Help!!! My flight has been bumped by a whole day!

Jchivers

This isn't specifically a Viking issue, but I thought somebody here would be able to guide me as to how to rectify this.

I'm on Trade Routes of the Middle Ages, Bergen to Barcelona.  It begins with an overnight in Bergen; we were planning to board on September 27, and the ship sails at 6:00 PM on September 28.  

I booked my own flight arrangements with Air Canada.  

I just got an email from AirCanada saying that regretfully they've had to make a change to my flight.  They've done this before, and I expected to see just a change by an hour or so on one leg.  But no: they moved the entire trip by 24 hours.  All the same flights, but instead of leaving SFO on Sept 26 and arriving in Bergen on Sept 27, it's now Sept 27 - 28.  Instead of 26 hours in Bergen, we'll have 2 hours.

First: CAN THEY DO THAT????

Second: If I call Air Canada and yell at them can they move me back?

Third: Is there any point in calling Viking?  Can they do anything?

Edited by Jchivers

I know you were being hyperbolic, but I wouldn't recommend yelling at them. 🙂 They absolutely can come up with a better option that what they assigned to you. There could be any of number of reason why the routing you were on is no longer an option, but they owe you a much better routing - and they have options, if not on Air Canada aircraft, certainly with partner airlines. Those kind of changes are what the computer spits out, so getting a human on the phone is essential. I will be shocked - and tempted to yell myself - if they don't get you there with in a few hours before or after your original plan. 

• Like 1

Since you booked the flight yourself, I doubt Viking can/will do anything.  

A similar thing happened to me on a business trip.  Basically, I told the airline I already was already scheduled to be picked up, had meetings scheduled, etc and I had to be at my location.  They offered an alternate routing which I took.

Edited by The Other Tom

More details: Air Canada is in the Star Alliance which includes, among others, United and Lufthansa, both of which are showing one-stop service SFO-BGO on 9/26, so you should be fine. (Note: Air Canada needs to take care of that - don't call the other airlines.)

Also, you are far enough out from your travel dates that it could change again, including restoration of your original plans. 

In case you can't tell - I traveled for business for 30+ years!

Edited by cmaasfamily
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, shadowlover said:

If the airlines have significantly changed your itinerary you have every right to cancel and get your money back and book with someone else.  Hope you find the times and dates you need!

That is of course true, just be very sure you understand current airfares (which are up dramatically in the last month or so) before playing that card. Air Canada should honor the fair you paid and on a similar routing - even if they have to put you on another carrier. 

I learned from a recent experience that when flights are canceled, there is a "computer program" that generates an alternate itinerary. This may not even be reviewed by a real person. The "program" recently changed our itinerary to one with us flying out of Baltimore International and returning to Dulles in Washington DC. That would have our car 60 miles from where we landed! We got that changed. Get a person involved. Good luck!

Edited by lackcreativity

Yes, you need to call the airlines.  Be nice but firm.  Tell them this change is unacceptable.  I bet they can offer a better alternative for you.  This type of thing has happened to me, always resolved in a satisfactory manner.  Good luck!

You need to call the airlines.  Delta did this to us last winter for our flight home from Santiago.  

The Jupiter was supposed to dock 12/22, and we had flight reservations I had made to leave that night.  Delta contacted me about a month before we left that our flight had been moved to 12/20.  Yeah….that wasn’t gonna work, we were still going to be sailing fjords then.  The alternative on 12/22 had us connecting through 4 different airports instead of one.  We wound up changing our flight to 12/23 instead.  We had a night in Santiago, and had to find another Covid test, but everything worked out for us.  

Before calling I always research alternate flights myself both for the airline in question and alternates.  That way when you reach a live human (after hours on hold) you can tell them what flight and seats you want.  When presented with both a problem and a reasonable solution they are usually happy to assist.

• Like 1

In Canada there are a set of rules about this sort of change.   When the alteration to the schedule exceeds 2 hours you should have been offered an opportunity to refuse the change and get a full refund.

Well, that turned out as well as could possibly be expected: easy peasy, no drama.  AC put us back on the original flight out of SFO, and then Amsterdam - BGO instead of Copenhagen - BGO.  All done.  

One wonders why they didn't just do this in the first place...but I'm not complaining.

Thanks, all, for your guidance and support!

• Like 5

As the airlines begin to see passenger volume increase on international flights, people with deeply discounted fare reservations are finding their reservations changed to less desirable combinations. Which frees up a seat for a person willing to pay a higher fare. The airline can make this happen by substituting a similar aircraft with slightly less capacity on one of the legs of a trip. So, 50 reservations go bye-bye

The Wall Street Journal had an article about this a few months ago. The increase in yield by dumping a $500 fare for a $2,500 fare is impressive.

We booked our own flights home from Paris for this September. The airline (Westjet) just made a similar change, having us leave a day later. After conversation with my DH, we're staying an extra day in Paris. What a shame 🙂 

• Haha 1

Glad it got sorted out for you! We are on that same cruise. Flying from Daytona Beach to Bergen the night of the 26th. Already had to make a change on return from Barcelona so we wouldn't have to spend 6 1/2hrs in Atlanta! Hope to meet you! 

• Like 1