Explorer 2. Inside/outside 16m² Balcony upgrade worth it?

Looking at inside/outside cabins on Explorer 2 and they say 16m². Looking at Balcony option also says 16m² though, presume that’s not including the balcony?

Worry is it’s now 4 adults (2 “kids” of 20+ age), and I’m worried all won’t fit in and be a bit awkward?

The balcony upgrade is £900 so very expensive, I thought it would also mean the cabin would be larger but doesn’t seem to be? Is that correct?

Also it seems inside/outside have fold down beds if for 4, which again I think the “kids” would struggle with. Is the balcony proper floor beds, and if so then as both inside and balcony are shown as 16M² then the balcony cabin must be much smaller?

Any one been in both? Any pics or comments appreciated. 

Hi Don't know if you have cruised before but I would think four adults in a cabin with fold down beds would be very tight be it with a balcony or inside. Our family always had two cabins, mom and daughter in one dad and son in the other but they are younger, obviously depending on your family it could be different. Sorry we don't have any photos but space is very restricted. 

Hope all goes well 🤞 o

Cruised a while ago yes and we did have 2 cabins. As you say it’s tight! I’m sure there was a fold down in the cabin, at least 1 and I thought then would be squeezed to have another body in. 

I thought that having the balcony would make the cabin bigger, seems to on other cruises, but looking at descriptions seems 16m² for both?

Edited by MrLoLoLo

Agree with PC's comments, we wouldn't cruise with 4 adults in a balcony and would recommend you get two cabins (of whatever grade) for the four in your family.

Suppose for your first cruise if your budget is fairly restricted you may be best thinking of getting 2 x inside cabins to find out if you are going to enjoy the cruise holiday experience

Good luck planning!!!

The Deluxe cabin is 19 m2 , and depending on deck has a separating door in between the bed and a sofa bed,.

The beds on decks 8/9 are fixed to the wall on 2 sides and have a sliding door, we have gone for deck 10 which has a normal main  bed layout with a sofa bed but no dividing door , these are at the aft of the ship and have a big balcony.

Before choosing a balcony, I would examine the prices for 2 separate cabins vs all squeezing into 1 cabin, as showering/getting ready for evening meal, sleeping/rising at separate times could spoil the cruise experience.

I just tried a dummy booking for the 3 seas explorer cruise in October. 4 in one cabin was £1001 each, whereas 2 cabins with 2 in each was £1073 each.

Those prices don't include the £400 discount, which for that particular cruise, you would make 2 separate bookings, in order to benefit from £400 off each booking

Edited by howmuch!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, howmuch! said:

Those prices don't include the £400 discount, which for that particular cruise, you would make 2 separate bookings, in order to benefit from £400 off each booking

Thanks for that, that would be a no brainier if that price then yes. 

I just thought a balcony would be bigger but you’re correct it’s too small for 4 adults so going to have to be 2 cabins. It’s just I really fancied a balcony. 

Where is the discount please? A code? For all cruises?

Price obviously will depend on which cruise you are interested in. If booking online, be careful to try different combinations. I originally tried a booking with 4 people in 2 cabins, and it gave a price where one cabin was an inside on deck 4/5 and the other was on deck 8/9. You can obviously change that selection as you book.

Also some cruises have discounts, which are usually per booking rather than per person, so 2 separate bookings has the advantage of gaining a discount on each.

We always choose a cabin, so £50 extra, but if you wanted 2 cabins together, check what cabins are available in a dummy booking before the actual booking.

You have probably realised by now,  why I selected my 'handle' - Howmuch!

All the codes are on the website. The £400 ones are for a small number of relocation cruises, where the ship is moving from one cruise area to another (Adriatic to Canaries in that case)

If you use Topcashback or Quidco, they usually offer a small discount by booking via their website (usually 1%)

Edited by howmuch!

18 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Topcashback don't always pay out☹️

True, and same with Quidco, but its just an added bonus when it pays. I would never buy anything based purely on the cashback.

I've been with both sites for several years, and Tui have been virtually 100% payers. If I've been browsing holidays to find what suits us, I always clear cookies and restart computer before using them though.