Ex UK Cruises - Vaccination Exemption for 5-12 Year Olds - Princess Excursions only?

annarack

We booked our August 2022 cruise around the UK from Southampton back in January when Princess did not require children under 12 to be vaccinated to sail.  They then brought in a policy meaning we wouldn't be able to sail, so we cancelled a cruise for May 2022, but hung on to this August booking in the hope policy would change again before final payment date.

Thankfully the policy did change and "vaccination exemption" came into play.  We called Princess and applied for this for our children.  All looked good and we started to get excited about our trip.  Now we have seen that vaccination exemption comes with a list of terms and conditions, including the below:

You may not be permitted ashore in all ports and, if allowed, may only go ashore through shore excursions sold by or through Princess using tour operators who comply with our COVID-19 protocols. Self-exploration or participation in shore excursions not sold through or operated by Princess will not be permitted.

This states that our children will not be able to get off the ship to explore independently with us but can only take Princess excursions.  This would be totally out of budget for us as a family of 4 who had planned some pretty low key days ashore.  With 11 ports, and tours easily costing several hundred dollars per day for 4 of us, it would cost much more than the actual cruise, or we would be stuck onboard much of the time. 

We have a call on this into our travel agent to discuss as we cannot believe we will not be able to go ashore independently in our home country.  However has anyone else with unvaccinated children due to sail from Southampton seen this policy?  Or also been caught out by it?  Or managed to get a refund (not FCC or a transfer) based on this being totally impractical and different to what was originally booked?  Would love to hear other families' experiences please.

Princess is trying to manage Covid so they prevent outbreaks on board.   
so the issue isn’t so much whether or not this is your home country, but managing onboard exposure/transmission.   

I’ve seen the requirements for those with vaccine exemptions on the Princess website for quite some time, so this really isn’t a new policy.   

Looks like your choices are:

1) get the kids vaccinated 

2) follow the protocols 

3) choose a different type of vacation 

best, 

Mary

8 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

so the issue isn’t so much whether or not this is your home country, but managing onboard exposure/transmission.   

I’ve seen the requirements for those with vaccine exemptions on the Princess website for quite some time, so this really isn’t a new policy.   

2) follow the protocols 

best, 

Mary

I can’t find any mention of exemptions on the Princess website - where do I find it?

Thanks

9 hours ago, annarack said:

.Now we have seen that vaccination exemption comes with a list of terms and conditions, including the below:

You may not be permitted ashore in all ports and, if allowed, may only go ashore through shore excursions sold by or through Princess using tour operators who comply with our COVID-19 protocols. Self-exploration or participation in shore excursions not sold through or operated by Princess will not be permitted.

This is not up to Princess. What the statement is saying is that a port or country may restrict independent exploring to vaccinated passengers. This would happen no matter what cruise line was at that port that day.

And since port restrictions are constantly changing, it is impossible to know in advance what ports on any itinerary may impose these restrictions when you cruise.

Same as with masking. You may not need to on the ship, but some ports may require you wear a mask when on shore.

8 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

2) follow the protocols 

best, 

Mary

They have only just started vaccinating 11 years and under in the UK and they only get a 1/3 dose. They also have to wait 12 weeks to get the second dose or 8 weeks for special cases. So might not be possible to get vaccines in time anyway. 

42 minutes ago, Lady Meer said:

I can’t find any mention of exemptions on the Princess website - where do I find it?

This is the info we received for our upcoming cruises. I will post info in case link doesn’t work

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/uk-southampton-cruises/?accordion=covid-test-prior-to-boarding&cid=om_email_promo_internal_precruise_precruise___cruisehealth&eccn=I5X7GL45LE3ANPQHSFYCEGLFJE&rrid=8585762427&mi_u=8585762427&custId=I5X7GL45LE3ANPQHSFYCEGLFJE&mi_ecmp=

To board the ship, all guests age five and above will require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test result (PCR or antigen) taken before or at embarkation. Testing requirements are as follows:

Vaccination Status

CDC Definition

Pre-Travel Test-Type

When to Take Test Before Boarding

Fully Vaccinated

Received primary series of COVID-19 vaccines with final dose at least 14 days before embarkation

Antigen

Within 2 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Up to Date

Received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible at least 7 days before embarkation

Antigen

Within 3 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Not Vaccinated

Not fully vaccinated

PCR

Within 3 days

In accordance with health authority directives, all unvaccinated guests must follow these COVID-19 protocols:

• Show proof of a negative pre-travel COVID-19 RT-PCR test performed three days prior to sailing.
  • Have an embarkation day COVID-19 test performed at the terminal. We must provide testing information and reporting to the destinations we visit. Guests will be responsible for the cost of testing and administration in most destinations. Each test is offered at our internal cost and the number of tests required will vary by length of voyage and local requirements. 

