Stingrays and Sunscreen

momofzeke

Am I correct that you aren't supposed to wear sunscreen when you do the stingray swim? Is it ALL sunscreen or can you wear the biodegradable kind? We have the Moby Dick Tour booked, and they didn't mention anything about sunscreen. What do they do if you already have it on when you get there (put it on before you leave the cruise ship)?

You will burn to a crisp at the sandbar without a good sunscreen. We were all in the water with the stingrays and all of us had 30+ sunscreen and there was no apparent effect on the stingrays. But there would certainly be a very adverse effect on you if you decide to forgo the sunscreen.

We went with Moby Dick in Dec. We put sunscreen on during the ride over to the sandbar, while on the boat, and no one said anything to us. DW did get a small hickey from a stingray, but I did not. I think I spent more time in direct contact with them than she did.

I wouldn't think that it would make them more aggressive, but who's to say... The sun is pretty intense (and reflected off the water). I don't think I would go without sunscreen.

Either way, have an incredible time. It really is something you have to experience!!!

Some areas do ask you not to wear sunscreen. I think it is an environmental thing, to keep from polluting the water, degrading the coral, etc. I have a hard time going without sunscreen though, so suggestions of 'green' biodegradable sunscreens are appreciated!

When the sunscreen comes off, it coats the live coral just like your skin, especially the "waterproof" type, which is made to partially adhere to carbon-based cells (ie skin, as in yours and coral's). This interferes with UV light (as sunscreen is supposed to do) necessary for the photosynthesis on which coral lives, thereby weakening the coral and eventualy killing it.:(

Example of plant friendly sunscreen: monoi oil concentrated to increase the natural SPF of the plants it is derived from (no plant can take direct UV all of the time, so they all have some SPF in them).

Another option, and more effective, is a rash guard surf shirt. It will at least reduce the amount of sunscreen you will need and does a better job protecting the upper body which usually burns the worst. I won't snorkle without mine! I burned before even through a t-shirt, so going with no protection is not an option!

THANK YOU BASSETHOUND for explaining in simple language why it is important to wear biodegradable sunscreen. People rave about the snorkelling and stingrays, then think nothing of telling others to wear sunscreen which is harming, and will eventually destroy, the very thing they found so fascinating. I am sure these same people would not appreciate 100's of tourists coming to their home town daily and purposely polluting and littering the green space.

Biodegradable sunscreen is relatively easy to find in large stores and on the internet - Wal-Mart carries one by either Coppertone or Hawaiian Tropic and I have seen it in many bathing suit stores. Good suggestion about the surf shirt Ellya - I will look into getting one of these for after those times I laid out on the beach a wee bit too long but still want to go snorkelling later in the week:rolleyes:

Archived