Juneau Mendenhall Glacier DIY suggestions

familycruzinnewbie

We will be in Juneau from 12-8pm in late July. I understand you can get a city bus to within walking distance of Mendenhall glacier. I read a trip report of someone doing West Glacier Trail which sounded quite interesting to me but I am not sure hubby would be comfortable doing it (we are both fit). We are looking at suggestions and information on what to do. We are comfortable taking public transit, if we have the info. I would consider an excursion if there was something of interest but hubby has ruled out any helicopters. 

The city bus runs once an hour. It takes 45 minutes to an hour. You pick it up either the westbound Red line or Blue line downtown and get off at Mendenhall Loop Road stop at Dredge Lake Rd. It's one and a half mile walk on a wide sidewalk to the Visitor Center. You get glimpses of the glacier along this walk. From the visitor center, the Nugget Falls trail will get you closer to the glacier. You should check out the creek boardwalk which may or may not have bear activity. There is the more rugged East Glacier trail which has higher level views of the glacier. 

Most excursions only get you to the Visitor Center, some with a restricted time frame. There are more adventurous excursions that include the West Glacier Trail or kayaks or helicopters. 

• Like 1

And once there, check if (post pandemic) they are still running ranger led walks.  We did one and there was no charge for it, but that was just luck as we checked the board and found one available shortly after we arrived at the Visitor Centre.  We were happy to have the ranger with us as there were also notifications posted about bear sightings and the ranger had the necessary sprays, just in case.

if setting off alone on a trail,before leaving the VC  you should check for any notices about bear sightings in the area you plan to walk..

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

I would simply pay a little extra to get the bus directly to the parking lot of the visitor center. Leave your walking for at the park not to get to the park.

The photo point and nugget trails are very easy walks but can't comment on the west trail.

On 5/6/2022 at 11:57 AM, J0Y0US said:

I would simply pay a little extra to get the bus directly to the parking lot of the visitor center. Leave your walking for at the park not to get to the park.

Well, it's not a "little" extra.  It's sort of a lot extra.  The bus costs about $2 pp (so $4 RT).  Admission fee is $5.  Total $9 pp.

Blue bus, if I understand it correctly, is $45 pp.  For two of us, that's $72 more.

Of course, the savings involves an approximate 3 mile walk (adding together arriving and departing).  I do that every single day on a treadmill or behind a lawn mower,  so it's not a big deal for me.  It might be for somebody else.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cowmilker said:

Well, it's not a "little" extra.  It's sort of a lot extra.  The bus costs about $2 pp (so $4 RT).  Admission fee is $5.  Total $9 pp.

Blue bus, if I understand it correctly, is $45 pp.  For two of us, that's $72 more.

Of course, the savings involves an approximate 3 mile walk (adding together arriving and departing).  I do that every single day on a treadmill or behind a lawn mower,  so it's not a big deal for me.  It might be for somebody else.

Since it's a US park, us Veterans may have our $5 admission fee waived.

For $4 round trip city bus fare, it'll take an hour each way, vs blue bus 20 minutes , so you either look at it as time wasted, or as extra scenic city tour time, or extra rest time for upcoming 3 miles "hike" in the Alaska wilderness.  Plus no blue bus scheduled pick up time constraints...

On 5/12/2022 at 2:29 PM, NavyCruiser said:

Since it's a US park, us Veterans may have our $5 admission fee waived.

For $4 round trip city bus fare, it'll take an hour each way, vs blue bus 20 minutes , so you either look at it as time wasted, or as extra scenic city tour time, or extra rest time for upcoming 3 miles "hike" in the Alaska wilderness.  Plus no blue bus scheduled pick up time constraints...

Thank you.  Good points.

If you bring your Senior citizen National Parks pass you can get into the Mendenhall visitors center at no cost. You can also use the Senior citizen National Parks pass at the Discovery Center in Ketchikan.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eaglecw said:

If you bring your Senior citizen National Parks pass you can get into the Mendenhall visitors center at no cost. You can also use the Senior citizen National Parks pass at the Discovery Center in Ketchikan.  

Great if doing the visit solo or with family -

but the Park entrance (visitors center) is included with the cruise line excursion tours.

Still yet if visiting any US National Park - bring it with you -

It may suprise you what benefits the pass may have