Transatlantic Queries

We are looking at booking the Wonder TA for this October. Last time we did one, it was Oasis without kids out of Southampton and we had terrible weather and the disembarkation at Miami port was the worst one we had experienced.

So could anyone please share their experiences of recent transatlantic cruises  in regard to the following:

1) weather leaving from Barcelona in end October - I assume it’s less likely that the ship will steer North to avoid storms like when we were on Oasis out of Southampton? Are pool days out of the question until we get really close to Florida?

2) Disembarkation - did we get unlucky or are lines always much worse when getting off a transatlantic?

3) has anyone traveled with young children on a transatlantic? I know typically there’s fewer children but I’m hopeful there’d be enough activity on board the ship to keep them entertained for the many sea days in a row - would love to hear your experiences…

thanks in advance! 🙂

1: We had absolutely beautiful weather for almost the entire crossing. Not too hot, but certainly not too cold to be outside at the pool. 

2. I saw no difference getting off the transatlantic versus any other cruise.

3. Our transatlantic on Freedom had somewhere in the neighborhood of 36 children under the age of 18 (total). 

48 minutes ago, berternie said:

We are looking at booking the Wonder TA for this October. Last time we did one, it was Oasis without kids out of Southampton and we had terrible weather and the disembarkation at Miami port was the worst one we had experienced.

So could anyone please share their experiences of recent transatlantic cruises  in regard to the following:

1) weather leaving from Barcelona in end October - I assume it’s less likely that the ship will steer North to avoid storms like when we were on Oasis out of Southampton? Are pool days out of the question until we get really close to Florida?

2) Disembarkation - did we get unlucky or are lines always much worse when getting off a transatlantic?

3) has anyone traveled with young children on a transatlantic? I know typically there’s fewer children but I’m hopeful there’d be enough activity on board the ship to keep them entertained for the many sea days in a row - would love to hear your experiences…

thanks in advance! 🙂

Barcelona route in October isn’t bad in our two experiences.  A few days of moderate rough seas but nothing too bad.  Weather could be cool a few days but most of the days were very nice.  

As far as kids, there won’t be many.  I recall seeing only a few on our first TA of that route.  Our second on that route was the same.  We had our 1 year old with us on that one.   There were very few kids onboard.  A few here and there.  But not many.  

1 hour ago, berternie said:

thanks in advance! 🙂

Three transatlantic out of  Rome and Barcelona in Oct.  Weather was very nice on all trips. We always had a balcony on the port side which has full sun everyday. A little cool in the Med but warms up quick as you reach the Canary Islands. Seems like the ship makes a hard left as it leaves the Med and holds that course until it lines up with FLL.   Flow rider packed all day after day 2.  As far as kids go it is close to Zero. On our last TA on Symphony there were 12 kids under 16. Oasis Class TA'S sail with about 4500 on average, that leaves the ship with about 1500 fewer kids then you would find on a Caribbean sailing.  As luck would have it all our TA disembarkation's have been a madhouse.  West bound TA'S are now our favorite cruise. 

• Like 1