How long now for airport random test results

mousefan73

Hi there!

I have read often online in the past Canadians who were returning and were randomly given Airport Tests Often waited many days for results. What is the status at the moment? We are flying into Vancouver for a few days before our cruise and I was thinking what are the chances of us already being on the boat before we get results?

When my family returned home from a trip in February (when they were testing practically everyone on arrival), our results came scattered over 24-72 hours.  I suspect now that there a much less people getting tested you'd be looking at 24 hours on average.  

5 hours ago, mousefan73 said:

Hi there!

I have read often online in the past Canadians who were returning and were randomly given Airport Tests Often waited many days for results. What is the status at the moment? We are flying into Vancouver for a few days before our cruise and I was thinking what are the chances of us already being on the boat before we get results?

The random tests are PCR tests so they take longer. Usually within 36 hours. I was tested at 4pm and got my results the next afternoon. And the cruise line may still require tests as well. 

For what it’s worth, we flew LHR-YYZ on April 1st and didn’t see a single random test given out.  Also didn’t get one at the land border in early March.  In the past I’ve been randomly picked a few times as I am back and forth between Canada and the US a minimum of once a month.  I think it’s very low on their list of to-do’s now.

5 hours ago, mousefan73 said:

Hi there!

As you are flying in "a few days" before your cruise, it's unlikely that you wouldn't have your results before boarding. There are four possible scenarios:

Random results arrive before embarkation - negative: no issues

Random results arrive after embarkation - negative: no issues

Random results arrive before embarkation - positive: you will need to quarantine and will miss your cruise. 

Random results arrive after embarkation - positive: as you need to be tested as part of your boarding requirements, it is possible but unlikely that you would test negative on this test and be ok to board. If that were to happen, and your positive random test result arrived after embarkation, you would need to advise the medical office.

According to the GOC, as a fully vaccinated traveller, you can travel to your destination, including on connecting flights, without waiting for your arrival test results. Not unexpectedly, they have not made any specific requirements for people flying in for a cruise.

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

As you are flying in "a few days" before your cruise, it's unlikely that you wouldn't have your results before boarding. There are four possible scenarios:

Random results arrive before embarkation - negative: no issues

Random results arrive after embarkation - negative: no issues

Random results arrive before embarkation - positive: you will need to quarantine and will miss your cruise. 

Random results arrive after embarkation - positive: as you need to be tested as part of your boarding requirements, it is possible but unlikely that you would test negative on this test and be ok to board. If that were to happen, and your positive random test result arrived after embarkation, you would need to advise the medical office.

According to the GOC, as a fully vaccinated traveller, you can travel to your destination, including on connecting flights, without waiting for your arrival test results. Not unexpectedly, they have not made any specific requirements for people flying in for a cruise.

The issue is a PCR can be positive from a past infection. An antigen not ( cruise test) 

21 minutes ago, mousefan73 said:

The issue is a PCR can be positive from a past infection. An antigen not ( cruise test) 

Agreed, either one can give you a false positive. If you have had COVID recently and this is a concern, a Certificate of Recovery might be a better option for boarding if you can acquire one and your cruise line accepts them.