Haugesund and Pulpit Rock

tatabea

We will be docking in Haugesund which I know is near Pulpit Rock, but the rock is nearer to (I think) Stavanger, which is not in the itinerary.

Anyway, I’ve been looking for a boat excursion from Haugesund up the fjord to see, not hike, Pulpit Rock. Does anyone have experience doing this? I’ve looked online exhaustively with no luck.

To be honest, in my humble opinion, the view of Pulpit Rock from below isn’t all that remarkable.  You can’t really even see anything that makes you know you have obviously seen it.  It is just part of a massive wall of rock — just like the rest of the massive wall of rock you’ve been seeing as you navigate the Lysefjord.  

Don’t get me wrong, a boat trip on the Lysefjord was very memorable and enjoyable for me.  Even the massive rock walls.  I loved the day.  But not because you can see Pulpit Rock from below.  

I’m sure their must be good excursions closer to your port. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/21/2022 at 11:40 AM, tatabea said:

We will be docking in Haugesund which I know is near Pulpit Rock, but the rock is nearer to (I think) Stavanger, which is not in the itinerary.

Anyway, I’ve been looking for a boat excursion from Haugesund up the fjord to see, not hike, Pulpit Rock. Does anyone have experience doing this? I’ve looked online exhaustively with no luck.

I am trying just to even find transportation to the rock from the port, have you been successful?

On 4/21/2022 at 8:58 PM, MeHeartCruising said:

To be honest, in my humble opinion, the view of Pulpit Rock from below isn’t all that remarkable.  You can’t really even see anything that makes you know you have obviously seen it.  It is just part of a massive wall of rock — just like the rest of the massive wall of rock you’ve been seeing as you navigate the Lysefjord.  

Don’t get me wrong, a boat trip on the Lysefjord was very memorable and enjoyable for me.  Even the massive rock walls.  I loved the day.  But not because you can see Pulpit Rock from below.  

I’m sure their must be good excursions closer to your port. 

I agree, we took the small boat cruise on Lysefjord and the views of pulpit rock were unspectacular.  You are too close to it.  However, the boat went up close to other rock walls and crevices and that was pretty cool.   I enjoyed the day but not because of  Pulpit rock.   I am not sure I would do a 3 hour drive to see it, it depends on what excursions are available closer to your port.

• 1 month later...