Best tips for packing with kids for extended trip

Eli_6

We are going on a 3+ week trip to the UK and on a cruise out of Dover. We are from the US.  We will be staying in several different places during our stay requiring us to pack/unpack multiple times. Fortunately, my kids will be 8 and 9 at the time of the cruise so can do a lot for themselves.  What do you recommend for packing? I almost wonder if (at least until we get on the ship and can do laundry) if I should even pack for them day by day (i.e. separate ziplock bag or travel cube for each day).  I hear so much about the travel cubes and I am interested in trying them. Anyone have any particular brand they recommend? Any other products or tips that will make this situation easier?

• 4 weeks later...

I typically pack outfits per day for my 6 year old. Socks and underwear rolled or folded inside shirt and shorts, stacked inside a packing cube. Plus some extra pants and shirts in case of spills. I also pack for planning to do a larger load of laundry every 8-10 days. 

I don’t have a brand recommendation but go for lightweight and I prefer the two sided kind (clean on one side, dirty on the other). 

• 2 weeks later...

Start by thinking about how your kids like to dress. Do you have a fashion plate who will be sad without cute outfits, or a low key kid who would happily wear the same t-shirt and jeans at all times if allowed?

If I knew I would have access to laundry facilities, I would pack MUCH lighter, especially for my kid who doesn't crave variety in his clothes. That might mean each person only bring 2 pants, 2 shorts, 4 shirts, and accessories for a trip of unlimited length. (Depends if we've got tight connections or want to go carry on only.)

I create capsule wardrobes for my kids as for myself when I want to pack light. That means all items match each other.

For a cruise, I would make sure I had at least two outfits meeting evening dress codes for each, but possibly not more than that (long sleeves, long pants for my sons) if my kid preferred casual shorts and t-shirts. One non-itchy sweater that matches everything, dressy enough for dinner, to layer with all of it. Where weather may vary a lot, which may be true in the UK in summer, I add a set of long underwear that will render lightweight summer clothing warm enough for an unseasonably cool evening if needed; long johns work well as pj's, too.

I do use packing cubes, but I only pack them by the day for road trips where we bring in exactly the next day's clothing and no others. (Nightwear and toiletries in a separate bag with swimsuits and towels in that case.)

For cruises or other vacations where we plan to unpack, I color code per person, so Mom's clothing is purple packing cubes, big kid is yellow, little kid is blue... but put all trousers/bottoms in one packing cube, tops in another, socks and undies in a third (or 3rd & 4th, depending upon volume.)