Heraklion, Crete: A Shining Star in this Dark World

cashmeremypuppydog

While planning our Mediterranean cruise, I contacted Stagakis Gran Prestige (SGP) Travel Services. Kostas informed me he was already booked but he also graciously offered to help me in any way. Usually, it should have been the end to a story like this one but not in this case.

The next day, I asked Kostas a general question about public transportation to a winery.  He answered back right away and during the next few days, several emails were sent back and forth. Kostas even took his time making detailed maps so we could enjoy downtown Heraklion after visiting the Palace and the wine tasting.

Through him, I found 2 drivers to drive us during our limited time in Heraklion.

Finally, Kostas instructed me to stop at a shop where a ‘gift’ would be waiting for me.

In April 2022, our cruise ship finally docked in Heraklion. We met our driver and I asked if Kostas was around so I could meet him. I was in luck and briefly thanked him for his generosity of time 😇 and unselfishness.

Our driver knew he had to briefly stop at a specific store for me to pick up my 'gift’. I was expecting a small token of friendship but was mortified when the clerk presented me with 3 boxes of delicatessen of Crete. I was so ashamed of myself as I had not brought a gift!

I can tell you Kostas is a special man. A beautiful man, inside and out! In this world of darkness, he is a shining star. It is so great to meet human beings like him. He made our day and our cruise…. We sampled all goodies with our friends and they were VERY good. I hope we can come back to Crete and us having a surprise for him. Time will tell…

The Canadians!😎

P.S. I had posted the maps on our roll call so many cruisers were using "Kostas maps"!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, cashmeremypuppydog said:

While planning our Mediterranean cruise, I contacted Stagakis Gran Prestige (SGP) Travel Services. Kostas informed me he was already booked but he also graciously offered to help me in any way. Usually, it should have been the end to a story like this one but not in this case.

The next day, I asked Kostas a general question about public transportation to a winery.  He answered back right away and during the next few days, several emails were sent back and forth. Kostas even took his time making detailed maps so we could enjoy downtown Heraklion after visiting the Palace and the wine tasting.

Through him, I found 2 drivers to drive us during our limited time in Heraklion.

Finally, Kostas instructed me to stop at a shop where a ‘gift’ would be waiting for me.

In April 2022, our cruise ship finally docked in Heraklion. We met our driver and I asked if Kostas was around so I could meet him. I was in luck and briefly thanked him for his generosity of time 😇 and unselfishness.

Our driver knew he had to briefly stop at a specific store for me to pick up my 'gift’. I was expecting a small token of friendship but was mortified when the clerk presented me with 3 boxes of delicatessen of Crete. I was so ashamed of myself as I had not brought a gift!

I can tell you Kostas is a special man. A beautiful man, inside and out! In this world of darkness, he is a shining star. It is so great to meet human beings like him. He made our day and our cruise…. We sampled all goodies with our friends and they were VERY good. I hope we can come back to Crete and us having a surprise for him. Time will tell…

The Canadians!😎

P.S. I had posted the maps on our roll call so many cruisers were using "Kostas maps"!

Any chance you can post the maps here?

Hello all,

I looked back at my posts and found this:

”After being dropped off at Platia Kornarou, we can be on our own to explore Heraklion. I will send you 2 documents to help you decide what you want to do.  This should take you at least 2 hours to explore and the beautiful walk is only 2 km from the port. For example: Platia Kornarou to Rocca Fortress (or Koules Fortress) is 750 m (8 min walk) and Rocca Fortress to the Port is about 1.4 km (18 min walk).

I will check if I have more info and I will post later…

The Canadians!😎

1.png

• 4 weeks later...

For you who are thinking of hiring someone in Heraklion. Here is a portion of Kosta’s last email to me. This was his reply about my comment about his passion for his.work and his courage to have changed work …

“I was teaching English. The problem was that I had stopped enjoying what I was doing, mostly because of parents’ excessive interference. Once the desire to keep doing what I was doing went away, it was time for me to move on. 

I read your lines about security and pension and I can see what the majority around me keep talking about all the time. I was lucky enough not to care about such concepts. I was never brave. It was never bravery that drove me. It was just an understanding from an early age that what I wanted was having a smile on my face just before I fell asleep. No compromises, no buts or ifs. Something messes up that rule and that is the end of it. Negativity is not for me. My body cannot tolerate or digest it.”

• 1 month later...

Imalori,

I just realized I never replied to your post as we were cruising in Alaska. I am so sorry I can not help you with cost as I was not able to hire Kostas. He was already hired that day but because of his kindness, we became friends! Please, just email him.

The Canadians!😎