Labadee? Is this a fun island?

MsKatee

I did not have a Coco Loco but I wished I had. I have to remember to get one this time around. My friend looked like he was having way too much fun with them. I think it is a frozen drink and it comes in a tall plastic "glass" with a cover and straw. Do not remember how much they were but they were selling them quite fast.

Excursions are a double edged sword: they are good to do at Laba b/c it's very easy (logisitics-wise), the excursions are of good, reputable quality, and it helps pass the day b/c it's not like you can grab a cab and see the rest of the island. :) The downside is that they are a bit pricier than in other ports. My recommendation: if there's something you're dying to do, and don't mind spending a few extra $, do it in Labadee so you are not disappointed. If you're flexible, then do some research on your excurison of choice and see if it's offered elsewhere and for how much.

Thanks so much for the info! I'll do some more research as it gets closer.

What is the Coco Loco?

1 oz dark rum

1 oz light rum

1/2 oz vodka

1/2 oz creme de bananes

1/2 oz pineapple juice

1/2 oz coconut cream

1/2 oz sugar syrup

Pour the rums, vodka, creme de bananes, pineapple juice, coconut cream and sugar syrup into a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice cubes. Shake well, and strain into a chilled highball glass. Garnish with a pineapple wedge, and serve.

Serve in: Highball Glass

9.0 / 10

25.0% (50 proof)

300 calories

20.80 carbohydrates

1 oz dark rum

1 oz light rum

1/2 oz vodka

1/2 oz creme de bananes

1/2 oz pineapple juice

1/2 oz coconut cream

1/2 oz sugar syrup

Pour the rums, vodka, creme de bananes, pineapple juice, coconut cream and sugar syrup into a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice cubes. Shake well, and strain into a chilled highball glass. Garnish with a pineapple wedge, and serve.

Serve in: Highball Glass

9.0 / 10

25.0% (50 proof)

300 calories

20.80 carbohydrates

Wow, sounds great. Thanks for the info. I hoist one in your honor.

I'm going on a 9 nighter on Explorer in late July. Can someone please elaborate about the things to do on Labadee. Someone mentioned parasailing, banana boats, etc. Do you have a price list for these thing or are they included? Also, is there a bar-b-que or other food service on the beach?

thanks.

nick

I'm going on a 9 nighter on Explorer in late July. Can someone please elaborate about the things to do on Labadee. Someone mentioned parasailing, banana boats, etc. Do you have a price list for these thing or are they included? Also, is there a bar-b-que or other food service on the beach?

thanks.

nick

Labadee is completely controlled by Royal Caribbean. Any money you spend (other than in the marketplace or tipping the guy who got you a good lounge chair) will be put on your seapass card. Therefore, all Coco Locos, sodas, etc., will go on your seapass card. If you have a soda sticker, that works on Labadee.

All excursions must be booked through Royal Caribbean. Go to their excursion site under Labadee and you will see what is offered. You can wait and book at least some of the excursions on Labadee when you get there (such as the water park, the water slide, Luc's Splash Bash, maybe others) if there is availability. Again, these will go on your seapass card.

The barbecue lunch is set up at I believe three different locations and is included, meaning you pay nothing extra for it.

Lucky you!!

It isn't one of my favorite stops as it is just a forced beach day. I can walk down the street and go to the beach any day during the summer. I prefer other ports as folks who want to go to the beach have the option to do so and those who do not want to go to the beach have the option to do other things.

I am willing to take my chances with the jellyfish, but sea snakes? :eek:

Excursions are a double edged sword: they are good to do at Laba b/c it's very easy (logisitics-wise), the excursions are of good, reputable quality, and it helps pass the day b/c it's not like you can grab a cab and see the rest of the island. :) The downside is that they are a bit pricier than in other ports. My recommendation: if there's something you're dying to do, and don't mind spending a few extra $, do it in Labadee so you are not disappointed. If you're flexible, then do some research on your excurison of choice and see if it's offered elsewhere and for how much.

As far as the sealife, RCI will warn you about jellyfish, sea snakes, sea spiders, urchins, assorted dragons, monsters and the like, but generally, you will not have a problem. Some times of the year and some beaches are more susceptible than others. Just keep your eyes open and listen to any announcements / info RCI may offer.

But I do think Laba makes a great ship day. The only problem with that is lunch; on my recent Voayger cruises, they close the Jammer and JRs, so you have to go to the dining room. :(

We loved Labadee. I'm a total beach nut and my fiance is not. But, there were plenty of palm trees and shade for him - and lots of water and sand for me. The food is pretty traditional BBQ - nothing exciting but certainly nice enough.

The island locals selling crafts was cool. Got a great handmade chess set and a small bowl. They weren't overly pushy (not any more pushy than most ports anyway).

Also, I *love* Coco Locos!! I hadn't had one in a few years, but they tasted every bit as good as I remembered. Had one on the beach and got one for the tender ride back to the ship ("I may get too thirsty waiting on line!" LOL). The last one was filled with about 2 inches of rum.

I took a nice long nap that afternoon. :D

Archived