be consuming gluten, and I was, but in very low amounts (I was on a low carb diet at the time, so no gorging on bread or pasta!!).

So, not an accurate blood test result, and a bit of a waste of time really. But as I said, I'm not going to eat it again just to re-test, so it's a way of life now.

Love that you go nuts at the buffet on other cruise lines, I used to do that too! Miss being able to pile my plate high with all kinds of yummies! 😁

Gluten-free bread and desserts on pretty much any cruise line are not a laughing matter, I get so jealous of the normal bread service people get, and the delicious looking (and smelling!) bread that people get!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I completely agree. I do have celiac and the GF options are extremely limited. Cross contamination seems likely and the staff has not been very helpful in determining gluten free. My meals have very much felt like piecing what I can together.

I ended up glutened from a muffin sent through room service which resulted in me staying my cabin for two days feeling unwell. Highly disappointed. Pre-pandemic I cruised with Princess often and felt very taken care of. VV feels to have a lack of knowledge and a lack of concern for gluten free. 

Gluten free bagels were completely gone half way through the cruise and were not toasted separately. No gluten free hamburger buns. Options in Razzle Dazzle very disappointing. Pink agave and Extra Virgin are the best options, but that does not accommodate for a breakfast or lunch. All in all, I would be very careful if you are gluten free and expecting a safe culinary journey.

I have worked closely with my doctor and I am "Non-celiac gluten intolerant". I have several genetic markers for celiac and my nephew has full blown celiac. So I am very careful about what I eat and I never say that I am celiac because that is lying. But now there is a real name, I stand firm with I am gluten intolerant. 

I cruised last December and was pleasantly surprised how far they have come along with gluten free options since my last cruise with them in 2021. They have gluten free bread and bagels in the Galley and after my first dinner all staff were pointing out on the menu gluten free options that were available for me.  I haven't had the opportunity to tour their kitchens but I have on Celebrity, NCL and Princess. So I will rate those 3 on the gluten free inner workings. 

NCL has a totally separate prep area in their kitchen that is dedicated to gluten free. They also have a kosher area. This area is only used for gluten free and there in no crossing over with staff from the other kitchen areas during prep.

Celebrity has a huge selection of gluten free options and I sampled muffins, cake, pizza (meh) and all were good. Their kitchens also have a dedicated gluten free area and they also work hard to maintain the integrity of this kitchen.

Princess is so so. They will recommend items that are gluten free and which items may have gluten somewhere in the prep. But when I toured their kitchens back in 2019 there was no dedicated gluten free area. So the potential is high for cross contamination. Things may have changed since that time.