Question for anyone recently on 7-day Panorama re changing time

Sten0127

Hello,

We are going on the Panorama in July and I'm trying to coordinate some activities in the ports on my own.  I was just wondering if the time adjusts on the ship at all between when you leave Long Beach and get to Puerto Vallarta, or if they just keep it on Long Beach time the whole cruise.

Thanks so much for any information you can give me!

It does change but its a bit confusing because its not always coordinating with the time in the port. I would have to check the carnival hub app to make sure about ship time, but my iPhone was sometimes off as well when it came to "real" time. In other words, I never knew what time it was!

4 hours ago, pinto18 said:

It does change but its a bit confusing because its not always coordinating with the time in the port. I would have to check the carnival hub app to make sure about ship time, but my iPhone was sometimes off as well when it came to "real" time. In other words, I never knew what time it was!

Why would they do that?

This the explanation for time adjustments on sailings that stop first in Cabo. For sailings that stop first in PV it is more complicated. 

When you board, ships time is Pacific Daylight Time (UTC-7.) We leave Saturday and sail all day Sunday and arrive Monday in Cabo. The ship remains on PDT all during the time in Cabo. Take note that Cabo is an hour later (UTC-6), so be careful because your phone will probably change the time it displays. My advice is keep your watch on ships time to avoid missing the boat. Sailing away from Cabo at 2 am Tuesday morning ships time adjusts one hour forward to UTC-6. Your ships time will be synchronized to Mazatlán time which is also UTC-6. Leaving Mazatlán we arrive in Puerto Vallarta on Wednesday, Ships time remains at UTC-6, however, time in PV is UTC-5! Oh my, they are an hour ahead of ships time. Again keep a sharp eye on your watch and ignore the clock on your phone. PV is your last chance to stock up on Mexican Vanilla. (it's a thing, like the ducks) Sailing away from PV at 2 am Thursday ships time rolls back one hour to UTC-7. It will remain on PDT for the rest of the voyage. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Moviela said:

This the explanation for time adjustments on sailings that stop first in Cabo. For sailings that stop first in PV it is more complicated. 

When you board, ships time is Pacific Daylight Time (UTC-7.) We leave Saturday and sail all day Sunday and arrive Monday in Cabo. The ship remains on PDT all during the time in Cabo. Take note that Cabo is an hour later (UTC-6), so be careful because your phone will probably change the time it displays. My advice is keep your watch on ships time to avoid missing the boat. Sailing away from Cabo at 2 am Tuesday morning ships time adjusts one hour forward to UTC-6. Your ships time will be synchronized to Mazatlán time which is also UTC-6. Leaving Mazatlán we arrive in Puerto Vallarta on Wednesday, Ships time remains at UTC-6, however, time in PV is UTC-5! Oh my, they are an hour ahead of ships time. Again keep a sharp eye on your watch and ignore the clock on your phone. PV is your last chance to stock up on Mexican Vanilla. (it's a thing, like the ducks) Sailing away from PV at 2 am Thursday ships time rolls back one hour to UTC-7. It will remain on PDT for the rest of the voyage. 

That's absolutely nuts.  It has to be a pain for the crew as well.

After I asked this question, I googled it and found an older cruise critic post on this from February this year.  The cruise we are going on stops in Puerto Vallarta first, then Mazatlan, then Cabo.  In the earlier post, they said that on Sunday night, you turn your clocks ahead one hour, which still puts you an hour behind Puerto Vallarta time, but then you are on the correct time in Mazatlan and Cabo, and then after leaving Cabo, you switch back to Long Beach time.  So you only change the time once, and you're one hour behind in Puerto Vallarta instead on two.

I'm hoping that is still the case, so I can make my Puerto Vallarta plans with that.

Thank you for everyone's replies!

It seems more complicated than it is, the easy way to keep track of it is to look on your phone, the Hub app will always display ship time on top. It's really not that complicated, the time forward and back happen late at night and it's easy to check the top of the app if you are ever unsure and/or before exiting the ship in port. 

I wasn't concerned about it being complicated on the ship.  I just wanted to make sure I would be able to make a taco tour on time in Puerto Vallarta before I booked it.  🙂

29 minutes ago, Sten0127 said:

I wasn't concerned about it being complicated on the ship.  I just wanted to make sure I would be able to make a taco tour on time in Puerto Vallarta before I booked it.  🙂

You'll have plenty of time, heck, you can go on an excursion, return to the ship and shyt, shower, shave, get dressed and head back out with many hours left. PV is one of the longest port days and the ship doesn't even sail away until well after dark. Should be GTG. Have a great trip!   

