Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier (Scenic Cruising), small boat excusion worth it?

Elizabeth K.

We will visit this spot on our inside passage cruise on Princess in early Sept.  Is it worth it to take the one excursion offered? Its a high speed catamaran that gets you up close to the glacier. There are no reviews on the Princess site.  have cruise AK once before with the Glacier Bay itinerary, which was beautiful, but the ship for obvious reasons doesn't get close to the close to the glaciers.

Also a bit confusing, is that the itinerary for Princess says 5-9 am. The details of the excursion say it starts at 7am and it's 6 hrs. This doesn't seem possible. I'll have to check with Princess about this.

We've done this excursion a number of times and it's well worth the cost. You will off load from the cruise ship on to a smaller boat and continue up Tracy Arm. The cruise ship will turn around at Sawyer Island and continue on to Juneau. The small boat you get onto will continue up to Tracy Arm and get within about 1/4 of a mile from the glacier, your so close it seems like you can almost touch the glacier. When you leave Sawyer Glacier you'll make your way back to Juneau arriving shortly after the cruise docks in Juneau. If there is to much ice in Tracy Arm they will divert to Dawes Glacier in Endicott Arm. We've seen whales coming out of Tracy Arm and bears on the beach on numerous occasions. The small boats are run by Allen marine

• Like 1

Definitely worth it.  There is also a round trip to Tracy Arm out of Juneau, but only if your ship arrives in time for a 8:00 a.m. excursion departure.  I did that a few years ago and it was spectacular.  This year I'm doing the cruise ship excursion that drops you onto the small boat when nearing Tracy Arm. 

Tracy Arm is one of my favorite experiences in Alaska. 

• Like 1