Testing requirement

Cost per test

Charge location

Terminal COVID-19 test

$60

onboard folio

Testing on board every 4 days

$10

onboard folio

Testing required by local authorities to go ashore

$10 ($0 if part of company shore excursion)

onboard folio

Disembarkation test on board

$10

onboard folio

• You may not be permitted ashore in all ports and, if allowed, may only go ashore through shore excursions sold by or through Princess using tour operators who comply with our COVID-19 protocols. Self-exploration or participation in shore excursions not sold through or operated by Princess will not be permitted.
  • You may also be required to have a COVID-19 test performed prior to disembarkation.

If you refuse to be tested or screened or to follow COVID-19 protocols, you will be denied boarding, and no refund or credit will be issued.

Anyone who doesn’t comply with the onboard public health measures may be disembarked at the first available opportunity. Other consequences could include being denied service, required stateroom isolation and being banned from sailing in the future. If you are non-compliant, no refund of the cruise fare for unused cruise days or travel expenses (if flying home) will be covered. If your travel party is impacted and/or they are required or voluntarily choose to leave with you, the same policies will apply to them: no refund of cruise fare for unused cruise days or coverage of travel expenses home.

If you feel you need to change your plans after reading these directives for unvaccinated guests, please refer to our Book with Confidencepolicy for cancellation options.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the link Amajaa. If you look on the Govt website and enter your postcode, there are walk-in centres. I’ve checked our area and there are several today for under 11s. Maybe you will be just in time then for the 2nd dose.

I hope you get a satisfactory outcome.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lady Meer said:

Thanks for the link Amajaa. If you look on the Govt website and enter your postcode, there are walk-in centres. I’ve checked our area and there are several today for under 11s. Maybe you will be just in time then for the 2nd dose.

I hope you get a satisfactory outcome.

Thanks we have some really good walk in centres here my Husband got his spring booster just by walking into the one in town. But it’s not me taking youngsters it’s the OP -  annarack . Fortunately that is one thing we don’t have to worry about. I only knew about the vaccination info for 5-11 year olds because my son has looked into it ref taking the kids to Florida this year. 

1 minute ago, amajaa said:

Thanks we have some really good walk in centres here my Husband got his spring booster just by walking into the one in town. But it’s not me taking youngsters it’s the OP -  annarack . Fortunately that is one thing we don’t have to worry about. I only knew about the vaccination info for 5-11 year olds because my son has looked into it ref taking the kids to Florida this year. 

Oops, sorry! Bit of brain fog going on this morning!

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone, really useful to discuss.

To confirm, we are unable to get our children vaccinated in time as they have recently had covid so we can't book even the first dose yet, and would then need another 12 weeks for the second.

Yes, we would of course follow the protocols on board if we travel.  The vaccination exemption requirements are definitely new on the UK site (even flagged as such), although may well have applied to other Princess customers for longer.

It is definitely looking like we will need to book an alternative holiday this year @Mary loves to travel, hence this post and potentially seeking a refund.

I just want to get clarity on whether the statement I highlighted in my original post means our unvaccinated children definitely would not be allowed off the ship (unless on a Princess excursion), or as @caribill reads it, just that ports may stop unvaccinated passengers exploring independently.  I find the clause unclear.

I appreciate that rules are changing all the time, both at Princess (and other cruiselines) and as per regulations in each country/port.  We would totally understand if something cropped up whilst we were onboard that prevented us visiting a port, but don't want to head off on a 12 day cruise where we would not be able to get off at all as a family, or only take Princess excursions.

Really hoping to hear from other UK families with young children booked on these ex Southampton school summer holiday cruises, as I would guess there are quite a few of us...

Many thanks.

• Like 1

We are in the same situation as you, managed to get an exemption for our 11yr old but I’m totally baffled with the wording of whether we can or cannot get off the ship to self explore. It’s a crazy clause as if we had to do their excursions only, we would still come into contact with others so the risk of covid is just the same if we self explored! Hopefully someone can shed some light on this soon 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Gemmax said:

We are in the same situation as you, managed to get an exemption for our 11yr old but I’m totally baffled with the wording of whether we can or cannot get off the ship to self explore. It’s a crazy clause as if we had to do their excursions only, we would still come into contact with others so the risk of covid is just the same if we self explored! Hopefully someone can shed some light on this soon 

Thanks, glad it's not just me!  I will post any info I manage to get from our travel agent or Princess, and would appreciate it if you could do the same.  I suspect we will have to cancel but just need some clear info.  We cruised successfully with P&O from Southampton last month so not sure why this trip is looking so complicated.

