White Pass train OR Yukon?

Sherme

I see it. Princess didn’t let me know. That’s disappointing. I will try to access their customer service by chat to change or refund my Skagway excursion. I don’t see they offer a bus tour of the Yukon. I’m disappointed - we’ve been working on getting our passports and I was hoping to see mountain vistas and the lakes… I see Chilkoot offers a Yukon bus only tour. Which one would you recommend for a first and only Alaska cruise? The Princess Haines Animal Planet tour or Chilkoot Yukon bus?

https://www.princess.com/ports-excursions/skagway-alaska-excursions/alaska-nature-and-wildlife-expedition

https://chilkootcharters.com/yukon-bus/

Edited by Jlhutch6

I can't recommend either of the specific tours since I have not been on either one of them but I can give you some tips on how to choose. 

Search youtube videos for the tours and see which one you like. 

Try to find when the salmon are running around Haines and if it close to your dates. Without the salmon there will little if any wildlife. This will be a best guess situation. 

The trip to Haines will be on the same path that the ship takes to and from Skagway so that part of description sounds like a sales pitch and you don't need to see it four times. 

The chikloot tours get great reviews. Meeting the dog teams and possible ride might be fun. The passport and ArriveCAN could be a pain. Hopefully you wont need to use quarantine information. 

If it is truly your one and only trip to AK (which I doubt by the way) and you want to see mts and lakes look into Temsco helo trip glacier landings without the dogs. You are likely spending lots of money to go on this cruise and may not get another chance to have a once in lifetime excursion. It will be pricey but you won't need to spend the money on the other tours. Hope this helps, sightcrr

Forgot to add I would guess P/C will be adding a Yukon bus tour once cruise gets closer.  

Edited by SightCRR
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just got officially  notified yesterday from my TA of cancellation of our Princess combo White Pass rail(north only) & bus return w/ BBQ lunch etc for July '22. We really don't want the train round trip(will have the very long Alaska rail on our land part of cruisetour). As we are seniors we don't want anything strenuous. We are considering the motorcoach  Easy Skagway: City, Summit & The Days of '98 Show or the Gold Panning & Alaska Sled Dogs then  on our own.. get lunch in Skagway + Days of '98.  Anyone have recommendations on either of these or others.