At Your Leisure

We're relative newbies, so maybe someone can help with this. We're comparing a few excursions to Dunn's River Falls that are offered through RCCL. We don't feel comfortable booking through a private guide.

Two of the offerings include the Falls and Dolphin Cove. They seem very similar, but the duration of one is listed as 3-1/2 hours while the other says, "at your leisure." Any advantage to doing one over the other? About how long does it take to climb the Falls? One says that you're at the Falls for about an hour an a half; the other doesn't. Does "at your leisure" mean that you can come and go as you please the whole time?

Also, there's another excursion that's just a cruise to the Falls (the dolphins aren't a deal breaker with us). My concern is that it might be a bit of a "party boat," and we'll have our teen with us.

Can anyone out there give us a little guidance?

I'm not sure about the excursions but the cruise to the falls likely will be a bit of a party boat. They're usually pretty tame though (mainly because they often leave at 8:30am). I wouldn't worry at all about taking a teen on it.

Hi Anne - Just curious: why the lack of comfort with the private tour?

Jamaica makes us a little antsy. We've never been, but some folks we know felt very hassled by aggressive vendors, panhandlers, etc. I guess we just feel more comfortable in a group.

Jamaica makes us a little antsy. We've never been, but some folks we know felt very hassled by aggressive vendors, panhandlers, etc. I guess we just feel more comfortable in a group.

totally understand. appreciate your candor. in my experience, the private tours are excellent, but you have to do what makes you comfortable.

I am not familiar with the specific tours you mention, but IMO, the key to the falls is arriving early. You'll generally have a better time. I'd say its about 2 hours to get there, climb the falls, and get back, provided things arent crazy there.

Never been to Dolphin Cove, but it looks like a bit of a way to extend your trip and charge you more $$$.

The 2 D Cove trips seem very similar; I dont know what accounts for the minor price difference. It just looks like they use D Cove as a staging area to run shuttle buses of folks back to the ship.

There are a few cruise / falls excursions. "Reggae Baby Party Boat" is definitely for those wanting a good time with their falls. "San San Luxury Yacht" is a little nicer (and more pricey), and the "party" element will depend on your shipmates. Its a nice way to get a sea experience into your cruise.

Check peattaylor.com and shoretrips.com for more info and possible private alternatives. I've used shoretrips a lot with great success, and folks swear by peat taylor.

Hope that helps.

We did the party boat to the falls only because we wanted to be on the water. The only reason I think they call it a party boat is because they serve an alcoholic drink after the falls climb and they have music playing but it was really calm. Not being a drinker, I took the soda they offered. Your teen will be fine. I always book my excursions throught the ship in Jamaica only for safety reasons and to avoid the aggresive vendors. My husband was approached by a man selling drugs when we went off by ourselves. Never again.

The at your leisure gets you back to the ship in time for another excursion should you decide to do one. You will need to check with the shore excursions desk on the ship to ensure you have time to do more than one excursion though since sometimes the times are a little tight.:eek:

Sound like the one that says "at your leisure" you would have to obtain your own transportation. I'm with you-- If I'm going to pay for an excursion, rather than just wandering about on my own, I want the cruise line to be responsible for my getting back to the ship in time! If we're docked for the entire day, we'll go on our own.

I did the "at your leisure" excursion last march. It means that you can go at anytime of day you would like, and stay as long as you would like. They do provide transportation, they have several busses that run back and forth. Dolphin Cove was absolutely nothing to get excited about, just a couple of dolphins swimming around in a pond. When we were there, they kept announcing that they would be preforming a show, but it never happened, so we gave up and left. The Falls are great though, don't want to miss them. Be aware of vendors on your way out, just keep walking!

Archived