Renting a car in Skagway?

CONCH65

We are toying with the idea of renting a car while in Skagway as our ship is scheduled to be in port for 12 hours. Although car rental rates are expensive in Skagway they are certainly cheaper than many of the excursions especially when you consider the amount of hours we would have access to the car. Can anyone recommend scenic drives to take around Skagway if we do rent a car?

Rent the car!!  We did, back in 2018. Get to Avis as soon as they open.  You can drive up the Yukon Hwy. and into Canada.  Be aware that to enter Canada you will need to go online and use their ArriveCan site.  Needs to be done at least 72 hours before.  You can put most info in beforehand and finish up later.

There is a web site that has a road guide that tells you all of the sites you can see along the way.  After that, come back to town and visit stuff around the area without walking a long distance.  Have fun.  P.S.  Take your passport if you do go past the border.

Edited by Dancing Shoes

On 4/23/2022 at 2:55 PM, CONCH65 said:

We are toying with the idea of renting a car while in Skagway as our ship is scheduled to be in port for 12 hours. Although car rental rates are expensive in Skagway they are certainly cheaper than many of the excursions especially when you consider the amount of hours we would have access to the car. Can anyone recommend scenic drives to take around Skagway if we do rent a car?

I have my car rental all set up for our day in Skagway.  We went with Affordable Car Rental (Great reviews inline, FB and here).  Nils was great to communicate with.  You can pay $10 and the car will be waiting for you at port!

On 4/25/2022 at 11:24 AM, Love2travel4 said:

I have my car rental all set up for our day in Skagway.  We went with Affordable Car Rental (Great reviews inline, FB and here).  Nils was great to communicate with.  You can pay $10 and the car will be waiting for you at port!

Thanks for this information! I had looked at the Avis pricing and this is definitely more affordable AND I'd much prefer to give business to a small company like theirs. 

• Like 1

The entire highway toward Carcross and even beyond is spectacular. Highly recommend a self-guided tour with a car rental. We drove all the way to Whitehorse when we went a few years ago.

Another vote for Murray’s guide. We had a great time and even saw bears munching on dandelions by the side of the road. Also- If you haven’t encountered it- look up The Floor of Heaven- gold mining in the Skagway area. Very readable and sets the scene nicely. 

is the border open there? Might check what you would need to do to cross- another ArriveCAN perhaps. 

Edited by 5waldos

We have a car rented for August but the ArriveCAN requirements are scaring us off a bit. We need to fill out ArriveCAN before boarding in Seattle saying we’re coming into Canada by sea….yet we’ll be coming in by land earlier. I’ve been told you cant fill it out for 2 stops. Please let me know if/what you find out if you go this route. 

Thanks for the replies. We decided to just book Chilkoot Charters Yukon Klondike Bus Adventure. It's supposed to be a 6.5 hour tour that gets us as far north as Carcross, Canada and Emerald Lake. Our cruise begins 2 weeks from today and we're looking forward to it.

• Like 1