Viking Air Plus

rbslos18

Have those who have used Viking Air Plus recently seen improvement in Customer Service? Someone on our Northern Lights Roll Call reported they had booked Viking Air Plus for our 1/31/23 cruise. Today when I called to book Viking Air Plus I was told I have to wait 4 days to book. This is confusing!

Bob

2 hours ago, The Other Tom said:

I'm guessing that's it as well.  

@Rbslos18 can look at their airline website to see if they're allowed to book that far out.

Websites for Delta, United and American are all booking the dates needed. Equally confusing was the price quoted for Premium Economy was $500 higher than the price quoted on the Delta website. 

Edited by rbslos18

40 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

Websites for Delta, United and American are all booking the dates needed. Equally confusing was the price quoted for Premium Economy was $500 higher than the price quoted on the Delta website. 

That is because Viking does not use website prices in determining how much to charge for these service upgrades. They are actually locked in when you book the trip.

Sometimes Viking is the best price on the upgrades and sometimes it isn't. That's one reason that I always opt for Viking Air when I book and drop it if I find a better deal on my own.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Sometimes Viking is the best price on the upgrades and sometimes it isn't. That's one reason that I always opt for Viking Air when I book and drop it if I find a better deal on my own.

If I book Viking Air is it refundable.  If final payment is do a year in advance and flights can't be booked before 330 days, how do you do that?

On 4/4/2022 at 5:34 PM, rbslos18 said:

Have those who have used Viking Air Plus recently seen improvement in Customer Service?

In the past month:

1) The computer AI (I say that as a joke) initially had us booked Istanbul-Frankfurt-LAX-San Diego, with a 7 hour layover at LAX. Since LAX is actually only 90 minutes from home (SAN is 45 minutes), I called Viking Air to just ditch the last leg, making LAX the final destination. But the representative went one step further and checked what was available at that moment. He found a nonstop Istanbul-LAX! Lovely. 

2) We decided to book a precruise extension, but Viking's rep said we'd waited too late to avoid a $350 each charge to change flights. But the rep suggested that Viking Air might waive the charge, if asked. He transferred the call to Air and I asked to waive the charge. After a one minute hold, the charges were waived.

So, to answer your question, I think Viking Air Plus's customer service is terrific. Their computerized scheduling system needs work, as do all airline scheduling systems.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

That is because Viking does not use website prices in determining how much to charge for these service upgrades. They are actually locked in when you book the trip.

Hi Peregrina,

Questions or you. I plan to transfer my booking  done onboard  to a new intineary "  Scenic Scandinavia "11 day cruise for Jun 2023 today.  full payment is due in Dec 2022. I want to add Viking Air but also want to do a post extension  of two days. I might do the Viking one or on our own. Either way I do not want to book that part till close to final payment or even after.  . Flights will available to look at by Dec . 

Can I add  deviation or a Viking post extension  after final payment with Viking Air ?

Hope this makes sense. 

16 hours ago, ericosmith said:

If I book Viking Air is it refundable.  If final payment is do a year in advance and flights can't be booked before 330 days, how do you do that?

For sure, as long as you have not already sat down with VA and picked your flights, you can cancel the air portion of your booking. Whether you can change your mind after you have picked flights, I cannot confirm because I have never done it before. You should ask Viking for particulars; much safer that way.

5 hours ago, Azulann said:

Hi Peregrina,

Questions or you. I plan to transfer my booking  done onboard  to a new intineary "  Scenic Scandinavia "11 day cruise for Jun 2023 today.  full payment is due in Dec 2022. I want to add Viking Air but also want to do a post extension  of two days. I might do the Viking one or on our own. Either way I do not want to book that part till close to final payment or even after.  . Flights will available to look at by Dec . 

Can I add  deviation or a Viking post extension  after final payment with Viking Air ?

Hope this makes sense. 

Filed under don't assume. I'm not sure if you will get to keep the on-board booking perks if you transfer the booking to another itinerary. Best to ask Viking on that point of protocol.

If Viking is offering a deal on airfare at the time you transfer the booking, I don't believe that you will get that deal if you wait to add Viking Air. I believe that you would be charged the brochure rate when you add it. But again, ask Viking.

Here is what I'm thinking about adding stuff to an existing booking:

Final payment date isn't as much an issue as when cancellation penalties kick in: 120 days prior to departure except for grand voyages and world cruises which are 180 days. (for details see https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/3-220317_PassengerTicketContract_nonUS.pdf) 

Extension have capacity limits. If you are ending in Bergen and looking at the train to Oslo, don't wait because it is a very, very popular extension. Consider booking now and cancelling if you decide to DIY. You will have it figured out long before the 120 day mark.

As I understand it, with custom air you can change your mind about arrival and departure until they are actually ticketed. Paying more is not a problem but I don't know about refunds after cancellation penalties kick in.

A two night extension will get you 1 and half days of time to tour. Half of the first day will be eaten disembarking and getting to the hotel (a whole day if you doing the train to Oslo, even as a DIY).

In 2012 we added an extension to a river cruise (OMG, that was a long time ago); that was back in the days when you paid for your cruise in the same month in which you booked it, so we were paid in full when we added the extension. We had tried to add the extension when we booked but it wasn't available. My TA kept trying and eventually it opened up. I can't remember how close we were to departure and if we had to make changes to our flights or not.

Hope this helps.

19 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Consider booking now and cancelling if you decide to DIY. You will have it figured out long before the 120 day mark.

Thanks for  your input ! Same thing  my TA said this afternoon.. He moved the booking to new cruise with all the onboard discounts. this  first onboard  booking was done in Oct with all the perks including being able to move to any itinerary up to 120 days before sailing. 

Our new cruise "Scenic Scandinavia" begins in Stockholm with an overnight and ends in Copenhagen with an over night. Then two days extension. the old name for this itinerary was "Baltic Sea and Russia".

So I finally get to  visit my ancestors land of Denmark. This cruise has three ports in Denmark. I am so excited!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 10:04 AM, rbslos18 said:

Have those who have used Viking Air Plus recently seen improvement in Customer Service? Someone on our Northern Lights Roll Call reported they had booked Viking Air Plus for our 1/31/23 cruise. Today when I called to book Viking Air Plus I was told I have to wait 4 days to book. This is confusing!

Bob

You would be best to book your own air as I have had to pay $500 pp over the odds. I would have been better off taking the $500 cruise discount instead.

Not happy with Viking at the moment!