Has Anyone Recently Used Uber from LHR to London?

thekidsandi

I will be on a cruise from Dover in July and will be spending a few days in London prior. In researching transportation from LHR to a London hotel, it seems quite expensive.  Uber's estimated cost seems much more reasonable.  I'm just wondering if anyone has any recent experience with using Uber in London and if their estimated prices are close to accurate. I know that circumstances can alter the cost a little.

I suspect the difference will be marginal. Its expensive because Heathrow to central London is a long way.

Rush hour will be more expensive due to the traffic, but a black cab can use bus lanes, an Uber can't.

If you want cheap consider using the Tube or Heathrow express rail service.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Following. If I go on a public mass cruise it will be from the UK. They just seem classier. And I'll def be starting or ending the trip with some time to party it up in London. Love the clubs there. Never had a bad time.

• 2 months later...

hopefully of use to anyone looking…..

Since the Heathrow drop off/pick up charge was introduced that’s impacted fares.

uber has never been a great option into central London, usually at the same price point as a London cab.

You will likely find most if not all transfer services are around the same cost. Certainly worth taking a look. 
All Terminals are well served by the Piccadilly Line which is around 45 minutes into central London and rail service into Paddington. Heathrow Express is quicker yet a lot more expensive than the other rail service with stops. 

TFL and Nationrail both have decent information. 
public transport really doesn’t work for everyone, especially with luggage.

Uber is not a great option from Heathrow.  The driver cannot meet you in the arrivals hall, nor can they wait on the roadway.  You have to make your own way to a designated area in the parking garage.

Also, while I don;t use Uber, lots of people who do use it have noticed a big drop in availiibity - many drivers are not accepting Uber work as they are not making a decent return.

If you want to go by road, use a Private Hire (effectively a pre booked taxi car service) which is a fixed price and the driver will meet you at arrivals.  Blackberry is one - there are many others.

Public transport to most of central London is usually faster and vastly cheaper than a road journey.  The exact advice depends on where in London you are headed for (central London is huge).  Most stations have esclators and lifts.

By the way.  The free bus mentioned above is out of date.  Free buses no longer operate from Heathrow

I regularly use a private hire taxi company from LHR to where I need to go.
The one I use I pre book them give them my flight details and then after landing I get a text message or WhatsApp from the driver. When I have my luggage I inform him/her and by the time I reach the meeting point the car is there.
On advantage at the time of booking you know the exact price (usually only cash payments).