Delays at Vancouver (YVR) airport - warning for anyone flying out domestic and international

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/security-yvr-delays-1.6436560

These reports are being covered by a lot of media outlets here in Vancouver.  Multiple ship days in the cruise season, even in the "Before Times", could have issues at the airport due to sheer numbers of passengers involved, this is currently complicated by staffing issues, so plan accordingly and I wouldn't recommend any early flights immediately after disembarkation, if you can possibly avoid it!

• 3 weeks later...

Even the YVR airport's website suggests arriving three hour before departure for international flights.

The problem is that Alaska Air's website states they will not accept checked bags until two hours before departure.

So what's the point of arriving early if you're just going to stand around for an hour before you can check your bags? I tried communicating with Alaska Air and nobody will actually check with the AS station manager to see if they're making an exception. They just re-state what their written policy is.

Anyone have experience with this? Is AS allowing bags to be checked earlier than two hours?

11 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Even the YVR airport's website suggests arriving three hour before departure for international flights.

The problem is that Alaska Air's website states they will not accept checked bags until two hours before departure.

So what's the point of arriving early if you're just going to stand around for an hour before you can check your bags? I tried communicating with Alaska Air and nobody will actually check with the AS station manager to see if they're making an exception. They just re-state what their written policy is.

Anyone have experience with this? Is AS allowing bags to be checked earlier than two hours?

I would go by the airport guidelines.   

The kiosks, baggage label printing, baggage drop off area and the baggage handling system are all run by the airport in Vancouver not the airlines.  There are Alaska staff there to walk people through the process and deal with any problems and exemptions, but they are using kiosks and systems run by the airport.   

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1