Victoria, Canadá from San Francisco Covid Testing

debnrick

3 hours ago, hapytobehr said:

Confirmed by John Heald-testing ,must be done 2 days prior to sailing.

Sooooooo does the scenario below meet the test two days prior Canada requirement??????? Time of day doesn’t matter????

Taking the procured home Covid test at 4:30AM (Ohio time) Saturday morning prior to boarding plane bound for San Francisco. Boarding ship at noon ( San Francisco, California time) on Monday.  We are good .. right??? So confusing 🤯🤯🤯

2 minutes ago, debnrick said:

Sooooooo does the scenario below meet the test two days prior Canada requirement??????? Time of day doesn’t matter????

Taking the procured home Covid test at 4:30AM (Ohio time) Saturday morning prior to boarding plane bound for San Francisco. Boarding ship at noon ( San Francisco, California time) on Monday.  We are good .. right??? So confusing 🤯🤯🤯

That is my understanding. The 2 day requirement is any time that day. I am now planning to take a home test at 4:00 AM  for my 7:00 AM flight since they eliminated the 3 day option I originally planned on.

14 hours ago, debnrick said:

Yes

They have updated the Carnival Covid page to clarify a bit more.  And John Heald posted about it.  Still nothing on ArriveCan. 

Fully vaccinated guests traveling to Canada, including those who are up to date with their vaccines, must take their antigen pre-cruise test no earlier than two days prior to sailing, in compliance with Canadian regulations.

Edited by 1kaper
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 12:58 PM, JT1962 said:

To add even more confusion, an update from April 1 seems to indicate no Covid test is required to enter Canada by land, air or water.  Some are saying the other websites showing a test for cruise ship passengers from outside Canada has not been updated, others are saying the April 1 update applies to everyone unless you are on a cruise ship.  

Of course it does say you must use ArriveCAN, but Carnival doesn’t seem to agree.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

768CDBE4-EDB6-4DB9-9C67-0BBB2ACEDFC1.png

5 minutes ago, Daddyfto said:

If you are fully vaccinated at least two shots you no longer need a PCR or Antigen test to enter Canada 

Thats the only reason I cruised last week...

Did you cruise to Canada?

The Government of Canada page is confusing and often contradictory (it has been this entire time). While it says a test is no longer required to enter by air, land and water, there is a separate page for those who are arriving on cruise ships. That page says you DO need an antigen 2 days prior or PCR 3 days prior to embarkation. 

The main page fails to note that there is a difference for those arriving by water via a cruise but the definitely is. 

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

This is posted April 20, 2022

Getting an embarkation test before you board a ship that will dock in Canada

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You must provide proof of one of the following accepted types of test results:

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
  2. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time
  3. Previous positive molecular test result: 
Edited by 1kaper

4 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

So the way I read it is the NAAT test can be used 72 hours before boarding.  Back to my Friday scheduled test.✌️

No

That is Canada's requirements.  Carnival has made it clear that you need to test two days prior to embarkation.  I suspect to keep things simple for their employees instead of trying to determine whether it was a PCR/NAAT or antigen. 

You are dealing with two different entities. You have to meet both requirements. Carnival's requirements meet Canada's.  But they don't offer you as many choices as Canada. 

Edited by 1kaper
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 1kaper said:

No

That is Canada's requirements.  Carnival has made it clear that you need to test two days prior to embarkation.  I suspect to keep things simple for their employees instead of trying to determine whether it was a PCR/NAAT or antigen. 

You are dealing with two different entities. 

Where does carnival mention NAAT test before cruising.  It just mentions antigen.✌️

3 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

Where does carnival mention NAAT test before cruising.  It just mentions antigen.✌️

Exactly.  

They specifically say you need to test 2 days before embarkation.  They do not give the option to take a PCR or NAAT 3 days before.  

For regular sailing they do not make a distinction between PCR and Antigen  and testing time frame.  It's test 3 days before if eligible, if not test 2.  Doesn't matter if you are doing NAAT, PCR, or antigen.  

I've been following this and John's response to people's questions and it is clear at this point they are only accepting testing 2 days before, regardless of test type. 

In the end, it's your cruise.  Do as you wish.  

Edited by 1kaper

And what about B2B's out of Seattle.  You will be tested the day before your stop in Victoria, for your next week cruise.   Now you will now have been tested one day before your first stop and also tested for the next week.✌️

On 4/20/2022 at 6:55 PM, JT1962 said:

That is my understanding. The 2 day requirement is any time that day. I am now planning to take a home test at 4:00 AM  for my 7:00 AM flight since they eliminated the 3 day option I originally planned on.

