Octantis....new learning curve...

With sadness we made a difficult decision today and rebooked our British Explorer cruise for 2023.  It doesn’t sound like we are alone having made this decision.  COVID does not frighten us, daily testing and quarantining in London instead of getting on a plane to come home, made us realize it’s not worth the risk this year. 

To cheer ourselves up we took the opportunity to jump on Octantis this summer, not something we’d seriously considered but here we are!  I realize no one can speak from experience, but I’d love to hear any information anyone else has come up with.  Staterooms will be smaller, we’ll be going with a Jr. suite, and basically everything appears to be mini versions of the ocean ships with some added perks.  The outside lounge area with the fire tables looks very enjoyable, and of course the RIBS, kayaks and other equipment should be a neat experience. 

I’m not happy that I read you need to pay for specialty coffee since my morning latte in the Living Room is not to be toyed with. Hopefully they are talking about alcoholic coffee and not what is included on the ocean cruises. 

I’m hoping those of you who will be boarding the end of April will be willing to post information when you return.  PLEASE!

The biggest problem (Only a problem given the usual excellence we've come to expect on Viking) has been with excursions/expeditions.  In fact in Antarctica everything worked like it should.  If weather was a factor, plan B was put in place and deviations clearly communicated to the pax.  We're now in the Caribbean and things aren't as smooth.  No doubt COVID has played a role, but the Daily should include all excursion info, meeting place, time et al.  A moderate excursion turned out to be a very challenging climb for all up a dirt, sometimes muddy and rocky trail.  

That said it's a beautiful ship.  The wait and bar staff couldn't be more helpful.  Food is as expected on Viking.  No charge for cappuccino's or expressos.  

I've been reading your https://eylarson.wixsite.com/website-1 thanks to MarkTapley, and am thrilled that you are doing such a great job of keeping others informed.  This looks like the same, but very different Viking cruise experience, if that makes sense.  I'm wondering if the demographics is a bit different on Octantis.  It appears it would draw a more adventurous and vigorous cruiser, does that seem to be the case?  Also it was interesting reading your comments that they focus more on education than entertainment...is that correct?  Do they have afternoon tea like the other ships? 

We will be doing one of the Great Lakes this summer, so far less ambitious than what you are doing.  I think my husband would enjoy the kayaks on the Great Lakes. 

Thanks again for being willing to share your experiences with us!  

There are a number of younger (relatively speaking) people on board, but demographics probably off by the large number of journalists on this leg, 40 or so is the rumor.  

The Expedition Leader, Danny Edmunds, (Cruise director equivalent) is not the best.  Just answered three questions re COVID procedures, about entry back into the US at San Juan with, "I don't know."  Excursions have not been a strong point on the Expedition journey.  Mark, the Excursion Manager, seems to be doing his best, but there is an info gap among the local excursion leaders, the ship and the web info.  

5 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

eylarson, do you know if it is going to be possible to make submarine reservations prior to boarding? 

No submersible ops in the Great Lakes.  No reservations in advance because the operators must have your weight.  There is also a cautionary safety brief before weigh in advising of the agility required to go from Zodiac to sub landing step, to the sub ladder, down the ladder and the crawl to the seating.  Finally a warning that those with claustrophobia are advised to not participate.   Once you've viewed the safety brief, and weigh-in the operators determine the best mix of passengers for each dive i.e. you may not be paired with your traveling companion.  A time the next day is scheduled for you to show.  If you don't go due to poor conditions or a submarine mechanical problem, you will be rescheduled, but not necessarily with a priority because you missed the day before.   

Be realistic in your expectations. The limited operating envelope of the submersibles and the cautious approach taken by Viking means more people have had their scheduled dive cancelled than have gone. You’ll miss excursions/expeditions that you might never do again.

Very helpful....I did not realize the complexities...that make sense.  From what Editor Colleen wrote, it sounds like they will be allowed in Canada on the Great Lakes, but not in the US, so I'm guessing it will be very limited.  I understand now how complex it is with weights and of course weather conditions.  

Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 10:07 PM, eylarson said:

The biggest problem (Only a problem given the usual excellence we've come to expect on Viking) has been with excursions/expeditions.  In fact in Antarctica everything worked like it should.  If weather was a factor, plan B was put in place and deviations clearly communicated to the pax.  We're now in the Caribbean and things aren't as smooth.  No doubt COVID has played a role, but the Daily should include all excursion info, meeting place, time et al.  A moderate excursion turned out to be a very challenging climb for all up a dirt, sometimes muddy and rocky trail.  

That said it's a beautiful ship.  The wait and bar staff couldn't be more helpful.  Food is as expected on Viking.  No charge for cappuccino's or expressos.  

I was reading your blog - thank you for that! I grew up in the 1000 Islands along the Seaway Trail. In the St Lawrence Seaway Shipwatchers Facebook page, everyone is following the Octantis’ travels up the St. Lawrence River and they were wondering if there were passengers onboard, so I shared a link to your blog. I’m so sorry that you missed the beautiful 1000 Islands because you were traversing the area at night. There are two beautiful castles and many more gorgeous islands/cottages to see in that area. If you ever get a chance to return to the 1000 Islands, you should go! 

We just saw the Octantis in Detroit.  She was not docked downtown so that is a bummer for those on board and our weather today is DREADFUL cold Spring rain.  Where did they take you for your excursions?  We will be onboard for this New Year's Eve!

• Like 1