How to contain my anticipation and keep my mind on my job? Tips, please!

vms

So I've booked my first cruise, my transportation to and from the port, my shore excursions...

I've gotten my new passport, my travel insurance, made copies and emergency lists for everyone I can think of...

I've sent my formals to the cleaners, bought new swimsuits, and mentally packed and repacked my suitcase about 500 times...

I'm checking the cruise critic boards 20+ times a day...

And I still have more than a month to wait!

So to keep from going COMPLETELY INSANE :eek:, any tips on keeping my mind on my day to day life???

Valerie -Sailing Century April 2-9, Western Caribbean

Might as well give it up!!! I think once you get to this point, there's no way to block the cruise out!!! I'm cruise the same day as you but on the Star Princess...I know exactly what you mean. It's very difficult to concentrate on work when you have something like an impending cruise to look forward to! I suppose you could always go shopping...can't take all old clothes on a trip like that. One must have something new!

If you are like most people, you'll get hooked on cruising.

Have a great cruise!!!

:)

So I've booked my first cruise, my transportation to and from the port, my shore excursions...

I've gotten my new passport, my travel insurance, made copies and emergency lists for everyone I can think of...

I've sent my formals to the cleaners, bought new swimsuits, and mentally packed and repacked my suitcase about 500 times...

So to keep from going COMPLETELY INSANE :eek:, any tips on keeping my mind on my day to day life???

Hi Val,

Cruise Addiction is deadly and by far the most severe of any other. You may want to think how you are going to handle the withdrawal following the cruise. There is no Detox centers for cruise withdrawal...just these boards. Since this will be your first cruise and you are suffering with great anticipation, here is a few tips to deal with the wait and with the withdrawal:

1. Put together a portfolio of your cruise vacation from beginning to end. Include all your documents, reservations, offered excursions for your specific itinerary, hotel specs, expenses, etc. Put it all together in chronological order and you'll have a nice reference guide. Also, bring along a zipper case or something handy to keep all your sail & sign receipts in. This helps you maintain a running account of your expenses as well. My portfolio is already more than 70 pages of nothing but vacation and cruise correspondence. from resrvations, flight itinerary, shore excursions, hotel accommodations, receipts, etc.

2. Once your done with that, distribute copies to your friends that won't be joining you. (LOL) This way, they can keep track of where you are while they're all at work. (just kidding), but it sounds good.

3. Plan on a carry-on piece of luggage that is just about the maximum size they permit you to have on the plane. Pack all your essentials required to last at least 1-2 full days, including bathingsuits, hygeine products, clothes to wear at night, and anything else you may need just in case your luggage is delivered to your cabin late or there is some other delay not considered.

4. Make sure you review all your cruise documents and make sure they are accurate. If there is any descrepency with them, contact your agent or the cruise line immediately. You should have them approximately two weeks prior to embarkation.

5. Most Importantly...HAVE FUN, AND LEAVE ALL YOUR WORRIES BEHIND.

BON VOYAGE!!!

jcruise

What to do? I have until May 20! Work, all of my service projects, family, house, etc. nothing gets my mind off of this darn cruise.:eek:

So, I keep shopping, organizing, reading, planning, you name it! I just got three cruise tips books in the mail to occupy my mind a little more!

So, if you need a fix, just hollar, I'm here just as excited as you!:)

Unfortunatly your problem will only get worse. The days will drag by very slowly. But before you know it the magic day will be here and you will be off for the greatest vacation you have ever had. Then the worst part comes. It's time to get off of the ship. The next problem you will have is deciding how you can get back on another cruise, as soon as possible.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise

SUzanne

What to do? I have until May 20! Work, all of my service projects, family, house, etc. nothing gets my mind off of this darn cruise.:eek:

So, if you need a fix, just hollar, I'm here just as excited as you!:)

I'm pathetic, really. I got a promotion the day before booking my cruise, and was more excited about the cruise than the promotion. And last week at the Orchestra, I think I heard 10 minutes of the 2 hr concert- spent the rest of the time daydreaming about what to pack.

But I'm a little reassured that this is perfectly normal behavior. :D

Valerie

If you figure it out, let me know! I thought after I went on my first cruise, that I'd be able to focus on something else besides cruising. Unfortunately, now I know that I love it and all I can think about is how awesome my cruise was and when I can go again! And I'm pretty sure I actually spend more time on here now than I did before I went!

