Semi Live Britannia B210 Blog

Vampiress88

1 minute ago, Vampiress88 said:

oh gosh 😂 

its t-shirts. I’ve missed out the r somehow. 

I’ve gone back to edit and it won’t let me. 

we spent €25 euros on t-shirts, gave a street performer €2 and left €7 for the steward cos I felt bad for making him do the laundry. 

Oh, that makes perfect sense 😀 thanks. I mean I know a few 4 letter words but going through them and it wasnt making any sense 😆.

Thought it might have been some type of p&o specific thing just that I just haven't experienced yet. I must make sure I put some money aside for the t-**** 😳

• Haha 1

It can be a challenge sometimes that regular cruisers use abreviations,initials or just names that are the norm for them but not to newbies,it can be like a different language!😆

Thanks for your postings Vamps,I agree it has been like being there with you!

Happy travelling!

11 hours ago, annarack said:

Have just been catching up on your blog and really enjoyed hearing how you found everything.  We were also on board, with the same age children, and we definitely saw you guys around.  We also attended the magic shows and family discos etc.  We thought the family entertainment provided, such as these events and the craft activities etc, were nice additions as the kids club hours were more restricted than we had been used to previously.  However 3 hours per day was fine for us and the children attended most of the sessions they were allocated, apart from those when we were exploring ashore as a family.

We thought the MDR menu was a little shorter than usual with the "always available" items having been mixed in with the daily specials.  We always found something we fancied on the menu and the children tended to pick a combination of foods from the main and kids menus.  The buffet was fine, although a little repetitive but we used it for breakfast and lunch most days, along with the pizza and burger stations poolside.

We had a balcony cabin, different to the photos above, but the layout wasn't great either.  The single sofa bed blocked the fridge and coffee making area when laid out.  Both this bed and the bunk above opened right across the balcony making it pretty inaccessible.  In the end the children shared the sofa bed and we asked the cabin steward to leave the bunk closed up each night.  The launderettes being closed was a shock but the cabin steward took our laundry daily and arranged to have it done free for us, so no issues.  We have however now upgraded our upcoming cruises on Azura and Ventura to the deluxe cabins with the double sofa bed and bath.  We thought the standard balcony cabins would be big enough now our children are a little older, but we found it cramped so are returning to the deluxe balcony cabins we we always used to book when our children were babies/toddlers.

We enjoyed all the ports and found plenty to do.  We had visited them all on previous cruises so did some activities we had done before and explored some new places.  We took the bus to the Oceanarium in Lisbon which was excellent.  We visited the Museum of Imagination in Malaga which was small but fun, then slowly walked back to the ship via the tropical gardens and beach.  In Cadiz we spent a couple of hours at the beach (La Caleta) which was lovely.  Looks like we visited many of the same places Vampiress, as we have very similar photos!  Every port stop included playgrounds and ice cream.  Gibraltar was our biggest day out, we walked to the cable car and went up to see the monkeys, then explored the Botanical Gardens where we went to the zoo and excellent playground.  We had lunch at a pizzeria then walked back via the Trafalgar Cemetery and Main Street to Casemates for an ice cream and cold drinks.

Our children liked the small playground and water splash area onboard although it was really aimed at toddlers.  We swam in the pool several times despite it being pretty chilly.  One evening whilst the children were at kids club we enjoyed a meal for two in Sindhu.  We really enjoyed it and with the a la carte pricing we could just order what we wanted rather than have to have a full blow out feast.  The lobster biryani was delicious.  We also made it to the Crow's Nest that night which was lovely.  Overall our onboard spend was low though, a couple of drinks each for us and maybe a mocktail for the children to share some evenings.  We bought a couple of toys in the shop but that was about it.  On sea days we played cards etc as a family in the atrium.

The ship seemed well staffed and service was good.  The quarantine areas on every deck (mid aft) were a pain though.  We were mid ship so only lifts, no stairs, and we couldn't walk to the back of the ship on any accommodation deck.  We could have walked forward and used those stairs but weren't usually heading for the Spa/Theatre/Epicurian but instead wanted the buffet, kids areas and Live Lounge at the back so an aft cabin would have suited us better in hindsight.  We didn't hear of anyone with covid on board or see anyone disembarked.  Mask wearing dropped off a bit as the cruise progressed but we felt safe and comfortable on board as the ship was not full.  A totally different experience to MSC Virtuosa last summer, something we discussed with other families on board who had also sailed with MSC last year when P&O were not accepting children.  Our next cruise will be with Princess this summer, a line we haven't tried yet, so we are really excited.

