Zaandam Dry Dock

tvlgoddess

1 hour ago, tvlgoddess said:

Now that I see Zaandam has arrived in Ft Lauderdale, I am wondering what was done during her dry dock in Spain.  Anyone know? 

Please do a search on CC seeking an answer to your question.  I have responded twice to such questions with a list of what was done.  It was extensive involving both interior and exterior work on the ship.

My information's source was from Cruise Industry News, a well respected source of news about the cruise industry.  If your search on CC does not provide the information you seek, try their web site.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Windyledge said:

A related question, Zaandam was suppose to get The Music Walk added in May of 2020.  I don’t see that that occurred?  Anyone know?

Not for sure.  The information that I have is not that detailed as to what new guest enhancements will be available.  

5 hours ago, Windyledge said:

A related question, Zaandam was suppose to get The Music Walk added in May of 2020.  I don’t see that that occurred?  Anyone know?

That would surprise me if it did - not sure where the unused public space with sufficient sound-muffling would be, nor the cabin space for that large a group of new entertainers (Rolling Stones, Lincoln Center, Dueling Pianos, BB Kings) on the much smaller Zaandam.

Maybe this would replace the total number former main stage dancer-singer crews, which have been getting phased out anyway on the smaller ships.

Interesting. 

16 hours ago, Windyledge said:

A related question, Zaandam was suppose to get The Music Walk added in May of 2020.  I don’t see that that occurred?

Per the latest deck plan, the Zaandam has Billboard Onboard and Lincoln Center Stage (both on deck 5). The date on the deck plan is 2/11/2020.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/ships/pdf-files/za-deck-plan040118.pdf

I will add my two cents on this topic.

First, the deck plans that are active on HAL's site currently show deck 5 as below. Mix is still shown along with Explorer's Lounge. I am sailing on Zaandam May 12. The current incomplete schedule in the Navigator App does not mention Lincoln Center Stage or Billboard Onboard, but does reference Explorers Lounge and the Piano Bar. I'm pretty sure if the music walk had been added to Zaandam during her recent drydock there would have been some sort of press release from HAL. 

image.thumb.png.f703b0795f1fbc5d91ac1ec79bf8c5d4.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suspect the link I posted previously was the deck plan post-2020 drydock (which apparently never happened). The two links below have no sign of the two venues mentioned in my first post.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/ships/pdf-files/HAL_Ships_at_a_Glance_Chart.pdf

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/ships/pdf-files/hal-deck-plans-020522.pdf

4 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

The crows nest will be a morgue after 7:30pm.

The Seattle "suits" have never figured out how to use the Crow's Nest during the late afternoon-evening hours.  I have lost track of how many different uses that this valuable piece of cruise ship real estate has experienced.  All offered good entertainment, sometimes low-key--sometimes not when a BB King's Group performed there on my Rotterdam VI cruise.

Entertainment at MIX was the same. 

Good concepts do seem to arise from time to time in the Seattle Headquarters.  But, either they are not well thought through or.......?    

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Is the Crows Nest right over the Bridge or the officer's cabins?  That might limit its use for other than a daytime observation lounge. 

It is above the Bridge.  Impact of the entertainment on the Bridge below?  Doubt that there is a serious issue with whatever entertainment is offered.  On nights (late) when I attended the BB King's group performances in the Crow's Nest on Rotterdam VI, the Hotel Director and the Captain's wife were sitting at the Bar enjoying the entertainment.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Is the Crows Nest right over the Bridge or the officer's cabins?  That might limit its use for other than a daytime observation lounge. 

The bridge is below the nest, the rooms are behind the bridge. It's the most beautiful place to hang out

during the day and at night with a full ocean view in front of you especially in places like Antarctica.

• Like 1