Motril cancellation May 28 Wind expedition

wren2

I was wondering why no excursions were now showing for Motril on MySilversea and called the London office but they had no explanation. Then when I looked on the main Silversea website, Motril had now changed to a Sea day.  No port charges or excursions for Silversea to fund.  I am also booked on the Cloud expedition in September, which again features Motril, so have asked if this is still a port of call. I hope so.

Last year, although disappointed, I understood the cancellation of Madeira in October and Valletta in November due to covid reasons. Then Palamos and Mahon cancelled in April. I am wondering if the despatch of cruise documents being changed from 30 days before sailing to 15 days beforehand, is so that these port changes can be made at the last minute. Have other passengers had last minute changes by Silversea? I hope this will not become part of their business practice.

We received pre-cruise Covid testing requirements this week but we are at Day 13 and have not received our actual cruise e-documents nor have any of our friends received theirs.  I have checked junk mail etc. There do not appear to be any itinerary changes either on the website or in MySilversea.  Not sure if there are last minute changes but I will post on here if there are. 

Port changes are not in themselves concerning, but Motril, which is the port for Granada and the Alhambra, is a significant loss in a cultural expedition cruise.  This is also the first cruise for the Wind after refurbishment, isn't it?  I'll be watching this thread with interest...

According to CruiseMapper, Motril is not showing any port activity for June 2022 (the month is not even listed), and almost none in July.  The Cloud is still scheduled to port twice in September, however.  

4 hours ago, wren2 said:

Then when I looked on the main Silversea website, Motril had now changed to a Sea day

I don't recall Motril being a port of call for this cruise. I checked the tour programme pdf that I downloaded on March 11 and it was not there, so it's definitely not a last-minute disappearance if it indeed was there to begin with.  The Cloud Malta to Valetta does include Motril.

Look forward to cruising with you Wren!

Motril was definitely there and was the port for the Alhambra. Email from Silversea today, saying that Algeria was not admitting cruise ships so that is cancelled. Now Motril is showing again on My Silversea but no excursions listed as yet. Instead of Meet The Berbers in Algeria, I would hope it is the Alhambra from Motril. I am pleased to say Silversea is extending the pier side testing until late June.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 6:35 AM, wren2 said:

Last year, although disappointed, I understood the cancellation of Madeira in October and Valletta in November due to covid reasons. Then Palamos and Mahon cancelled in April. I am wondering if the despatch of cruise documents being changed from 30 days before sailing to 15 days beforehand, is so that these port changes can be made at the last minute. Have other passengers had last minute changes by Silversea? I hope this will not become part of their business practice.

Documents received Day 13.  No apparent changes  but itinerary is not mentioned in cruise docs except by number…no ports listed.

On 5/13/2022 at 7:59 AM, wren2 said:

Motril was definitely there and was the port for the Alhambra.

My Silversea finally showed the excursions for Motril; thought you should know, Wren. Sadly, it doesn't include the Alhambra.

You guys received notification of the port change way before we did in Australia.  We have visited the Alhambra and it is amazing.  Dissapointed for those who have not visited this part of Spain that it is not an included excursion but it is worth the effort to book a private tour if you don't intend to visit this port again.  I'm still in the middle of packing as I need to pack both summer clothes (it is going to be 31c in Athens when we arrive) and clothes for the Artic.  Also knowing the United Kingdom rain jackets and layers as we will be visiting Northern Scotland and it always rains there!

• Like 1

It does seem a bit perverse of Silversea not to offer a Granada excursion, especially when their description of Motril focuses on Granada.  Perhaps they think it's a bit touristy for an expedition ship.  Certainly this cruise does go to many esoteric ports.  There are several tour operators who can pick you up from the ship at Motril port and drive you up to Granada.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fletcher said:

It does seem a bit perverse of Silversea not to offer a Granada excursion, especially when their description of Motril focuses on Granada.

I agree! The Alhambra is a big feature on the Cloud itinerary that stops in Motril.  My husband wonders if maybe they can't acquire enough tickets to the Alhambra on short notice.  I wish they would offer a transit-only option, as there are local guides who can provide tickets. The trip to Granada seems to be about the same distance as the drive along the coast, and I'd rather wander Granada on my own than go searching for jamon in coastal villages 🙂 

Does anyone have a tour operator they recommend for a pickup in Motril? I'm not finding them easily, except for one that charges $600 per person.

$600.00 per person is a steep charge, especialyl when you think that if you purchased a cruise tour it would be at the most $250.00 each ( and that is being generous).  Maybe when you get on board and start talking to other guests they may also want to do the Alhambra and you can get the tour desk to arrange a group tour.  Normally you could start a thread on this and guests would reply but it looks like people are not posting or joining roll calls as much as pre-covid.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FauxNom said:

Does anyone have a tour operator they recommend for a pickup in Motril? I'm not finding them easily, except for one that charges $600 per person.

There is an outfit called SpainDayTours which a lot of CC people seem to like. I have booked with them for September, initially a mini-van group thing but probably will end up with a private car and driver for about €400 which is OK for two people and with total freedom about where and when you go.  They handle tickets etc for the Alhambra complex which is huge and a tourist hot-spot with frequent over-crowding. As a keen photographer I think it's important to visit the viewpoint called Mirador de San Nicolas which is in Granada city itself.  Hardly any ship tours go there and, naturally, Silversea's blurb on Motril mentions it.  

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1