You sound just like us with our days ashore organised around our son. Oceanarium in Lisbon is fantastic and I've taken note of what you did in Malaga and Gibraltar.

In return may I suggest for Cadiz catching the number 1 bus from Avenida del Puerto (immediately next to the port) to Residencia then a short walk to Playa de la Victoria which we think is far nicer than the beach nearer the port (La Caleta). It's only a short ride, the bus fares are cheap and after some beach time we usually have something to eat in our favourite restaurant La Marea which is nearby.  www.lamarea.es

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DamianG said:

You sound just like us with our days ashore organised around our son. Oceanarium in Lisbon is fantastic and I've taken note of what you did in Malaga and Gibraltar.

In return may I suggest for Cadiz catching the number 1 bus from Avenida del Puerto (immediately next to the port) to Residencia then a short walk to Playa de la Victoria which we think is far nicer than the beach nearer the port (La Caleta). It's only a short ride, the bus fares are cheap and after some beach time we usually have something to eat in our favourite restaurant La Marea which is nearby.  www.lamarea.es

Sadly our overwhelming memory of Cadiz from our visit there in Britannia 's first summer was of the amazing number of people begging for money!

5 minutes ago, snaefell said:

Sadly our overwhelming memory of Cadiz from our visit there in Britannia 's first summer was of the amazing number of people begging for money!

We have been to Cadiz about 6 times over the last 12 years and cannot remember seeing anyone begging, you must have been unlucky.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We have been to Cadiz about 6 times over the last 12 years and cannot remember seeing anyone begging, you must have been unlucky.

We were there last month, and saw no beggars. 

Lincoln, on the other hand !

• Like 5

Yes it must have been our lucky day,sat in the sunshine enjoying our beers we first had some guy playing 'Strangers On The Shore' badly on a clarinet,a Flamenco dancer,she was good,followed by a young lady who placed a laminated card on the table asking for money to support her kids(looked real cute in the photo but they would wouldn't they!) then just as we were thinking of getting another drink in we spotted this guy heading our way on crutches with his collecting tin,our minds made up we headed back to Britannia down a narrow street with a line of people with collecting tins!

It was a real shame really,we were looking for somewhere to go for my birthday in March & up to then Cadiz was looking like a really good option!

4 hours ago, snaefell said:

Yes it must have been our lucky day,sat in the sunshine enjoying our beers we first had some guy playing 'Strangers On The Shore' badly on a clarinet,a Flamenco dancer,she was good,followed by a young lady who placed a laminated card on the table asking for money to support her kids(looked real cute in the photo but they would wouldn't they!) then just as we were thinking of getting another drink in we spotted this guy heading our way on crutches with his collecting tin,our minds made up we headed back to Britannia down a narrow street with a line of people with collecting tins!

It was a real shame really,we were looking for somewhere to go for my birthday in March & up to then Cadiz was looking like a really good option!

I certainly wouldn't factor the possibility of being approached by beggars into my choice of destination as it can happen in so many towns and cities across the world. In Spain a gentle "perdon" or  "Lo siento" and virtually any/all will just move along. With the economic downturn, we shall all probably see more of it sadly. There but for......etc....

• Like 5

People trying to entertain you (buskers, dancers, etc) are not beggars and some poor unfortunates sadly have no choice. If the situation in Spain upsets you I suggest you avoid third world countries. PS the flamenco dancer who used to be in Cadiz was a breast cancer survivor raising funds. Have not seen her for a while. Hope she is surviving still.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, snaefell said:

Were they passengers who had purchased the drinks package?🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

On 5/1/2022 at 4:37 PM, Vampiress88 said:

I remember the buffet was Verona and Venezia. 

it’s what the beach house used to be. Thought it was trattoria or something 

We used to love that before they changed it to the Beach House. When we used it on Ventura it was free! A right find and a queue used to form about 6pm once word got round.

I much preferred the Italian food there to the more ‘American’ food it is now.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I just had a look at some notes I made when I was on Azura in 2010. I wrote it down as Trattoria at Verona. I always enjoyed going there 

I used to like it when different ships had different restaurants. Like Ramblas on Ventura, Cafe Jardin on Oceana and Orchid on Arcadia. It gave individuality to each ship 

Completely  agree! I LOVED Cafe Jardin, great location and free for breakfast and lunch.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Me too

Still can’t remember its name

The food was much lighter, and, as you say, no extra charge other than for lava steak, and special prawns and strawberries (?flambé)

I remember paying extra for strawberries in champagne I think.

