What to spend OBC on when on board?

davwen81

We have just found out there has been a major change to our itinerary for our Kimberley cruise. Because of this, we have been given a large OBC of 300€  which added to OBC we had been given by our TA leaves us wondering what on earth we can spend it on on board Le Soleal. We can spend a small amount on an excursion at the Horizontal Falls but that’s our only excursion option now, so what else is there? Can we cash it in on board somehow? 
Any advice gladly received, 

• Like 1

Some ideas:

- Spa treatments could be 100 euros / hour: https://en.calameo.com/read/0001324235c6fa2d93d50

- Boutique has lots of Ponant logo wear at prices up to the hundreds of euros.

- Upgraded alcohol 20 euros / person / day: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2795048-all-about-the-pass-bar-premium-the-premium-drinks-package/#comment-61605807

- Wine / Champagne by the bottle & high-end spirits

- Caviar

• Like 2

13 hours ago, davwen81 said:

We have just found out there has been a major change to our itinerary for our Kimberley cruise. Because of this, we have been given a large OBC of 300€  which added to OBC we had been given by our TA leaves us wondering what on earth we can spend it on on board Le Soleal. We can spend a small amount on an excursion at the Horizontal Falls but that’s our only excursion option now, so what else is there? Can we cash it in on board somehow? 
Any advice gladly received, 

Wendy, Can I ask you what the change was?

I read on FB that it was change for the better?

We had the Kimberleys booked last year but of course was cancelled, and currently looking at rebooking for 2024 when released.

PS we also have €350pp OBC from a 2019 cancelled cruise that we keep rolling over (along with multiple discounts), and plan to spend in the Spa and shop, (if we ever get on a ship!) as like you there are no excursions that need to be bought due to booking expeditions.

Yes, sure this is what Ponant wrote 

To maintain our international voyage status, the Australian Border Force (ABF) requires vessels to land at an international location to meet customs’ requirements. Due to these regulations of entry and to maintain our covid protocol plan, it is no longer permissible to sail to the international port of Pulau Meatimiarang in Indonesia, between Darwin and Wyndham to conduct clearance procedures. We therefore are forced to alter our Darwin to Broome itinerary to comply with these revised Federal Government regulations. 

So we are not going to Wyndham where all their land based excursions went from, (Bungle Bungles, Ord River, El Questro) but instead are going to Ashmore reef ( to fulfil the above BF obligations) and Careening Bay,  so it will now be a full 10 day itinerary with no sea day and  we got €300 compensation. 

2 hours ago, gogo65 said:

PS we also have €350pp OBC from a 2019 cancelled cruise that we keep rolling over (along with multiple discounts), and plan to spend in the Spa and shop, (if we ever get on a ship!) as like you there are no excursions that need to be bought due to booking expeditions.

And that’s my concern also, as we already have a $600 OBC from our TA! Not interested in buying drink packages, and other than the Horizontal Falls extra excursion, there’s not a lot we’d want. I guess I’ll have to spend time in the spa and upgrade some cocktails!  What things do they sell on Ponant, as I thought it was just Ponant signature stuff, and that doesn’t interest us. Thanks for both your inputs. 

6 hours ago, davwen81 said:

Yes, sure this is what Ponant wrote 

To maintain our international voyage status, the Australian Border Force (ABF) requires vessels to land at an international location to meet customs’ requirements. Due to these regulations of entry and to maintain our covid protocol plan, it is no longer permissible to sail to the international port of Pulau Meatimiarang in Indonesia, between Darwin and Wyndham to conduct clearance procedures. We therefore are forced to alter our Darwin to Broome itinerary to comply with these revised Federal Government regulations. 

So we are not going to Wyndham where all their land based excursions went from, (Bungle Bungles, Ord River, El Questro) but instead are going to Ashmore reef ( to fulfil the above BF obligations) and Careening Bay,  so it will now be a full 10 day itinerary with no sea day and  we got €300 compensation. 

So does that mean you miss out on the land excursions (Bungle Bungles etc) completely?

The trip we had booked in 2021 was Broome to Darwin and it didn’t have the Indonesia stop, but it seemed the Darwin- Broome always did.

I was last on Ponant on 2017 so can’t remember very well, but I’m sure there were a few things in the store besides Ponant branded things, handbags, perfume, skin care etc…

Thanks guys for your replies, feeling more comfortable about being able to spend our OBC now, lol! 

I think Ashmore Reef will be stunning, and we had decided that a land based trip between Darwin/Broome was also needed to see this area fully, and that’s now doubly true. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 9:38 AM, EnidSooner said:

Are you on the May 8, 2022 sailing with A&K?  No communication from them cancelling excursions.  I hope not, that would be very disappointing.  Looking forward to our first trip down under!

We’re on the May 8 sailing, after doing the NingalooReef pre-trip. Are we sure the Bungle Bungles are canceled? That is not what is reflected in the latest itinerary we received from A&K. 

On 4/22/2022 at 2:08 AM, EnidSooner said:

Are you on the May 8, 2022 sailing with A&K?  No communication from them cancelling excursions.  I hope not, that would be very disappointing.  Looking forward to our first trip down under!

No Enid we are on 27 July sailing Darwin to Broome with Ponant. The only excursion offered now is Horizontal Falls, as we no longer stop in Wyndham, making all the other excursions obsolete. However, Ashmore reef is a world heritage listed area and will provide an amazing day off the ship. 

Edited by davwen81

• 4 months later...

I did Darwin to Broome on Le Laperouse in August.  Gorgeous cruise, weather and scenery.  As well as the change of itinerary to Ashmore Reef, the Horizontal Falls transit was also cancelled for us, due to the accident there a month or so before.  About E100 OBC or a cash refund for that.  Its running again now but I'm not sure if Ponant are re-including it in the itinerary yet.

The big item that can happily consume OBCs on this cruise is the helicopter trip & back to the Mitchell Falls from the stop at the Hunter River.  A$800 approx; 20 mins there and back, great views on the way and a nice excursion at the Falls.  You can either book it before the cruise, or on board, although the latter is subject to capacity.

A TIP for anyone contemplating this cruise.  Check the tide and/or the phase of the moon.  If there is a full moon during the cruise, the tides will be largest and your experience the better.

• Thanks 1