2 Questions about Breakaway and Haven

Z3r0

My wife and I will have our first Haven experience on our 3rd NCL cruise in August (21-28) out of New York, and we're very excited, as it has been way too long since we've been on a cruise!  I have 2 questions that are related to the cruse but not to each other and was looking for some guidance.

My first question involves checking in/the first day.  The cruise disembarks New York at 11:59 PM, and we've never been on a cruise that disembarks at this time.  What time would check-in typically be for a cruise that leaves at 11:59 PM? We're trying to plan our day in NYC, and I don't want to miss too much time that I could be on the ship.  Will we be able to have dinner in the Haven restaurant on the first night (while the ship is still in port)?  My gut tells me yes, but I really hate assuming.

My second question involves special requests in the Haven restaurant.  My wife and I really enjoy French Onion Soup, and love Escargots.  I know these items are available at La Bistro, but what are the chances I could get either or both of those items in the Haven restaurant?

Thanks in advance!

57 minutes ago, Z3r0 said:

My wife and I will have our first Haven experience on our 3rd NCL cruise in August (21-28) out of New York, and we're very excited, as it has been way too long since we've been on a cruise!  I have 2 questions that are related to the cruse but not to each other and was looking for some guidance.

My first question involves checking in/the first day.  The cruise disembarks New York at 11:59 PM, and we've never been on a cruise that disembarks at this time.  What time would check-in typically be for a cruise that leaves at 11:59 PM? We're trying to plan our day in NYC, and I don't want to miss too much time that I could be on the ship.  Will we be able to have dinner in the Haven restaurant on the first night (while the ship is still in port)?  My gut tells me yes, but I really hate assuming.

My second question involves special requests in the Haven restaurant.  My wife and I really enjoy French Onion Soup, and love Escargots.  I know these items are available at La Bistro, but what are the chances I could get either or both of those items in the Haven restaurant?

Thanks in advance!

You need to check in at least 2 hours before departure, but they may cut it off earlier. The majority of the ship will be checking in and boarding for lunch. 

You could coordinate with the restaurant staff to bring it up from Le Bistro. You will pay a la cart pricing for it ($12 and $9). They may or may not do it since it takes restaurant staff to run for the food, degrading the service for everyone else in the restaurant. They may ask your butler to do it. 

11 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You could coordinate with the restaurant staff to bring it up from Le Bistro. You will pay a la cart pricing for it ($12 and $9). They may or may not do it since it takes restaurant staff to run for the food, degrading the service for everyone else in the restaurant. They may ask your butler to do it. 

So unfortunate that you were charged! I love the escargot from LeBistro and the Haven restaurant has been wonderful about arranging it for me. ( I would definitely be willing to pay for it if asked, but I never have been.)

I never thought to ask for it to be brought to the Haven restaurant until I was asked by the Concierge several years back why I hadn't been eating dinner in the Haven restaurant during the cruise.  I told him that I was in LeBistro most nights because I loved the escargot.  That's when he told me that they could easily serve the escargot in the Haven. I don't think he would have made that offer if it was going to "degrade" service for other diners?

Regarding embarkation time,  I'm not sure about the time for a midnight sailing, but I wouldn't count on being able to have lunch onboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1