I was just on the Panorama last week.  Our sailing was 2 sea days with Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlán, Cabo in that order.  On Sunday they announce to move our clocks forward one hour.  Ship time was now on Puerto Vallarta time.  We didn't move back until the last sea day to Pacific time.  All ports were on mountain time which was the ship time.  So no confusion.

It's pretty straight forward: on Sunday night, clocks are moved forward an hour.,  on Thursday night, they fall back an hour.  This means that the local time in PV will be one hour ahead of the ship time, and the local time at the other two ports will match the ship time.  

On 5/13/2022 at 11:57 AM, pinto18 said:

I thought you always stayed on "ship time" which is the time zone that you embark? Like, I am EST and I have always stayed on EST or ship time not port time.

37 minutes ago, sthrnbll said:

I thought you always stayed on "ship time" which is the time zone that you embark? Like, I am EST and I have always stayed on EST or ship time not port time.

Yes, you always stay on ship time, which may not necessarily agree with the time zone you're in.  PV is two hours ahead of Los Angeles and one hour ahead of ship time, for example.  Always best to look at the ship time on the ship's clocks or in the HUB app.  When connected to Carnival's WiFi, my phone kept switching back to Los Angeles time...

Just returned from a cruise on the Panorama. This was our 3rd time on this itinerary since the restart.

First of all, "ship time" is whatever time that the ship says it is. It doesn't depend on where you start or what time you think it should be. On the Panorama, the ship time moves one hour forward on Monday morning at 2 am. When you get to Puerto Vallarta, ship time is one hour behind port time. This is done in order for the crew to maintain some order to their schedule. Puerto Vallarta is two hours ahead of Los Angeles. When you get to Mazatlan ship time and port time will align. Mazatlan and Cabo are in the same time zone. The best thing to do is turn off automatic time zones on your phone. Remember that if you restart your phone in port automatic time zones will reengage.  Manually set your phone to ship time and check the time on your TV or on the HUB App to confirm. It never hurts to ask security what time they have when they scan you off the ship and confirm when you have to be back. This way you can enjoy the day in port without worrying about making a mistake in regards to the time.

• Thanks 1

The only time I wear a watch is when I'm on a cruise.  I always set it to ship's time and be sure to wear it when on the ship or in port.  That's the easiest way for me and even though I use the hub app on my phone when I'm on the ship I still wear my watch and don't bother checking the time on my phone. 

They had us change the time on the second sea day. We did Los Angeles > Puerto Vallarta > Mazatlan > Cabo > back to Los Angeles

Saturday: Left port at 6 PM

Sunday: Sea Day

Monday: Sea Day, change clocks that evening forward 1 hour. They told us to change time there. 

Tuesday: Puerto Vallarta, Vallarta was ahead of ship time by one hour. 

Wednesday: Mazatlan, ahead of ship time by one hour.

Thursday: Cabo, the time finally matched.

Friday: Sea day, change time back to Pacific. 

Saturday: Arrive back in Port. 

I kind of wish the ship time would just jump the two hours. I'd prefer that versus the local time being off. 

12 hours ago, ashkir said:

They had us change the time on the second sea day. We did Los Angeles > Puerto Vallarta > Mazatlan > Cabo > back to Los Angeles

Saturday: Left port at 6 PM

Sunday: Sea Day

Monday: Sea Day, change clocks that evening forward 1 hour. They told us to change time there. 

Tuesday: Puerto Vallarta, Vallarta was ahead of ship time by one hour. 

Wednesday: Mazatlan, ahead of ship time by one hour.

Thursday: Cabo, the time finally matched.

Friday: Sea day, change time back to Pacific. 

Saturday: Arrive back in Port. 

I kind of wish the ship time would just jump the two hours. I'd prefer that versus the local time being off. 

Good summary, but one correction: PV is two hours ahead of Los Angeles, whereas Mazatlan & Cabo are one; thus, with clocks moving forward one hour onboard the ship, PV is one hour ahead of ship time whereas Mazatlan & Cabo are equal to ship time.

• Like 1