Solstice Decks

parrja

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2022 at 5:40 PM, parrja said:

Appreciate knowing the decks that have covered or semi-covered balconies; just can't sit full sun due to health conditions.  Thanks!

In our experience it is the direction the ship is heading rather than the deck that makes the difference on how much shade you get. However, a deeper balcony often adds to the shade options. May be worth you looking at the S class reviews then naming the ship you are looking at and the specific rooms you are considering…Agree that

13 minutes ago, maggie.1008 said:

Not much shade in aft cabins. If avoiding sun I would not book.

We love aft views but you can frazzle…

24 minutes ago, chemmo said:

In our experience it is the direction the ship is heading rather than the deck that makes the difference on how much shade you get. However, a deeper balcony often adds to the shade options. <snip>

Graphics are not my strong suit, but maybe this will help.

The staterooms on the "angle" have the deeper balconies. (Red circles)

The angled balconies are booked quickly on most cruises. Some people dislike the mid-ship forward facing deeper balconies as they are not protected from the wind like the aft facing ones.

The staterooms on the top two decks have an overhang that provides more shade. (Orange lines)

Because the overhang obstructs your view up, these are deemed less desirable by some.

520780825_Solsticeangledbalconiesbalconieswithoverhangs.thumb.jpg.de99eeb81be0a4497f637aa4a1d9375c.jpg

AQ cabins on Deck 11 forward of the hump (1610-1552 Starboard side) and 1605-1547 Port side) are pretty much covered by the pool deck above.  The aft suites on Deck 12 are pretty much covered by the Oceanview Cafe above.   The aft cabins on Deck 12 are also covered by the O/V cafe above, but the rest of the afts have minimal shade coverage.  The staterooms mentioned above on the angle with deep balconies are basically covered by the balcony above them.

• 1 month later...

The aft cabins on deck 10 are not covered.   For Alaska it was an issue when raining.   Fortunately we had very little wind on those balconies compared to open areas on the ship.   So we were still able to enjoy with our umbrellas!   

On 4/11/2022 at 12:40 PM, parrja said:

Appreciate knowing the decks that have covered or semi-covered balconies; just can't sit full sun due to health conditions.  Thanks!

As mentioned, the direction the ship is heading makes a difference in the amount of shade.  Generally, on Deck 11, you will get either the early morning or late afternoon sun.  In between, there will be a good amount of shade on your balcony.  There are generally overhangs above Deck 11 which provides shade.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:38 PM, Wineaux007 said:

AQ cabins on Deck 11 forward of the hump (1610-1552 Starboard side) and 1605-1547 Port side) are pretty much covered by the pool deck above.  The aft suites on Deck 12 are pretty much covered by the Oceanview Cafe above.   The aft cabins on Deck 12 are also covered by the O/V cafe above, but the rest of the afts have minimal shade coverage.  The staterooms mentioned above on the angle with deep balconies are basically covered by the balcony above them.

I do not like any of those AQ cabins because they are directly under the pool deck.  Early morning there can often be annoying noise as the pool staff moves loungers and cleans.   I have a basic rule about any ship which is carefully look at what is above, below, and around any cabin.  In a perfect world we prefer to be surrounded by other cabins (especially above) although a seldom used public room is sometimes OK.  When we have booked AQ on deck 11 we opt for cabins aft of the hump.

Hank

We are booked on the Solstice in March 2023, traveling the west coast. We have 1672, aqua class on deck 11, aft. Anyone have any direct knowledge of that cabin's overhead coverage? From reading here, it sounds like certain times of the day we'll be fine for sitting out there enjoying the views without baking in the sun. Very excited to be doing aqua class for the first time.

Thanks!

On 4/11/2022 at 12:40 PM, parrja said:

We were in Cabin #9251 on deck 9 on the Solstice and our balcony was covered.

1 hour ago, floinnc said:

We are booked on the Solstice in March 2023, traveling the west coast. We have 1672, aqua class on deck 11, aft. Anyone have any direct knowledge of that cabin's overhead coverage? From reading here, it sounds like certain times of the day we'll be fine for sitting out there enjoying the views without baking in the sun. Very excited to be doing aqua class for the first time.

Thanks!

You have Suites and CC staterooms directly above you, and your balcony is only partially covered.  

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I do not like any of those AQ cabins because they are directly under the pool deck.  Early morning there can often be annoying noise as the pool staff moves loungers and cleans.   I have a basic rule about any ship which is carefully look at what is above, below, and around any cabin.  In a perfect world we prefer to be surrounded by other cabins (especially above) although a seldom used public room is sometimes OK.  When we have booked AQ on deck 11 we opt for cabins aft of the hump.

Hank

16 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

You have Suites and CC staterooms directly above you, and your balcony is only partially covered.  

Yes, many get “upgrades” to Aqua class, thinking they got a deal & then noise from pool chairs early AM and pool noise….

I checked on the web site that shows all the ships decks and you can drag one over the other. The pool on deck 12 is in the middle of the ship and my cabin is aft so I shouldn't have any noise. Yes, a concierge cabin is above 1672 and there does seem to be an overhang. I think we'll be fine. Thanks for all the input!

58 minutes ago, floinnc said:

I checked on the web site that shows all the ships decks and you can drag one over the other. The pool on deck 12 is in the middle of the ship and my cabin is aft so I shouldn't have any noise. Yes, a concierge cabin is above 1672 and there does seem to be an overhang. I think we'll be fine. Thanks for all the input!

You shouldn't have any noise whatsoever.  The staterooms above you are directly below the outside eating area of the Oceanview Cafe.  Those staterooms have a large overhang that virtually covers the entire balcony.  As the decks tier down, the overhang is only about 1/3rd of the balcony.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, floinnc said:

Thanks!

We just returned from Alaska and were in 1670. It was nice having the Sunset Veranda. It was pretty open from above by the rail but closer to sliding door seemed more covered. I enjoyed an afternoon relaxing. Depending on where sun is located during the day, it can get toasty. The views were lovely!

• Thanks 1