• Like 2

I'm similarly confused by this.  Slightly different as our daughter is only 1 so can sail without an exemption (as kids that age can't be vaccinated) but I'm unsure if she/we will be allowed off independently or not.

To rub salt into the wound, Princess see fit to charge 100% for a 1 year old on many of their excursions, even though she wouldn't take up a seat! 

12 hours ago, annarack said:

Thanks, glad it's not just me!  I will post any info I manage to get from our travel agent or Princess, and would appreciate it if you could do the same.  I suspect we will have to cancel but just need some clear info.  We cruised successfully with P&O from Southampton last month so not sure why this trip is looking so complicated.

Will do 

image.png.d446651de1871f748e87bc06c374deea.pngWe are in the same situation with our grandchildren. The above paragraph from the guidance implies that you can go ashore and pay $10 for a test!! 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Spoke to our agent today and he thinks the wording is pretty clear that we would not be allowed off unless on an excursion.  He is therefore putting in for a full refund for us.  I will keep you updated on what happens, as I imagine everyone is receiving different answers at the moment depending who they speak to, so confusing.

We are travelling out of the UK with our 4.5 year old who is too young to be vaccinated in July.  The wording online is not very clear, but from the multiple agents we have talked to, it seems that the clause is there to warn passengers that the decision to allow passengers to go ashore rests fully with the country in question and NOT with Princess.  We clarified this with multiple agents as we made final payment yesterday.  The countries we are visiting do not have any restrictions on travel in place for unvaccinated children under 5.  We thus (currently) have no concerns about her not being able to go ashore.  That said, it is beyond Princess' control if those countries change that policy in future.  We are forging ahead with our trip for now, but did purchase princess protection in case things change. Obviously we will cancel if she cannot go ashore!  

It's so tough, isn't it.  I had also queried direct with Princess via Twitter and have just had this reply:

it really depends on the requirements of each port and those requirements are always subject to change. To be on the safe side, it is best to book a Princess excursion.

It is hard.  We'll just watch the changes carefully as we approach our departure as well as these boards for the experiences of families who sail before us.  A lot can change in 2 months.  If it is feeling too stressful with all the restrictions in place for her, we will cancel and proceed with a land-based vacation this year.   

Sending much empathy from a parent of a young one.

We are due to travel on the Regal Princess in July. We have 4 children the youngest are 6 and 8. They both had their first vaccination but we won’t be in time to have the second one.

I wish I had booked a later cruise now but to switch to something else would cost thousands of pounds more.

We haven’t left the UK since the summer of 2019 and I’m really worried about all the testing prior to the cruise as well as the port stops. 
We have been on several cruises but this would be our first European cruise.

Were Princess fine about issuing a full refund?

Any advice appreciated, thanks 

9 hours ago, annarack said:

Spoke to our agent today and he thinks the wording is pretty clear that we would not be allowed off unless on an excursion. 

Your agent is not correct. See post below by Jmox84 for correct information

9 hours ago, Jmox84 said:

We are traveling out of the UK with our 4.5 year old who is too young to be vaccinated in July.  wording online is not very clear, but from the multiple agents we have talked to, it seems that the clause is there to warn passengers that the decision to allow passengers to go ashore rests fully with the country in question and NOT with Princess.  We clarified this with multiple agents as we made final payment yesterday.  The countries we are visiting do not have any restrictions on travel in place for unvaccinated children under 5.  We thus (currently) have no concerns about her not being able to go ashore.  That said, it is beyond Princess' control if those countries change that policy in future.

Following post also confirms it is not a Princess requirement. (I like the attempt to push for a Princess excursion anyway).

8 hours ago, annarack said:

It's so tough, isn't it.  I had also queried direct with Princess via Twitter and have just had this reply:

it really depends on the requirements of each port and those requirements are always subject to change. To be on the safe side, it is best to book a Princess excursion.

We are going ahead with our 1 year old next month and taking a chance that she can go ashore without an overpriced Princess excursion.  We'll try to get off at the first stop and see what happens! Part of me even wonders if the security at the exit would even know if an excursion was booked or not.

If it all goes wrong we'll have to head straight to the shore excursions desk!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jetstreamer said:

We are going ahead with our 1 year old next month and taking a chance that she can go ashore without an overpriced Princess excursion.  We'll try to get off at the first stop and see what happens! Part of me even wonders if the security at the exit would even know if an excursion was booked or not.

If it all goes wrong we'll have to head straight to the shore excursions desk!

Great idea. Please keep us updated after your cruise and fingers crossed you can get off and self explore 

I'd love to hear how your experience goes once you are back.  

It also seems they now require testing every 4 days for the unvaccinated regardless of age...lots of tough stuff for children so young.  I look forward to hearing first hand experiences on how Princess handles it all (and the wee ones!).