Flam railway

We are cruising on QM2 arriving in Flam on 7th Sept. We are scheduled to arrive at 7:30am and, according to Whatsinport.com, we are the only ship in that day.

I was hoping to book Flam railway tickets but the only available times are 9am and 14:10. 

Can anyone who has done this trip let me know if it is doable to book the 9am train?

My concern is if we are late arriving, or need to tender, that we will not make it in time.

Thanks

Roisin

Currently only ship in port and you will be docked (Kai) - then only a 5 minutes walk from Ship to train station. Depending on your port of call the day before a delay is not likely - In your case Stavanger - you will be sailing through a narrow fjord with very shallow water.

644796552_Skrmbillede2022-04-27kl_23_58_14.png.0cf04f23eb6762ac39a8cb532eb19807.pngI did book a 9am train when I did visit Flåm.

There might be more trains available at vy.no - Norwegian Rail web-

Edited by hallasm

13 hours ago, hallasm said:

Currently only ship in port and you will be docked (Kai) - then only a 5 minutes walk from Ship to train station. Depending on your port of call the day before a delay is not likely - In your case Stavanger - you will be sailing through a narrow fjord with very shallow water.

644796552_Skrmbillede2022-04-27kl_23_58_14.png.0cf04f23eb6762ac39a8cb532eb19807.pngI did book a 9am train when I did visit Flåm.

There might be more trains available at vy.no - Norwegian Rail web-

Thanks for this information.

I don't think you will have a problem, the train station is very close to the dock.   However, we were on the QE and had a surprising (to me at least ) docking experience.   We docked, they only let people off who had excursions through the Cunard, then they pulled back and tendered.   They had to pull back off of the dock to make room for another ship (HAL).   We had booked the train on our own and so we had to tender.   All that said, I still think you would be fine.   I would check port schedules as that date approaches to see if they add any ships to Flam that day.   BTW we took the train up and biked down, it was an awesome bike ride down.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CCJack said:

I would check port schedules as that date approaches to see if they add any ships to Flam that day. 

That information available in post #2 - can change but not likely by now.

Edited by hallasm

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 9:05 PM, CCJack said:

I don't think you will have a problem, the train station is very close to the dock.   However, we were on the QE and had a surprising (to me at least ) docking experience.   We docked, they only let people off who had excursions through the Cunard, then they pulled back and tendered.   They had to pull back off of the dock to make room for another ship (HAL).   We had booked the train on our own and so we had to tender.   All that said, I still think you would be fine.   I would check port schedules as that date approaches to see if they add any ships to Flam that day.   BTW we took the train up and biked down, it was an awesome bike ride down.

On 5/2/2022 at 9:05 PM, CCJack said:

Did you book this on your own or did you book a tour? How did you get the bikes?

On 5/22/2022 at 1:29 PM, hallasm said:

@UofMcruiser Assuming  you’re answering about bike rental in Myrdal when taking the train from Flåm to Myrdal and the a downhill bike ride.

Cafe Rallarens bike rental at Myrdal station offer bike rentals from June 01. to september 30. 2022 

Yes, we booked train and bikes on our own.   Bikes through Cafe Rallarens as UofMcruiser states.    This day was a really beautiful ride down the mountain.   We also had exceptionally good weather, however.    Note that the first portion of the biking is somewhat difficult I found even for experienced bikers.   Large rock gravel, etc.   Most people walked their bikes initially, however, that was only for 30 min or so, then it gets smoother and smoother as you go (packed gravel or ashphalt path).   And of course it is almost all downhill, so it is not strenuous.