I love to indulge in that pre cruise dreaming about it phase! I find it very exciting. I hung up a Caribbean beach calendar in my office and would day dream a lot! So work suffers a bit, do what you have to do and the rest will be there when you get back to distract you from the post cruise blues! :D

One way I've found to help those post cruise blues is to book another cruise, either just before you leave or on the ship. That way you still have one to look forward to even though one is over. :)

Have a great cruise!

Another tip: read up on Taoism and try to learn to live in the present. Life is what happens when you're making plans, no? Booking another cruise while on board speaks of not fully experiencing the present cruise in and of itself.

That is my goal in life. Oh- that and moderation. Two goals.

Valerie,

I agree that your biggest problem is yet to come--the letdown after the cruise is over. Make sure you take loads of pictures. One hint--get a digital camera (or make sure you have a good camera) and a rechargeable battery pack. Keep all the things you can from your cruise and make a scrapbook. I still look at my first cruise from Oct 2003. And I come here to keep the feeling of cruising in my mind. Unfortunately, we don't have any cruises booked right now. 8-( But we are planning a trip sometime this year to Las Vegas. Geeshh...wish they had a hotel on the strip that resembled a cruise ship. Wouldn't that be something????!!!!!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising! If you think the anticipation is bad....wait until that ship pulls into port on the last day:( .....They almost have to pry my little fingers from the rails:o!!!!!! Spend the next month ironing, packing, unpacking, repacking,(nothing ever fits the first time) shopping, reading about your port stops, and dreaming of a fantastic time:D :D Heck, the countdown to cruisin' is part of the overall vacation so enjoy every last agonizing moment. We are all lucky just to be able to do this as I am sure there are folks who would love to have a vacation to look forward to. Have the most magical time on your first cruise:)

I count down to my last workday on my Outlook calendar on my work computer; imagine I only have 10 more days! It is impossible to keep from thinking about it!:rolleyes:

Have you bought any books on cruising? Those help me. I would recommend Frommer's Ports of Call, and after reading that one twice as well as highlighting and flagging pages, I also purchased "Caribbean Cruises" by Insight Guides/ Discovery Channel. This one has wonderful pics as well as general info on cruise lines, ports, ships, and general things.

These two books might keep you interested and occupied till you leave.;)

Have a great trip!

Oh do I know how you feel. I'm going on my first cruise on May 20th, which still seems so far away, but I'm paying it off tomorrow, which makes it that much more real. Luckily, I actually already have another one booked for December of this year, so hopefully that will keep those infamous post-cruise blues at bay. For now, I've just resigned myself to gazing off into the distance, daydreaming about palm trees, sun, and lovely frothy beverages. Perhaps it's not the best thing to do while teaching a bunch of college freshmen, but it's my only coping mechanism thus far.

Good luck to you!

Count your blessings...I've got 14 months to go! :eek: My DH is already tired of listening to me, my friends try to distract me but it's not working. :( This board is the only place I can go where I feel like I'm understood. At least we're all suffering from the same insanity. Well, got to go now, the boss is coming and I have to get back to work. ;)

Here I thought I was going crazy but I am not the only insane person!! Yippie! On my lunches everyday at work I am on this site, and if I have time, afterwork. I thought I was insane until I read this thread. My boyfriend and I are going on Majesty of the Seas somewhere between Oct 16 and Jan 15th. We have not gotten out paperwork back yet. I am waiting just to find out the exact date I will cruise (that is painful enough) then never mind the waiting after that. Atleast once I get those details I can start planning hotel and airfare!! That will be something else to keep me proccupied for awhile. My boyfriend is getting tired of hearing me say "honey guess what I found out?" He knows right away it is the cruise. Then he teases me and tells me he isn't going...NOT FUNNY, however much he thinks it is.

Not to mention I love listening to the Royal Caribbean theme song on their website..and on tv when the commercial comes on....yes I know I am sick

I have to wait until August.

My remedy..I purchased a treadmill from Walmart. I am on it almost every day since I decided to book a cruise with my husband. We both love it!!!!!. I can get on there and dream about my cruise...its amazing the motivation I get to exercise when I think about my cruise and let me tell you I am not a big exercise fanatic.

Just my way of dealing! :)

Lari

Yes, you sound like me..:p Not cruising until September and here I am, all day it seems. Valerie, you will love the Century. :) Not to big and not to small. The Century was the first ship we sailed on. We thought she was huge. Last year we went on the Carribean Princess and that was HUGE. We have decided we like a smaller ship. The service is excellent. The pool in the spa is awesome! You will have a great time. You will be hooked and be back for more. You can grab a taxi to port..much faster ..and back to the airport. Arrive around 10:30 and be on the ship before noon. Enjoy :D

Archived