Does it make sense for me to consider Virgin?

baelor

I am new to cruising and will take my first cruise (which is on Royal) in the fall.  I want to try different types of cruise lines, and Virgin obviously stood out as something different.  If it matters, I am in my early 30s and male.

There are a lot of things that are really appealing--the fact that it is closer to an adults-only all-inclusive than many other lines, the focus on quality dining over quantity dining and the somewhat adventurous menus, fun-but-not-crazy party vibes, and the good pricing for solo cruisers, which I may well end up being.

That being said, there were a couple of things that were really concerning to me.  

1.  The vibe being too sexual.  The sex pack in the cabins, the ice cream parlor named after cunnilingus, and the "burlesque"/sex-advice show, and marketing about free condoms are all major turn-offs for me.  And while I like some drag queens fine (shoutout to Trixie), drag acts are often very sexual.  I have also seen videos and reviews of some of the activities, like a shakeweight fitness class, that were also laden with innuendo.  I assume this is not ubiquitous on board and maybe just part of the marketing push, but I want to make sure that there are, in fact, activities and stuff that are not very sexual.  I also want to make sure that I will be able to get through the cruise without being frequently asked about my own sex life and hearing about others'.  This may make me a prude, but whatever.  I am okay with sexual innuendos in entertainment but not when it is like the whole point.

2.   There not being enough stuff to do.  I realistically will do at most one, maybe two fitness/wellness activities a day.  The website and other reviews are a little vague on what else there is to do.  I see trivia, bingo, and shows mentioned, but it still seems like the sea days are a bit empty, especially for a solo cruiser and the fact that concern 1 above may eliminate some stuff.  I would read for a couple of hours a day and probably take advantage of the arcade/game room a bit.

3.  It being too loud everywhere if I just want a quieter moment.

We have only been on one cruise on Scarlet so far so others may be able to chime in and offer more suggestions and comments but this is my take...

1.There is absolutely a lot of innuendo but that is all it is - no one is going to force you into doing anything you don't want to do. Virgin Voyages is totally laid back and very accepting of everyone no matter what your preferences are. I would avoid going to the Never Sleep Alone show for sure as you probably would not find it entertaining or comfortable if the name of the ice cream shop is offensive to you. Although sailing with Virgin is marketed as adult only it is not a swingers cruise etc. We didn't witness any overtly sexual actions anywhere. And I highly doubt that anyone would ask you about your sex life or broadcast theirs to you unless you somehow put out the vibe that you were receptive to such a thing.

2. Personally we loved the laid back vibe of the ship. We likened it to being at a beach resort - during the day we chill by the pool and the best entertainment so to speak is people watching or reading a book and enjoying some great cocktails. It is definitely not like Royal caribbean in that there are no ziplines, rock climbing walls, surfing etc so if that is more your vibe than Virgin might not be for you. One thing that is nice about Virgin is they offer short cruises - so maybe book yourself on a quick 4 nighter to see if you like it or not! . We found the days went too fast and we actually didn't have enough time to do what we wanted to. That is why we booked a 7 and 15 nighter on Virgin for next year! Only you know best what will work for you and what won't so maybe don't take someone's word for it - try it yourself and see 🙂

3. If you value your quiet time I would really suggest you book into a Rock Star suite. This will give you access to Richard's Rooftop which doesn't have the loud music or any big crowds. Tons of nice comfy seating where you can sit undisturbed if that is what you are feeling. At the same time, being solo there may be a time when you feel more social and I think it is super easy to make friends on board.

Good luck with your decision! 

• Like 4

I haven't been on Scarlet Lady yet, but that will change soon. I'm going to re-enter cruising and will be going solo. Ripoff solo cabin supplemental (or no discount) rates were a turn off, so I was attracted to Virgins solo insider cabins. I also like the good food aspect. From what I read and see on YouTube, Virgin Voyages have some of the best food anywhere. I want internet access and love the all inclusive aspect for the basic access, as well as no surcharge for any of the specialty restaurants. I'm not a big drinker, so all inclusive soda and bottled juices are fine for me. If I want fresh squeezed I'll just pay for it. Their excursions are reasonable....another plus. Noise may be a factor for me, but I'm going to have to see for myself. It will only be an issue if it keeps me up late at night. Entertainment (or lack thereof) is where I may have a problem. I know the performers work hard and put on a good show, but it seems that is where VV may have a weak spot. Very trendy and athletic is great, but I'm thinking there should be more variety. I know VV strives to be different, but it remains to be seen if this business model will survive "as is" or will need to morph and tweak some things. Either way, I'm excited to try them now and maybe in another year or two to see if anything is different. I would say go for it. I'll bet you'll have a great cruise. 

• Like 1

For #1 - innuendo might be there but i didn’t think it was in your face at all. I was never uncomfortable with anything on board. 

#2 - on vacation, I am perfectly content to do nothing. We didn’t do really any of the activities and still had a great time. There were plenty of things to do, but not on a grand scale.  

#3 - I didn’t find it loud at all. The Dock (aft deck on the ship) was perfect.  Good eats / drinks, comfy day beds, and chill not loud music. I preferred that to Richard’s rooftop to be honest. 

I think quality over quantity is the perfect

description for Virgin. 

• Like 2

First off, welcome to cruising! We've been sailing since 2006 and are sailing Scarlet Lady in July. It will be our 16th cruise and 8th cruise line because we like to explore and see what everyone has to offer.

We booked Scarlet Lady primarily because of the food experience. It does sound like the ship is a very quiet, chill place during the day which is fine by us, but what we will be missing is an indoor solarium style pool. That is our favorite place to chill on any cruise ship during the day. But of course we knew that going in to the booking. We have a Cheeky Corner Suite so we will have plenty of room to chill on our balcony or in Richard's Rooftop.

Another line line you may consider is Celebrity. The Edge Class does have solo cabins and they are considered a 'luxury line' that now includes a drinks package and WiFi with all bookings. You will still need to pay for the specialty dining, but the main dining room and a few other spots will be included, but the cocktails, soft drinks and WiFi will be included. We've sailed Celebrity four times and it's a nice blend of super chill during the day, but with a lot of scheduled activities if you want to do stuff. And a full slate of entertainment in the evenings. They also have some of the best bars at sea if you enjoy your cocktails. While not 'adults-only' Celebrity does skew more adults because there are no major 'kid-friendly outdoor activities like the Royal ships, so you find far fewer children on board those ships. 

They're probably the closest to what Virgin has to offer in terms of the other 'mainstream' cruise lines if you want to compare. Again, welcome to the cruise family! 

Thanks for all the perspectives!  I like chill vacations, but I also like being able to do some activities, especially at the price point that Virgin is at.  After all, I can read my book all day at home.  

It sounds like maybe I should wait until they expand their daytime programming, if that happens.