Cruise from NYC to NE and Canada and DUI on record

ohiofamily2021

I have googled it but the answers are all over the place.  If you are a US citizen with a history of a DUI on your record can you still take a cruise from NYC to NE states and Canada back to NYC and just not get of the ship in Canada?  DUI is more than 10 years old but no interest in applying for a temporary permit or a rehabilitation form etc;.  My family is content to not get off the ship in Canada, we just do not want to be denied boarding on the cruise at all.  You would think with the prevalence of DUI's in our country, the cruise line would tell you this was a hard stop. You cannot tell me that ships with 3000 and 4000 passengers each week do not have any passengers without any DUI's on their record !!??

About 4 years ago, we were on a NE/Canada cruise. One of our table mates at dinner had legal problems in his past (don't know what the issues were). He was never told when he booked that there could be issues. About a day before we got to Halifax, he received notice he could not leave the ship. That was the the only ramification. But his wife was told she was free to leave if she wanted to. Never an issue of denied boarding.

1 hour ago, mets123 said:

About 4 years ago, we were on a NE/Canada cruise. One of our table mates at dinner had legal problems in his past (don't know what the issues were). He was never told when he booked that there could be issues. About a day before we got to Halifax, he received notice he could not leave the ship. That was the the only ramification. But his wife was told she was free to leave if she wanted to. Never an issue of denied boarding.

That was what I assumed would happen. It’s Canadian border services that would deny you entry. As far as I know you wouldn’t pre-clear Canadian customs before arriving in port. 

I know prior to arrival of the ship, the ship gives the agents the manifest of passengers. I just wouldn’t imagine the cruise line would have access to that info ahead of time to deny boarding. 

On 4/19/2022 at 9:43 PM, 1kaper said:

I just wouldn’t imagine the cruise line would have access to that info ahead of time to deny boarding. 

The issue would seem to be the same as with all other modes (e.g., airplane, bus, railroad). The carrier would not know upon passenger boarding how Canadian immigration officials might decide at the port of entry. If it turns out that the Canada denies entry, then it becomes the responsibility of the carrier to deport the illegal alien.

Living on the Canadian border, we know of several people who may not enter Canada because of past DUI charges. It's a Canadian law and I don't believe the history goes away.  Since you are boarding the ship in the US you shouldn't have any issues with that.  It's once you want to enter Canada that you will run into issues.  I don't believe the cruise line will deport you, I think you will just be denied entry into Canada at the port. 

Montreal is only an hour drive and crossing into Canada was a common occurrence for us before 9/11 and COVID.  Rules have gotten stricter and it's harder to make a trip on a whim. But that DUI law has been enforced for many years.

I would think Canadian immigration could answer your exact question.

We were on a land trip in 2019. Someone on the coach(maybe more than one) had a DUI from the mid 90s.  We crossed over without incident.  It was a remote crossing from Montana into Alberta.  

Does the AriveCan ask this question?   I took a brief look at it and thought I saw it there. 

• 2 months later...