Best way to get to Fort Zachary Taylor?

LHARTWICK

Will be visiting KW this Monday.  Have been there before but would love to visit Fort Zachary Taylor on this trip.  Recommendations for getting there:  walk it or Uber/Taxi?  I've never used Uber, but I'm sure I could figure it out. 😝 Or the Duval Loop bus that stops at Southard St? Our ship is scheduled to dock at 10AM.  Reading about the park, it looks like a lovely day will be had!  Any info is appreciated!

Edited by LHARTWICK
added question

It's a 20-30 minute walk from the pier to Ft. Zachary if you walk through Truman Annex.  Up to you if that's comfortable for you in about 80 degree weather, some of which will be in full sun.   If you walk, keep going straight after you walk off the dock, and go right at Front Street (or ask someone how to walk to the Truman White House).  Keep walking past the White House, until you can't go straight any more (that's Southard, but probably no sign), and turn right.  Then, after a short block, you should turn left at the roundabout, but there will be signs for the park.  

It's a beautiful park, where you can stay on the beach or at picnic tables under pine trees.  The sand is  more ground coral than fine sand, and it's a bit rocky, so water shoes are helpful.  

Heat/Sun were definitely a consideration.  The first thing I remember out our previous KW visits is the heat!  We will just take a taxi or use the bus.  The Duval Loop bus has a stop near the entrance. Thank you! 

It's about 1/2 of a mile to the fort from the Duval loop drop off which should be just after the traffic circle near Truman waterfront.  This time of year should be a very nice walk.  No shade from the bus stop to the fort, but plenty on the beach side of the park.

Definitely a nice park - the beach is rough coral rubble though so if you want to go in or near the water, you might want water shoes or some sort. The snack bar is also pretty respectable.  Food is decent and there's a small selection of adult beverages, if you're looking for one - just can't take it onto the beach IIRC. It's definitely the prettiest beach on the island as far as I'm concerned.

It's a shame the town and the property owner can't come to an agreement to bridge to gap on the waterfront that would allow walking straight from Mallory Square to Truman Waterfront without having to go around through Truman Annex