Using Wi-if package for multiple devices

planaholic

We’re sailing on Mardi Gras at the end of April and will probably get the premium wi if package.  Husband will use it for his laptop and phone.  
the question is, can you use 2 devices on it and how would it know if I logged onto it as well?

You can put it on your phone and use the phone as a hotspot while on airplane mode.  Then just login to the phone with your other device.  I had multiple connections on my phone with no problems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PSU2LSU said:

You can put it on your phone and use the phone as a hotspot while on airplane mode.  Then just login to the phone with your other device.  I had multiple connections on my phone with no problems.

Interesting.  What type of device do you use?  When I enable the hotspot on my devices (I have an iPhone and an Android) they turn off the Wi-Fi and share out the wireless (cell) connection.  What you describe sounds like a Wi-Fi extender type function – which would be great.  I’d like to make use of that.  Thanks,

Tim

Some Android phones are able to share wifi in hotspot mode.  With my S20, I was able log in to ship's wifi, and in hotspot mode (which emulates our home SSID) my laptop plus my daughter and wife's devices  were all connected to the phone simultaneously.  All that the ship's wifi sees is the MAC address for the hotspot.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PSU2LSU said:

That's what we do, with my Pixel 6 Pro. I can have my laptop and Cheryl's phone running through the hotspot on my phone at the same time, all while streaming music (Pandora or Sirius) to a small speaker we bring along. Note: we don't blast our music!

If I leave the cabin though, and take my phone with me, Cheryl is dead in the water (connectively speaking) until I return - if she stays in the cabin.

Tom

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, planaholic said:

the question is, can you use 2 devices on it and how would it know if I logged onto it as well?

You use your folio number and birthdate to log into the wifi (or whoever has the wifi linked to their account).  If it is already connected it asks if you would like to disconnect the other device and if you do not click the button to disconnect the other device you cannot login on a second device.