Sorrento Excursions (Marella Cruises): Positano or Amalfi

jack10952

Hi

I'm scheduled to stop at Sorrento on my forthcoming cruise, having already docked at Naples a few years ago I've already visited Sorrento itself and Pompeii.   Looking at what Marella are offering I'm undecided between a boat tour to Positano or bus tour to Amalfi.   It's a shame that they don't provide a tour that would take me to both.   Any one had any experience of either of these tours with Marella or what provider they use?  As usual the description of the tours on the Marella cruise's is very brief.

What would people who been to both places recommend.   Both offer breathtaking views and I would sway towards Positano myself as I'm would think the scenery cruising on a boat would outdo these from the land on bus.  I also believe (could be wrong) but the postcard view of the houses on the cliff is of Positano?

I'm also aware I could book my own tour and take in both places but as its a cruise I like the security that if you book through the cruise provider, the ship wont go with out lol.

Not familiar with Marella Cruises however, we've been to all three places you mention. Twice to Sorrento and to Positano.  If you are choosing between Positano and Amalfi, our vote would be Positano (it rivals Oia in Santorini IMO).  On our last visit, the ship docked at Amalfi and we took the ferry to Positano (recall about 25 minutes) and spent a delightful day on our own in Positano. Going by ferry you avoid the heavy traffic on the roads to Positano; expect there is ferry service between Sorrento and Positano though it will be probably be a longer trip should you want to go on your own.

11 hours ago, jack10952 said:

11hrs I believe

A few years ago we were on a Celebrity cruise that stopped in Salerno.  I started a shared tour that went to Sorrento, Positano and Ravello. The tour company was Italytoursharing.  We also were taken to lunch in Positano.  I believe the entire tour was almost 8 hrs.  We all had a wonderful time on the Amalfi coast!

Thanks for the input all.  I've decided to go ahead with the boat trip to Positano.  I was swaying towards that anyway and the input on here has confirmed my decision.

I will to a quick review once I've been on the cruise and done the tour, just in case anyone is looking in future.

• 1 month later...

Ok, back from from my cruise.   

This excursion left a few people disappointed with the mode of transportation as it was the local fast ferries.   Not exactly the "dreaming by boat" as Marella describe the trip.   As its the ferry used obviously there are locals and other tourists on board.   Due to this quite a lot of the people on the trip didn't have fantastic views on route as the only seats available to them on the ferry were on the bottom deck and middle rows of the ship.    Basically you are paying for the ferry service to Positano, nothing extra.

Positano itself was breathtaking

Glad Positano lived up to your expectations.

I know that DIY isn't for everyone and really, that helps those of us who do like it.  The folks who use cruise excursions help the bottom line of the cruise company, which keeps cruising affordable.  Usually, unlike this situation, cruise excursion passengers use private transportation leaving more room on public transit for us DIYers, so the whole eco-system works.

It is a very personal assessment of risks, benefits and tradeoffs.  

Given what you know now, would you do anything differently?  Although the ferry trip wasn't ideal, it sounds like the day overall met your expectations.

Euro Cruiser

I probably wouldn't do anything any differently TBH I think the description of the excursion is very misleading.  Most on the trip were expecting us to be on a private open deck boat, so that everyone could enjoy the views when sailing down to Positano and back.   If they mentioned the use of the fast ferries I wouldn't be put off but I know more of what to expect.  I did manage to get on the top deck on the return trip so I did enjoy the views without any obstructions.  As mentioned Positano did live up to the expectations.  We had around 5 hours there in total, so we had plenty time to take in the views from the higher ground, explore, have a little nose in the shops and grab a nice meal at one of the restaurants.

I suppose another positive going through Marella was that you have priority boarding of the tenders to shore if you are on Marella booked excursion.   So if we did go independently, we may have had less time ashore but we were last excursion of the ship after meeting in the Broadway lounge.So I guessing those who were going ashore independently wouldn't have been far behind us anyway.