British Isles cruise ; mask requirements and options?

sofienummer

Hi everyone!

A friend and I are thinking of booking a cruise to the British Isles for the end of May! We are both fully vaccinated, but my friend gets skin rashes from wearing masks and overall she just doesn't like wearing them (I think nobody actually likes wearing them lol, but we do it to protect others!). She doesn't want to go on the cruise if masks are still strictly required/mandatory.

Anyway, I know (for now at least) masks are required indoor at European cruises, but I have a few questions about that:

1. How strict are those rules? For example, if you walk somewhere relatively quiet inside, or sit down to read a book at a quiet place, is a mask mandatory? Or are they somewhat flexible? 

2. Can you get kicked out of the cruise or get a fine if you don't wear a mask? What will they do?

3. How likely are the chances of masks not being required anymore in a month? Is there anywhere I can check the news on it? Especially because in most North-European countries masks are mostly not required anymore.

If she doesn't want to go because of the mask rule, I might go by myself! But I think it's more fun to share the experience. 

I hope someone (maybe someone who's been cruising in Europe these last weeks) can answer my questions! Thanks in advance 🙂

I agree with what you are saying! And I've already talked with her about possibly going myself!

* before it seems like I'm prioritizing my cruise over her lol, I actually wanted to go Solo first, but she asked to join! 

However, it would be a shame if she won't join and then in a few weeks they will declare that masks are no longer mandatory (like what happened for American cruises).

So, does anyone perhaps know if there's a big chance the rules will change in the foreseeable future? 

Thank you and for those that have booked a cruise already: hope everything will be okay with smooth sailing ahead 🙂

I’m not sure whether there have been any NCL cruises from the UK yet.

Masks are required on European cruises, but these are mainly in places that have a mask requirement onshore. However, masks are generally a thing of the past in the UK now (I don’t even carry one with me anymore at home), so it all depends whether NCL are considering individual country requirements or just having a Europe only rule.

If I had to guess then I would go for no masks on UK only cruises, but we will have to see.

For the rules for EU and Schengen countries, this is a great link to check the local requirements ashore for each country: https://reopen.europa.eu/en

You then just scroll down to "Measures in place" and select the country you are insterested in. 

Please note that this does not apply to UK as they are no longer part of EU, but the rest of the ports in Northern Europe are listed.