As dermotsgirl has just said I think it was Trattoria at Verona.

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DamianG said:

I know, if they are happy, we are happy and have much more enjoyable relaxed days out!  I have enjoyed reading some of your previous reviews of trips with your son and may have picked up the tip about the easy bus ride to the aquarium from one of them if I remember correctly. 

We did see the other long stretch of beaches in Cadiz from the promenade when we walked back past the cathedral towards the centre/ship, they looked lovely.  They were on our list with the bus trip, but we didn't make it that far.  We tied in the La Caleta beach with Parque Genoves because we had read about model dinosaurs there, however we found they had all been put away in a closed off area, we had to just peer at them through some netting!

I will put the restaurant on my list for a future visit, it looks great.

I have been pulling together some notes on all the ports we tend to visit on cruises using old notes we had made and places we remember being fun.  Good excuse to look back at old holiday photos.  I really enjoy the research and finding family friendly reviews.  We are going down to the Canaries a couple of times next Spring and I have the Lido in Tenerife on the list which I think was also one of your recommendations - please keep them coming!  We have really, really missed cruising the last couple of years and have lots of exploring to catch up on.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2022 at 2:29 PM, Harry Peterson said:

That does sound much better - I'd be happy with that. 

I've got no problems with buffets per se, or cheap eating (seaside fish and chip restaurants like Papa's on Cleethorpes pier - magic!).  But when there's the MDR as an option, the buffet's not even a runner.

Maybe the horrors of our very first visit (lunchtime on embarkation day) did permanent damage!  I'd never seen anything quite like it.

At the risk of sounding like I agree with everything you say Harry, I've seen the buffet horrors too, and plenty of them.  I've witnessed families depart the buffet leaving tables full of food, some of which has never been sampled; eg desserts/muffins/rolls. I have to confess though that this is more prevalent on US cruise ships with an international clientele. These days, if the MDR isn't open, we will go to the buffet early or eat ashore.

On 5/2/2022 at 3:54 PM, Vampiress88 said:

We didn’t meet any beggars in Cadiz. 

I'm late to your report Vamps, but I've really enjoyed it, and like others, thought the photos of your daughters were delightful. Thanks for taking the time to do it. I've not yet sailed on Britannia but I hope to put that right before too long. 

Time to start planning a Florida trip perhaps? 😉

11 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

I'm late to your report Vamps, but I've really enjoyed it, and like others, thought the photos of your daughters were delightful. Thanks for taking the time to do it. I've not yet sailed on Britannia but I hope to put that right before too long. 

Time to start planning a Florida trip perhaps? 😉

whoops. May have booked Florida already 🤦‍♀️Planning has commenced. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I would have agreed with you about families unnecessarily leaving food in the buffet, until we cruised with our youngest son and family, of 2 boys of 4 and 9 both fussy eaters. To get them to eat sufficient my son and DIL allowed them to choose various breakfast foods from the buffet  which were all grazed, but rarely completed. However it satisfied their appetites, and avoided pointless arguments and tantrums. So I now understand why these things happen.

Personally, I pay no attention to other diners, unless they are particularly noisy. However, I would far rather sit on a table next to some folk who left some food uneaten than the types who critically scrutinise what others are consuming (or not) and feel the need to pass comment on it. The latter strikes me as far more ill mannered than the former. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Personally, I pay no attention to other diners, unless they are particularly noisy. However, I would far rather sit on a table next to some folk who left some food uneaten than the types who critically scrutinise what others are consuming (or not) and feel the need to pass comment on it. The latter strikes me as far more ill mannered than the former. 

We used the MDR a number of times on our two cruises on Britannia,always asking for a table for two,trouble was IME many of the tables were so close together that you might as well have been sharing,sadly too many times next to people who were clearly very much the worse for alcohol!😮

4 minutes ago, snaefell said:

We used the MDR a number of times on our two cruises on Britannia,always asking for a table for two,trouble was IME many of the tables were so close together that you might as well have been sharing,sadly too many times next to people who were clearly very much the worse for alcohol!😮

Yes, many of the tables for two are effectively very long tables with small gaps between them! I always refuse those. One of the very few advantages of having a partner in a wheelchair is that they invariably give us a table for 4 just for the two of us!