First day bookings on QV

iandjm

Hi

I have just tried to book on the maiden voyage on QV.It went on sale at 10:00, at 10:01 it was sold out! I believe there was not one single place available for booking today, due to pre registrations. I find it very misleading to be sent a brochure telling me when I can as a World club member book the cruise, yet Cunard already know they are fully booked. I am appalled that this sort of practice goes on and will never book on any Carnival group ships again.

Ian

Hi

I have just tried to book on the maiden voyage on QV.It went on sale at 10:00, at 10:01 it was sold out! I believe there was not one single place available for booking today, due to pre registrations. I find it very misleading to be sent a brochure telling me when I can as a World club member book the cruise, yet Cunard already know they are fully booked. I am appalled that this sort of practice goes on and will never book on any Carnival group ships again.

Ian

THATS CUNARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You want to hear a bunch of screaming angry comments- Try mentioning attempting to buy tickets to a popular rock show when they go on sale. At least we are not competing with Cunard giving away all of the "good seats" (Cabins) to business contacts of the sponsor, who hate cruising and either aren't really interested (I.E. talk through the show) or don't even bother to show up at all!

At least the reason it is sold out is that so many repeat cruisers and long time Cunard passengers have pre-booked by paying long before they knew for sure she would ever be built, much less what she would look like when she's done!

Keep your chin up and keep trying. Some folks may change their mind or be unable to go. When final payment time rolls around, there may be additional cabins open up. I don't know if they are taking a wait-list at all, I would try calling the World Club Desk as your most likely chance of getting answers there.

Who knows- It might be like the big refit on the QE2 where they had to cancel a couple of cruises because she wasn't ready (and even when she sailed, they were still working on her during the cruise- explodiing toilets and all!)

Karie,

Who hasn't won the lotto this week, so didn't even try to book-... even if they had allowed Americans to book.

The sailing is not sold out. All categories are presently on waitlist. I should think rez is busy loading the pre-deposits. Pax had until 2/24 to tell Cunard if they wanted to exercise their deposit option or not. Considering the maiden is now a blustery, cold Christmas market sailing and not a transatlantic, I think it is only fair to let the deposit "dust" settle, first.

It is far from sold out. Just PR at this point. Don't worry. Many deals are yet to be had. You will make out in the long run, money wise, if you wait until the maiden voyage sets sail. Try and be patient. What you will end up paying will tick those off that have already paid.

We travelled with Princess at Christmas and attempted to re-book for this Christmas only to be told there were plenty of cabins available but no flights. As a European customer we have to book through the UK which includes the flight.

We were told that we could make our own travel arrangements to join the ship but would still have to pay the full price. I sometimes think these companies believe we were born yesterday:eek:

We had a call on Thursday offering a cabin, and another today saying none available except one at twice the price quoted on Thurs. Having read this board and the tething troubles with maiden voyages we decided against.

As I recall the QM2's maiden voyage was also "sold out". Miraculously there was space to be had even weeks before the voyage. Mind you not a huge selection, but space none the less. I have not doubt the same will prove true with QV, but probably even more so. She is after all, no QM2 or QE2.

Ernie

Assuming, for a moment, that you are right and that she is sold out.

Isn't it fair that those who put real money down a long time ago have some sort of priority?

When Cunard arranged for the brochure to be sent - some weeks ago I would imagine given the schedules these things have - how would they know how many would take up the option that they had reserved?

You seem happy with the idea that you have priority as a world club member - how many non world club members do you think will have put money down for the QV? And in any case, is it "fair" that you should get an option before Joe Public? Of course it is - just as it is fair for those who have pre-reserved.

On a quite separate note I think you would be wise to think about the prospect of a cruise on the North Sea in December.

iandjm,

From your list of cruises (if it is a complete list), you have only been on Celebrity which is part of RCI. So one little instance will prevent you from trying any lines within Carnival?

I agree with the others, rooms will open up if you keep watch. But if you haven't tried any of the other lines within Carnival, don't limit yourself because of one perceived slight. Life is too short so enjoy it on QM2, QE2, QV, Crystal , Seabourne, Holland America, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have been on 19 P&O cruises, several on Princess and 2 on Cunard so far. I only list the Celebrity ones on my postings these days

Cunard have not even bothered replying to my email. All I have so far is a "we have passed on you mail to the Passenger relations" email

Ian

I don't really have an opinion re: Carnival etc. Have only sailed on QE2 or QM2 (maiden and transatlantic last fall). However, I am extremely disappointed in the booking for QV maiden voyage. I was on the maiden QM2 and put down a deposit on the maiden QV. Assured by onboard booking staff that I would be on that voyage as long as I put my money on the table now (2004).

Since then, I received one or two letters re: the delays for QV. I NEVER was contacted by Cunard/Carnival re: booking the QV maiden. No email, no letter, no brochure, no telephone message, no contact with my travel agent @ Amex Plat. I only found out that the maiden was booking because I came onto these boards. I emailed Cunard. 2 weeks later their rep called and I was basically told that I would have to prove that I had pre-registered and that IF my pre-registration was valid they might be able to wait list me!

I am booked on QM2 this fall but thinking of cancelling. Is this how they reward loyal customers? Any suggestions on what rate of interest and damages I should ask my attorney to demand from Cunard for the "misplaced" deposit?

I don't really have an opinion re: Carnival etc. Have only sailed on QE2 or QM2 (maiden and transatlantic last fall). However, I am extremely disappointed in the booking for QV maiden voyage. I was on the maiden QM2 and put down a deposit on the maiden QV. Assured by onboard booking staff that I would be on that voyage as long as I put my money on the table now (2004).

Since then, I received one or two letters re: the delays for QV. I NEVER was contacted by Cunard/Carnival re: booking the QV maiden. No email, no letter, no brochure, no telephone message, no contact with my travel agent @ Amex Plat. I only found out that the maiden was booking because I came onto these boards. I emailed Cunard. 2 weeks later their rep called and I was basically told that I would have to prove that I had pre-registered and that IF my pre-registration was valid they might be able to wait list me!

I am booked on QM2 this fall but thinking of cancelling. Is this how they reward loyal customers? Any suggestions on what rate of interest and damages I should ask my attorney to demand from Cunard for the misplaced deposit?

We put our deposit down on the tandem crossing too. We were on the QE2 - perhaps that explains the priority? We have received the brochure, although it was sent to a previous address, and have now been allocated a Q3 cabin, which was exactly what we requested.

We haven't had our invoice yet, so haven't finally decided one way or another as to whether we exercise the option or not!

How did you pay? Check? Credit Card? Onboard account? cash?

Of course, credit card is the best bet, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Good luck, but it sounds as thought being on the maiden QV is nothing to write home about other than it just being a maiden voyage.

Still, it is distrubing how Cunard treats its long-time customers

Karie,

Who just doesn't understand all this. Customer service is not rocket science. Mostly, it's communicating.

Archived