We are now in the exact same situation. Quick question as we have never home tested:

I am looking online at this product: Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services for Travel - 2 Pack

Mentioned above is a 4AM test. Is this kind of proctoring generally available 24/7? The hours of proctoring and appointment availability are not outlined with this product. And, would that testing time have to be after midnight PST San Francisco time (as opposed to my home time - CST)? We have such a short time window to get this done (a couple of hours) before we have to leave our home for the airport on our travel day. I would just hate to fly to San Fran and then find out we're positive...thanks much for any clarity!

7 minutes ago, txcruiser1234 said:

We are now in the exact same situation. Quick question as we have never home tested:

I am looking online at this product: Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services for Travel - 2 Pack

Mentioned above is a 4AM test. Is this kind of proctoring generally available 24/7? The hours of proctoring and appointment availability are not outlined with this product. And, would that testing time have to be after midnight PST San Francisco time (as opposed to my home time - CST)? We have such a short time window to get this done (a couple of hours) before we have to leave our home for the airport on our travel day. I would just hate to fly to San Fran and then find out we're positive...thanks much for any clarity!

I’m not sure about that particular product, but it MAY no longer be necessary to test early Saturday for some of us. John Heald.just posted an update that Carnival is following the Canadian requirements and allowing those who have had a booster to have an NAAT / PCR test 72 hours prior to boarding.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

I’m not sure about that particular product, but it MAY no longer be necessary to test early Saturday for some of us. John Heald.just posted an update that Carnival is following the Canadian requirements and allowing those who have had a booster to have an NAAT / PCR test 72 hours prior to boarding.

👍

and ArriveCAN is required. 
8996BFA0-5907-428D-8049-B847FCBE5814.thumb.png.024abdaa0663fb48c82c6a4b420ce6ee.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Thanks very much for that info. I guess I'll wait for the updated terms to become Carnival-official in their next COVID regs update. Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

👍

and ArriveCAN is required. 

Yes. Several of us on these boards have been saying this for a while. Not sure why Carnival took so long to get in the same page as everyone else.

1 minute ago, JT1962 said:

Yes. Several of us on these boards have been saying this for a while. Not sure why Carnival took so long to get in the same page as everyone else.

It was odd they wouldn’t. He consistently posted that they were “working on it”. I saw one post that said they weren’t told it was required. 

3 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

It was odd they wouldn’t. He consistently posted that they were “working on it”. I saw one post that said they weren’t told it was required. 

Their sister lines Princess & Holland America have had the requirements posted for a while. I know each of the lines operates supposedly independently, but you would think they would communicate on things such as what is required for specific countries. 

2 hours ago, 1kaper said:

Exactly.  

They specifically say you need to test 2 days before embarkation.  They do not give the option to take a PCR or NAAT 3 days before.  

For regular sailing they do not make a distinction between PCR and Antigen  and testing time frame.  It's test 3 days before if eligible, if not test 2.  Doesn't matter if you are doing NAAT, PCR, or antigen.  

I've been following this and John's response to people's questions and it is clear at this point they are only accepting testing 2 days before, regardless of test type. 

In the end, it's your cruise.  Do as you wish.  

Thought so.  That is why I brought up the question about the different tests.  I guess it wasn't clearly stated.  Glad I have a Friday test for my Monday cruise.  ✌️

On 4/20/2022 at 4:55 PM, JT1962 said:

Why don’t you just take the test after the flight??

6 hours ago, ilovesparky13 said:

Why don’t you just take the test after the flight??

I do not want to fly 5 hours to find out I test positive and have to either stay 10 days in Seattle until my return flight or pay several hundred dollars to change my return flight to an earlier date.

But that is no longer an issue since Carnival finally agreed to go by Canada’s rules and I can take a PCR / NAAT test 72 hours prior to boarding, so I am testing at Walgreen’s’s at 2:00 PM on Friday,

On 4/20/2022 at 12:23 PM, JT1962 said:

I am in discussions with my Carnival PVP currently. No one at Carnival seems to know the actual rules (or about ArriveCAN which is a whole different issue). They seem unprepared for the Alaska cruises.

Canadian rules say 2 days for Antigen (any time that day, not just 48 hours), but they say 72 actual hours for Molecular Test (NAAT / PCR). I board on Monday 11:00 - 11:30 AM Pacific time,  so I had planned a NAAT test after 2:00 PM Central time (where I live) on Friday to be covered. Now Carnival is saying 2 days for an Antigen test, but does not mention anything about NAAT / PCR tests. I fly to Seattle early Saturday morning and want to have my negative test before leaving so I don’t have to test in Seattle and find out I an positive and be stuck quarantining there. It’s very frustrating to still have these differing requirements 12 days before boarding. 

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

A4E5EE42-185B-4D9B-AAD7-9BB25F850C53.png