Travel Insurance recommendations

TroubleT

I have used two companies.  Insuremytrip and Trip Insurance Store.  TIS gets a lot of positive reviews here, and I recommend calling them instead of chatting.  I used Insuremytrip a few times because they have an app for your phone that lets you see all your policies.  TIS is not bad because depending on the insurance company they may have their own app.  In fact, this most recent time buying from TIS, that's exactly what happened.

If you search in the forum you will see many other recommendations but as I said, TIS seems pretty popular.

Edited by zitsky

50 minutes ago, Coarsegold_Mom said:

We will most likely just be getting trip interruption insurance to cover quarantine if needed post cruise.  I have researched this.  Please let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Do you mean a separate policy that covers only trip interruption? Who sells that?

3 hours ago, TroubleT said:

Hope it's allowed to ask this question....

Please recommend Travel Insurance company for a trip besides that Celebrity offers. Need to cover "land" part of the trip.

Thanks!

Your question is rather broad. That may be why people aren’t able to give specific answers.

There are a number of reputable companies, but the policy you buy depends on your needs. It is probably a good idea to define what you want to cover by identifying your main concerns and what you expect the policy to do. 

Then call the folks at Trip Insurance Store. They can assess your situation and recommend a policy that works. It does not cost anymore to buy from a broker. 

49 minutes ago, Babr said:

Do you mean a separate policy that covers only trip interruption? Who sells that?

Actually I should have said travel delay as that is what is needed for quarantine. for $80 for my family of four.  It allows me to extend my policy for 7 days (which would be needed for quarantine) and I get $1000 per person and a $200 daily limit. So $4000 dollars total to use over 7 days.

Edited by Coarsegold_Mom

1 hour ago, TroubleT said:

USA

Given you are in the USA, I'd strongly agree with Babr's recommendation to contace

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

But please CALL them; don't rely upon the online policy summaries.  Aside from the fact that the summaries can't possibly include all the fine print (which can really matter!), that won't take into account any special concerns that YOU have.  Pre-existing medical conditions (which is usually defined for travel insurance very differently than what we usually think of)?  Elderly family members not traveling with you?  Concern about Covid quarantine costs?  Medevac?  Delays/interruptions?

But mostly, make *certain* that you have suitable coverage for medical expenses.  Medicare covers almost nothing overseas.  Some other policies aren't much better.

Losing out on your travel costs is... costly, but predictable.  Catastrophic medical costs overseas could be devastating, not to mention the type of care in the first place.

We've purchased policies from TripInsuranceStore after learning about them here on CC, and thank goodness!  They recommended that our needs/concerns would be best with a particular policy from Travel Insured.  (No extra charge to the traveler for going through a broker.). Alas, we are among those who have had several claims, including some large ones claims.  All were paid promptly, which is what matters, after all.

GC

15 hours ago, Coarsegold_Mom said:

Actually I should have said travel delay as that is what is needed for quarantine. for $80 for my family of four.  It allows me to extend my policy for 7 days (which would be needed for quarantine) and I get $1000 per person and a $200 daily limit. So $4000 dollars total to use over 7 days.

which company writes this coverage? Thanks 

29 minutes ago, Coarsegold_Mom said:

Berkshire Hathaway Travel Protection- ExactCare - I used SquareMouth to compare policies

So you are getting a comprehensive travel policy which covers a number of medical and travel risks.

All comprehensive policies have travel delay provisions. I misunderstood your initial post to mean you were getting a separate policy with only trip delay.

Edited by Babr

57 minutes ago, Babr said:

So you are getting a comprehensive travel policy which covers a number of medical and travel risks.

All comprehensive policies have travel delay provisions. I misunderstood your initial post to mean you were getting a separate policy with only trip delay.

I am not concerned about anything beyond Covid quarantine that may happen at the end of our cruise.  I do not want to incur hotel costs in Amsterdam for 4 of us for a week to 10 days.  This policy serves that purpose.  There are probably other things in it...but what I needed was a policy that could be extended in case we couldn't return home on the plane and cover my hotel costs.  Not all policies can be extended so that you are covered beyond return date.

On 4/22/2022 at 12:47 PM, Coarsegold_Mom said:

Hi Coarsegold,

> It allows me to extend my policy for 7 days (which would be needed for quarantine)

Who told you that you are allowed to extend your policy for 7 days? You can't voluntarily extend your policy.

All travel insurance policies have a benefit called "Extension of Coverage" and most plans will do this when a doctor puts you into a medical quarantine. Also, seven days isn't very long. What happens if the quarantine lasts for 10 days?

Steve Dasseos

18 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Coarsegold,

> It allows me to extend my policy for 7 days (which would be needed for quarantine)

Who told you that you are allowed to extend your policy for 7 days? You can't voluntarily extend your policy.

All travel insurance policies have a benefit called "Extension of Coverage" and most plans will do this when a doctor puts you into a medical quarantine. Also, seven days isn't very long. What happens if the quarantine lasts for 10 days?

Steve Dasseos

Hi Steve - No - not all policies have the benefit of "extension of coverage" - many I was looking at did not.  I agree 7 days is not that long, but some would only extend for 5 days while others would extend longer but their travel delay max benefit was a smaller amount.  For us, 7 days seemed like enough to cover most of our days needed for covid quarantine.  It wouldn't cover all of them but at least I would have $4000 worth covered for my $80 invested.  There are probably much better policies out there but for our price point, this was a good deal.

I'm sure we would need a Dr note to extend the coverage.  7 days is stated by the policy info below.  The policy would originally be in effect until 8/14.  It can be extended until 8/21.

image.thumb.png.329474a675d4da29b5a9076581e18321.png

Edited by Coarsegold_Mom

On 4/23/2022 at 10:17 PM, Coarsegold_Mom said:

Hi Steve - No - not all policies have the benefit of "extension of coverage" - many I was looking at did not.  I agree 7 days is not that long, but some would only extend for 5 days while others would extend longer but their travel delay max benefit was a smaller amount.  For us, 7 days seemed like enough to cover most of our days needed for covid quarantine.  It wouldn't cover all of them but at least I would have $4000 worth covered for my $80 invested.  There are probably much better policies out there but for our price point, this was a good deal.

I'm sure we would need a Dr note to extend the coverage.  7 days is stated by the policy info below.  The policy would originally be in effect until 8/14.  It can be extended until 8/21.

image.thumb.png.329474a675d4da29b5a9076581e18321.png

@coarsegold_Mom which insurance company offers this?

30 minutes ago, arl_nocaps said:

IF YOU ARE OVER 80 THE INSURANCE IS VERY, VERY EXPENSIVE.  I UNDERSTAND YOU CAN BE COVERED

WITH A  CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED CARD.  ANYONE DONE THIS ??  

arl_nocaps

The Chase Sapphire Preferred card will not cover cancellation related to pre-existing conditions. Be sure you understand that term and whether it applies to you.

For the purpose of quarantine expenses, know that the Trip Interruption provision pays for prepaid nonrefundable expenses, such as any unused days of your trip, but it does not pay for return transportation as a comprehensive travel policy will.

The Trip Delay provision, which is the part that would pay for hotel and meals in a comprehensive policy, pays only $500 for common carrier delay in the Chase coverage.

In other words, it is close to useless for anyone hoping to use it as protection for quarantine expenses. 

It offers no medical coverage. You’d have to rely on any existing coverage you have besides Medicare.