MSC Seashore, Is the food good?

RJ1

Trying to plan a cruise and wanted to try out MSC. I have been on many cruises and we like good food, not just burgers and hot dogs. I personally love NCL food so please let me know what you think about the food on MSC. Thanks

25 minutes ago, RJ1 said:

Trying to plan a cruise and wanted to try out MSC. I have been on many cruises and we like good food, not just burgers and hot dogs. I personally love NCL food so please let me know what you think about the food on MSC. Thanks

Food very subjective. Especially when talking about MSC compare to NCL, RCI, etc.

You will find those that say it is European and real Italian. Not Olive Garden. Others will say very limited choices.

My opinion, is you will have to try it and make your own opinion. You want to try MSC, Go for it. You should enjoy it! 

Stay Safe and Happy Cruising!

• Like 2

I have not been in the Seashore, but did cruise on the Meraviglia in January and was pleasantly surprised with the food after reading many negative comments. Food is obviously subjective, but I found good selections and quality in both the dining room and buffet. The portions tend to be smaller than what most Americans (including me) are used to, but you can order multiple selections from any section of the menu. 

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, RJ1 said:

Please try by yourself. With "not just burgers and hot dogs" you are perfectly right, I find everything OK to good on MSC except their burgers and hot dogs. Certainly not every dish in the MDR is a hit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paphillyguy said:

We did cruise in the Yacht Club and found the food to be very good.  

Have you ever heard anyone who stayed in the Yclub. HAVEN, Costal Kitchen complain about food? You paid extra for that upgrade. 

What percentage of passengers does the Yclub represent?

Again, Food is subjective!

I have found all restaurant food to have gone down the shitter because of....well you know.

I have actually started experimenting with those on-line ship a box of meals and you make it companies. So far it turns out cheaper than eating out and I am a pretty darn good cook. Less waste too.

Cruise food is going downhill. I would say MSC & NCL is better than Royal, but Carnival is better than all three. Carnival beats all three hands down with Guy's Burgers & BBQ, Blue Iguana Cantina, their Pizza, and the MDR has good american food (except desserts are Carnival's weak point).

The problem I have with MSC is the lack of variety. Some of their food is actually pretty good, but the buffet is really lacking in choices. MDR menu is small too, with the italian night menu actually being the worst in flavor (and I've been on the Mere twice and the italian night was just as bad as the first one).

We've eaten at the speciality dining on MSC and it's very good, but it sucks you have to pay a good chunk to eat good food.

17 hours ago, Oxo said:

Have you ever heard anyone who stayed in the Yclub. HAVEN, Costal Kitchen complain about food? You paid extra for that upgrade. 

What percentage of passengers does the Yclub represent?

Again, Food is subjective!

Yes, I have heard people complain.  Also, I was just giving my perspective of my trip on the Seashore.   That is why I pointed out I was in the Yacht Club.  

3 hours ago, Paphillyguy said:

Yes, I have heard people complain.  Also, I was just giving my perspective of my trip on the Seashore.   That is why I pointed out I was in the Yacht Club.  

I wasn't questioning your review or you being in the YC. I was making a general statement.

17 hours ago, DisneyDatknee said:

The problem I have with MSC is the lack of variety. Some of their food is actually pretty good, but the buffet is really lacking in choices.

We were on a P&O cruise last week and it was exactly the same on there. The buffet especially was disappointing with the lack of choice.

Edited by CaroleC

I did the "Miami Depart MSC Seashore review" and food opinion, yes food is subjective.  I live near DC, I have been to few European cities, frequently eat out. Based on food I have ate at standard to good restaurant and mostly I enjoyed and liked.  So based on that mass standard taste, plus experience from several cruises, food choices and quality has definitely went down.  Especially, consistency as one day good then bad, salty then good then bland.  If this is a restaurant, I wouldn't go again.  But for cruise, I can pick and choose, if I don't like it I can get a different new dish and cruise is not always about food so, yes I will go on MSC again.  It is all about knowing the taste of masses and have the cook taste that before sending out to serve to ensure food quality.  When TLC is in the food it will always taste better. 

Food is a personal, deep-seated idiosyncrasy peculiar to each individual. Would it be farfetched to imagine that the same chef is rotating from one kitchen to another, in a confined space as a cruise ship, in response to more anticipated bookings in one venue from another; cooking on similar hardware the same seafood, chicken, meats only presented differently? Perception is reality. The buffet appears to be a free for all, but take the same entrees and put them on a dressed plate with colorful garnish, served in moments by an attentive waiter grinding pepper, grading cheese, and topping up your glass of wine….viola … an upcharge!

Currently on Seashore -

1) finding buffet very nice with various choices

2) breakfast buffet offers more variety than dining room menu for that meal

3) have not eaten in dining room for lunch 

4) buffet tables cleaned quickly

5) bar staff excellent about the buffet

6) dinner menus fine - always something that suites us

7) a lot of fruit available - do not feel MSC excels in desserts

Just pulling into Ocean Cay - yeah!

• Like 2